Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Mo-Door Garage Door Opener  (Read 7012 times)

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: Mo-Door Garage Door Opener
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 07:33:24 PM »

:(
Well,  I finally got the new receiver today.  The one that Zig referenced.  It is exactly like the H.D. receiver in my garage.  It's made by the same company........only diff is no H.D. logo on the front.  Package instructions say it will work with ANY GDO.

Package has an 800 # to call if you run into problems........guess I will ring them up tomorrow.  Cause I cannot get the receiver and transmitter on the bike to talk to each other.  Wired it to the wall switch for the GDO exactly as the old H.D. receiver had been.  But repeated push/and hold on the receiver while my wife flipped the hi/lo beams on/off............did not communicate.  Yes I had the ign switch on as directed in the H.D. manual instructions.

Only "trick" I have not yet tried and will do tomorrrow morning before I ring up their hot line is to back the bike out of the garage and start it up and try it all over again..........thinking that maybe more "juice" from the transmitter might make things work.   :nixweiss:

Even before I had the lightening strike disaster,  my H.D. setup would occassionally not want to work.  Sometimes it took repeated on/offs on the headlite switch to get the damn door to go up. >:(
If I read your post correctly, you said you are holding the button on the receiver down while she flips the switch. If I remember correctly, you press and release the button, the flip the headlight switch.

Also if you are trying to use this with the chaimberlin garage door opener, it probably won't work even though the package says it will work with any opener. Sometimes they lie. The chaimberlains need to have an electronic pushbutton to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:40:31 PM by 4fun »

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 07:42:58 PM »

:confused5:

Well,  I guess I somewhat fit that scenario.  The H.D. GDO unit I have originally came with my '09 SE Ultra Classic as part of the goodies for a CVO.  At some point,  I bought one of those high dollar LED headlights and installed it in the Ultra.  Then in 2014,  I traded the Ultra for a new Street Glide Special and had them remove my LED from the Ultra and swap it into the Streetglide.  Among other stuff,  I also got them to install the H.D. GDO transmitter in the S.G. as I kept the receiver at home in the garage.

But,  mine worked (most) of the time from outside the closed garage door when I would return from a ride.  When leaving the garage,  I would normally just hit the wall switch to open the door.........so "aiming" the headlight as you describe to make yours work was not part of my routine.  Obviously,  there would be no way to point the light at the receiver cause the damn door is still closed.......unless you are just referencing a direct "angle" between the bike headlight and the receiver regardless of an open or closed door. :confused5: :nixweiss:   

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »

:-\
"If I read your post correctly, you said you are holding the button on the receiver down while she flips the switch. If I remember correctly, you press and release the button, the flip the headlight switch.

Also if you are trying to use this with the chaimberlin garage door opener, it probably won't work even though the package says it will work with any opener. Sometimes they lie. The chaimberlains need to have an electronic pushbutton to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk"

Per the instructions in both the receiver package and also the H.D. manual,  I believe I read to "hold" that button down during the process.  That causes that light to "blink" and it continues to blink until it goes (out) as a result of achieving the connection with the transmitter.  ???

But,  I did in fact install two new Chamberlain GDOs and you are correct that the wall switch has to one of theirs that came in the package as my original wall switch would not function.  So I did run the receiver wires into the Chamberlain wall switch as I believe was as per instructions. :drink:

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »

"If I read your post correctly, you said you are holding the button on the receiver down while she flips the switch. If I remember correctly, you press and release the button, the flip the headlight switch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk"

Per the instructions in both the receiver package and also the H.D. manual,  I believe I read to "hold" that button down during the process.  That causes that light to "blink" and it continues to blink until it goes (out) as a result of achieving the connection with the transmitter.  ???

But,  I did in fact install two new Chamberlain GDOs and you are correct that the wall switch has to one of theirs that came in the package as my original wall switch would not function.  So I did run the receiver wires into the Chamberlain wall switch as I believe was as per instructions. :drink:
Ok, I thought you were holding it in all the time.

Did you connect the wires to the terminals on the Chamberlain switch or to the little pushbutton on the printed circuit board in the switch?

