Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware  (Read 13537 times)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:07:44 PM »

For those who have the Garmin 27XX Series GPS Units c/w XM Radios and do not want to mount their antennaes under the fairings or in your Tour Packs.

A company www.cyclegadgets.com has an inexpensive metal bracket that screws to the back of your Garmin Bike Mount Bracket.

The antennae is held in place by the Magnet in the base and for added security, their are two holes that mate up to the XM Antennae's mounting screw.

I am attaching a couple of pictures.

geezerglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »

Picture 2

geezerglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »

Picture 3,

geezerglide

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »

Does the cable clip into the antenna? If so it would be nice if they make a nice short cable to replace all that excess cable.

JR :bananarock:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »

I was wondering where I was going to put that hocky puck. Are you getting the weather?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 11:18:08 PM »

JR,

No  the cable is fastened to the underside of the bracket by means of Velcro. Yes it would be great if they made a shorter cable.

I was wondering if any of the electronics experts know if you can cut this type cable shorter and splice back together again?

hard10,

No, I did not purchase the additional weather channel.

geezerglide

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »

JR,

No  the cable is fastened to the underside of the bracket by means of Velcro. Yes it would be great if they made a shorter cable.

I was wondering if any of the electronics experts know if you can cut this type cable shorter and splice back together again?

hard10,

No, I did not purchase the additional weather channel.

geezerglide

I'm far from an expert but, that USB wire is small. It's not fiber but close.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 01:22:37 PM »

It would be nice if someone made this bracket in chrome or stainless (so we could polish it).  I know, I know.......OCD!  :coolblue: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »

XM Radio calls it a radio ID number but it's actually an antenna ID number.

Jim (hd-dude) installed mine with the antenna up in the fairing, permanently mounted and hidden out of the way.  Very clean job.  So I want to use the XM portion in my trucks and cars so I buy another antenna, thinking "well, the radio ID is already subscribed to and registere" so shouldn't be any issue. 

I put it in my truck with the new antenna and the GPS works fine but I can't get any reception.  I call 1-800 XM (or whatever the number is) and they ask me for the radio number.  I gave them the number that I had wrote down, from when it was new and they beemed the signal again and said "it should be working".  I tell them it's not.  Anyway, to make a long story short.......I finally figure out that they need the number off of the back of the antenna and want to charge me a new subscription fee for it, as well.  They sent me a signal for just a few minutes, so that I could be sure that was the only problem but I've already got three XM radios going......decided I didn't need a fourth.

So, I've got a new Garmin 2730 XM radio antenna should somebody find theirself needing one.  By the way, being the electronics wizard that he is, Jim did shorten the cable that goes from my GPS to he front of my head unit, successfully.  So that looks pretty clean, too.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 07:34:40 AM »

I know, JC, that suks that you can't use the same subscription with another antenna, but like you say, that consider it the receiver and want to sell you another monthly chg. to use the gps/radio in another vehicle.  And, those antenna's aren't cheep either, are they?  :nervous: har!  Do you have any problems with reception with the antenna in your fairing?   :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 06:20:46 PM »

I'll snap a pic of how I mounted mind and what I did with the cable. later
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 09:03:17 PM »

OK, PortHole.....you can see I need ideas.....I've still got mine in the lower fairing pocket until I can decide where to put the danged thing. ??? :o har!  :drink: spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 10:32:57 PM »

I know, JC, that suks that you can't use the same subscription with another antenna, but like you say, that consider it the receiver and want to sell you another monthly chg. to use the gps/radio in another vehicle.  And, those antenna's aren't cheep either, are they?  :nervous: har!  Do you have any problems with reception with the antenna in your fairing?   :nixweiss: spyder

Nope and nope!  Nope, they're not cheap and nope, no problems with reception.  Jim, is the electronics wizard and he wired my bike.  I think he put the antenna right on top of the stereo head unit.  The only time I loose reception on my bike is when I get up under a heavy canopy of trees.  Mountains have never bothered me and you remember we rode ocean to ocean last year.  I had Bluesville blasting all the way.

With this Garmin w/XM, you might want to check this review that I just did......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18151.0
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:37:20 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 07:27:20 AM »

Thanks, JC.  This old dog is still trying to adapt to all these new-fangled electronics.  I'm really slow w/ this stuff, but once I make the leap, it's no turning back.  Right now, trying to figure out this MP3 deal so I can make the CD player on my SEEG useless.  ???  har!  spyder

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »

Do you still have the pics?  I have this outfit and am waiting for my techmount and cables to arrive before I install?
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.