Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Do you like accent lights?  (Read 3834 times)

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Do you like accent lights?
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »

I was wondering what you guys think about L.E.D. accent lighting? The ones used to light up chrome/engine at night. Cheesy or cool? I've only been on this site for a few months, but have not seen the topic come up. Is it a fad that has faded?
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Do you like accent lights?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »

If it has then I won't turn mine on in a crowd I like them.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:25:49 PM »

I'm with you Chains. I like them too. But have never had them. When it comes down to it all that really matters is if the owner (and wife) likes them. Just kinda curious about the lack of chatter on the subject.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »

To each his own tastes.  But they were never my thing.  It's a motorcycle.  Not a cheesy lounge with bad lighting that you know all the liquor is watered down in.

mark

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »

No

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »

Nope
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »

No!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 10:55:17 PM »

no, not my thing
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 12:07:28 AM »

They've pretty much run their course.

I had them on my 04 SEEG and on my 10 SESG but they'd already pretty much ran their course by then.  Huge safety feature though.....nobody can say they didn't see you.  :nixweiss:

Here's the 04 SEEG.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=3590.msg47027#msg47027

And here's the 10 SESG.....also had the blue Dakota Digital gauges and so everything matched on this bike....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.msg641697#msg641697
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »

In Louisiana it's illegal to have a Blue light on any vehicle unless you are a Policeman or other Emergency Vehicle. So don't go Blue lights
In Louisiana . You will get an expensive ticket even on 1st offense

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »

In Virginia you can't run accent lights on the road so the LED lights would be for parking lots and driveway use, maybe get away with it in a holiday parade type event though too.
I know LEDs use very little electricity but I have a fear of running them while parked then not being able to start the bike.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »

In Virginia you can't run accent lights on the road so the LED lights would be for parking lots and driveway use, maybe get away with it in a holiday parade type event though too.
I know LEDs use very little electricity but I have a fear of running them while parked then not being able to start the bike.
That may change soon...

Motorcycle Auxiliary Light Bill Pushed to Next Senate Transportation Committee Meeting
March 2, 2016

Our Auxiliary light bill, HB 939, met with strong opposition from Chairman Carrico yesterday.  He has adopted the position of the Virginia State Police and spoke strongly against the bill.  However, before a vote could be called, the committee room was evacuated due to a tornado warning.  The bill has been pushed to the next meeting of the Senate Transportation Committee on March 2, 2016.

We have a week to shore up our support for this bill.  It is important that we keep the emails flowing to the members of the committee.  It is even more important that we have bodies at the capitol on March 2nd.  The committee needs to know that this is an issue important to motorcyclists.

We are asking motorcyclists to come to the General Assembly building on the morning of March 2nd to lobby and express support for HB 939.  VCOM will host a reception in the 7th Floor West Conference Room from 10:00 am to 11:30 am.  That afternoon, after session when the Transportation Committee convenes, we would like to have a show of solidarity for this legislation.

If you can be there please email me and let me know. The General Assembly Building is located at 201 N. 9th St., Richmond, Virginia.  There is parking on Grace St. between 6th & 7th Streets, as well as on 7th St. between Broad and Marshall and at the corner of 8th and Marshall.

When emailing members of the Senate Transportation Committee, remember to point out the following:

The bill increases visibility of motorcycles, especially at night;

Unlike automobiles which are required to have side marker lights or wrap around headlights / tail lights which are visible from the side, motorcycle lights are often only visible from the front and rear and do not have the same illumination as automobiles;

NHTSA published a report on the effectiveness of side marker lights on motor vehicles.  The report concluded that side marker lights are a cost effective safety device which reduce the number of nighttime angular collisions that occur in the United States;

Several surrounding states, including Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, have passed similar legislation and motorcyclists from those states are currently riding on Virginia roads with similar lighting.  It makes sense to give Virginia motorcyclists the same safety tools that out of state riders already use on Virginia roads.

Please support this sensible bill which makes motorcycles more visible at night.  The list of committee members is below.  When you send emails it is best to send an email to each Senator individually.  It is also helpful to include your address if you are a constituent.

If I remember correctly this has already been passed in the house of representatives.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »

In Louisiana it's illegal to have a Blue light on any vehicle unless you are a Policeman or other Emergency Vehicle. So don't go Blue lights
In Louisiana . You will get an expensive ticket even on 1st offense
[/quote

Alabama is the same you better not be running blue or they will stop you and you will get a ticket. Red, amber, green or anything else ok but not blue.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 04:38:16 PM »

More info on the proposed Virginia law change :

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:

Auxiliary lighting on motorcycles and autocycles. Provides that motorcycles and autocycles may be equipped with red or amber standard bulb running lights or light-emitting diode (LED) pods or strips as auxiliary lighting. The bill requires such lights to (i) be directed at the ground, (ii) not emit a beam of light greater than 25 candlepower per bulb, (iii) not be attached to wheels, and (iv) not be blinking, flashing, oscillating, or rotating. Such lighting is not subject to approval by the Superintendent of State Police.

Interesting to see if it becomes law.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »

More info on the proposed Virginia law change :

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:

Auxiliary lighting on motorcycles and autocycles. Provides that motorcycles and autocycles may be equipped with red or amber standard bulb running lights or light-emitting diode (LED) pods or strips as auxiliary lighting. The bill requires such lights to (i) be directed at the ground, (ii) not emit a beam of light greater than 25 candlepower per bulb, (iii) not be attached to wheels, and (iv) not be blinking, flashing, oscillating, or rotating. Such lighting is not subject to approval by the Superintendent of State Police.

Interesting to see if it becomes law.

I do know it makes them more visible and I'm for anything that makes my bike visible to traffic.  I just converted my Tour pack lights to run turn brake and the turn signals by the brake lights too.  The kit also gives a flash for a few seconds letting everyone know you are on the brakes.  I've had too many close calls with car and trucks flying up behind me and stopping just feet from me. Hope it passes for you guys.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.