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »

moscooter,  Hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase.   I don't know anything about Chamberlain GDO's, only what I read.

In my case, I installed the receiver on the ceiling right at the GDO and wired it directly to the input wiring on the GDO.  I did this because 1) I didn't have an 110v outlet over by the push button wall switch and 2) I figured the reception would be better with the antenna being higher and closer to the door.

If the Chamberlain can not be triggered by a simple voltage and requires some sort of propriatary digital signal - that might cause some issues for any non-Chamberlain device. 

But, not matter what - the transmitter and receiver should work correctly.  The pairing procedure was really simple.  I just followed the directions in my CVO owners manual.

Good luck with this and please report back your findings.

J

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 08:03:28 AM »

Ok, I thought you were holding it in all the time.

Did you connect the wires to the terminals on the Chamberlain switch or to the little pushbutton on the printed circuit board in the switch?

::)
I made my connections from the H.D. receiver to the same connectors on back side of wall switch as was my old setup.  Meaning the same two connectors that the wires from the GDO are connected to via the two screws on the back.

Now,  if you're gonna tell me that (won't get it)..........and I gotta solder those two wires as your picture shows..........we're in real trouble........cause my soldering ability on circuitry that small would be a disaster.  I would fu** up that little circuit board without a doubt. :oops:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »

I made my connections from the H.D. receiver to the same connectors on back side of wall switch as was my old setup.  Meaning the same two connectors that the wires from the GDO are connected to via the two screws on the back.

Now,  if you're gonna tell me that (won't get it)..........and I gotta solder those two wires as your picture shows..........we're in real trouble........cause my soldering ability on circuitry that small would be a disaster.  I would fu** up that little circuit board without a doubt. :oops:

You have to solder the two receiver wires to the pins for the actual switch on the circuit board for the push button.  Connecting to the two screws on the back is the same thing as connecting at the actual opener, and that isn't going to work.  You have to make the circuit board think you pushed that wall button, which connecting at the switch pins will do.  If you don't trust your soldering skills, take the wall control and a couple feet of wire to a friend who can solder electronics and have him or her make and solder two short pigtails to the switch pins.  Then you can attach the other end of those pigtails to the receiver wires with regular crimp connectors.

Where there is a will, there is always a way.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 08:47:13 AM »

Unfortunately yes, it was easy though,  first pre tin the wires with solder, put the wire on the pin then gently heat the wire till the solder melts and your done.

Or do as Jerry says above and find a friend who can do it.

I bought an extra switch from Amazon first for a couple of bucks.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »

:coolblue:
OK,  I'm getting closer now,  but still no cigar.  As recommended by you guys,  I took my wall switch circuit and a length of wire to a local computer repair shop.  In about 5 minutes and lightening my wallet by $20,  I now had those two wires soldered as per the picture.
Came home and drilled a small hole in the side of the button housing to exit those two wires and then hung the switch back on the wall and tested it for normal wall operation and it still worked.

So I hooked up those two wires to my new receiver and several attempts to make the receiver and bike transmitter "talk" to each other still does not work.  So to validate that the two new soldered wires were in fact connected correctly,  I took a bent paperclip and jumped the plastic connector that plugs into the back of the receiver and bingo........the garage door functions. :P

So,  now I'm wondering if somehow there is something amiss with the bike GDO transmitter.  Will be looking into how to determine that tomorrow.  Any ideas let me know.

By the way..................Got a call back from Toronto,  Canada from the (tech rep) for the receiver mfg in response to my previous call.  As some of you have already figured out,  the new Chamberlain electronics do NOT allow their transmitter to work.........so I ended up explaining to him about how to solder those wires and where so it would/could work.  He was gonna pass the info to his team in the lab. :nixweiss:

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 06:28:36 PM »

:coolblue:
OK,  I'm getting closer now,  but still no cigar.  As recommended by you guys,  I took my wall switch circuit and a length of wire to a local computer repair shop.  In about 5 minutes and lightening my wallet by $20,  I now had those two wires soldered as per the picture.
Came home and drilled a small hole in the side of the button housing to exit those two wires and then hung the switch back on the wall and tested it for normal wall operation and it still worked.

So I hooked up those two wires to my new receiver and several attempts to make the receiver and bike transmitter "talk" to each other still does not work.  So to validate that the two new soldered wires were in fact connected correctly,  I took a bent paperclip and jumped the plastic connector that plugs into the back of the receiver and bingo........the garage door functions.

So,  now I'm wondering if somehow there is something amiss with the bike GDO transmitter.  Will be looking into how to determine that tomorrow.  Any ideas let me know.

By the way..................Got a call back from Toronto,  Canada from the (tech rep) for the receiver mfg in response to my previous call.  As some of you have already figured out,  the new Chamberlain electronics do NOT allow their transmitter to work.........so I ended up explaining to him about how to solder those wires and where so it would/could work.  He was gonna pass the info to his team in the lab. :nixweiss:
Good news that your half way there.  Sounds like a possibly a problem with the transmitter or receiver.  I wonder if they are on the same frequency. They should be, I believe it is a rolling code. Maybe try pairing them again now that you got the switch working.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:30:44 PM by 4fun »

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »

Wow good luck with this. I just velcro'd one of the openers to the inside of that flipper thing on the fairing of the RG. $0. And if it breaks I'll swap it out for the one in the wifes truck. :)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »

Just to be sure, these are the directions you are following to pair the transmitter and receiver correct?

Check that a red light is visible on the front of the Harley-Davidson garage door opener receiver, indicating power to the receiver.
See Figure 1. Press and hold the Set button (3) on the Harley-Davidson garage door opener receiver. The LED (2) blinks continuously while the Set button is pressed.
Push the OFF/RUN switch to RUN. Switch the headlamp beam switch using one of these sequences. When the receiver receives a signal from the transmitter, the LED on the transmitter turns off.
Starting from Low beam, switch High, then Low.
Starting from High beam, switch Low, then High.
Release the Set button on the receiver.

** I had to have my wife assist with this.  She had to press and hold the set button while I did the rest.  Remember that you have to continue holding the set button while you do the off/run  low/high routine.   

If they pair correctly, the led will stop flashing and you can release the set button on the receiver.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 07:05:56 PM »

Just to be sure, these are the directions you are following to pair the transmitter and receiver correct?

Check that a red light is visible on the front of the Harley-Davidson garage door opener receiver, indicating power to the receiver.
See Figure 1. Press and hold the Set button (3) on the Harley-Davidson garage door opener receiver. The LED (2) blinks continuously while the Set button is pressed.
Push the OFF/RUN switch to RUN. Switch the headlamp beam switch using one of these sequences. When the receiver receives a signal from the transmitter, the LED on the transmitter turns off.
Starting from High beam, switch Low, then High.

** I had to have my wife assist with this.  She had to press and hold the set button while I did the rest.  Remember that you have to continue holding the set button while you do the off/run  low/high routine.   

If they pair correctly, the led will stop flashing and you can release the set button on the receiver.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »

Starting from High beam, switch Low, then High.When the receiver receives a signal from the transmitter, the LED on the transmitter turns off.

Zig.......The (only) difference that I'm seeing in your instructions versus mine......relate to the bike switches to operate.

My manual says turn the ign.  (on) which I have done each time we have tried this "drill"...........YOUR instructions seem to relate to the Off/Run switch position.  So I'm assuming you (in addition) had the ign switch turned to "on" as well as Run on the Run/Off switch.
Now I cannot say for sure if my Run/Off switch was one way or the other..........but I will try the "Run" position again tomorrow and see if that makes it all work.

By the way..........just for (accuracy sake),  it appears both your instructions and mine use the term (transmitter) when they should have said (reciever) as in the following statement.

"Starting from High beam, switch Low, then High.When the receiver receives a signal from the transmitter, the LED on the transmitter turns off." :oops:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:03 PM »

"Starting from High beam, switch Low, then High.When the receiver receives a signal from the transmitter, the LED on the transmitter turns off." :oops:

Maybe not.  It's been at least three years years since I had to set one of those up.  Think I remember a visible LED on the back side (under the weather seal) of the transmitter.  The description does seem to match the visible LED on the receiver though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.646 seconds with 21 queries.