Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware  (Read 13538 times)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:07:44 PM »

For those who have the Garmin 27XX Series GPS Units c/w XM Radios and do not want to mount their antennaes under the fairings or in your Tour Packs.

A company www.cyclegadgets.com has an inexpensive metal bracket that screws to the back of your Garmin Bike Mount Bracket.

The antennae is held in place by the Magnet in the base and for added security, their are two holes that mate up to the XM Antennae's mounting screw.

I am attaching a couple of pictures.

geezerglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »

Picture 2

geezerglide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »

Picture 3,

geezerglide

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »

Does the cable clip into the antenna? If so it would be nice if they make a nice short cable to replace all that excess cable.

JR :bananarock:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »

I was wondering where I was going to put that hocky puck. Are you getting the weather?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 11:18:08 PM »

JR,

No  the cable is fastened to the underside of the bracket by means of Velcro. Yes it would be great if they made a shorter cable.

I was wondering if any of the electronics experts know if you can cut this type cable shorter and splice back together again?

hard10,

No, I did not purchase the additional weather channel.

geezerglide

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »

JR,

No  the cable is fastened to the underside of the bracket by means of Velcro. Yes it would be great if they made a shorter cable.

I was wondering if any of the electronics experts know if you can cut this type cable shorter and splice back together again?

hard10,

No, I did not purchase the additional weather channel.

geezerglide

I'm far from an expert but, that USB wire is small. It's not fiber but close.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 01:22:37 PM »

It would be nice if someone made this bracket in chrome or stainless (so we could polish it).  I know, I know.......OCD!  :coolblue: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »

XM Radio calls it a radio ID number but it's actually an antenna ID number.

Jim (hd-dude) installed mine with the antenna up in the fairing, permanently mounted and hidden out of the way.  Very clean job.  So I want to use the XM portion in my trucks and cars so I buy another antenna, thinking "well, the radio ID is already subscribed to and registere" so shouldn't be any issue. 

I put it in my truck with the new antenna and the GPS works fine but I can't get any reception.  I call 1-800 XM (or whatever the number is) and they ask me for the radio number.  I gave them the number that I had wrote down, from when it was new and they beemed the signal again and said "it should be working".  I tell them it's not.  Anyway, to make a long story short.......I finally figure out that they need the number off of the back of the antenna and want to charge me a new subscription fee for it, as well.  They sent me a signal for just a few minutes, so that I could be sure that was the only problem but I've already got three XM radios going......decided I didn't need a fourth.

So, I've got a new Garmin 2730 XM radio antenna should somebody find theirself needing one.  By the way, being the electronics wizard that he is, Jim did shorten the cable that goes from my GPS to he front of my head unit, successfully.  So that looks pretty clean, too.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 07:34:40 AM »

I know, JC, that suks that you can't use the same subscription with another antenna, but like you say, that consider it the receiver and want to sell you another monthly chg. to use the gps/radio in another vehicle.  And, those antenna's aren't cheep either, are they?  :nervous: har!  Do you have any problems with reception with the antenna in your fairing?   :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 06:20:46 PM »

I'll snap a pic of how I mounted mind and what I did with the cable. later
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 09:03:17 PM »

OK, PortHole.....you can see I need ideas.....I've still got mine in the lower fairing pocket until I can decide where to put the danged thing. ??? :o har!  :drink: spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 10:32:57 PM »

I know, JC, that suks that you can't use the same subscription with another antenna, but like you say, that consider it the receiver and want to sell you another monthly chg. to use the gps/radio in another vehicle.  And, those antenna's aren't cheep either, are they?  :nervous: har!  Do you have any problems with reception with the antenna in your fairing?   :nixweiss: spyder

Nope and nope!  Nope, they're not cheap and nope, no problems with reception.  Jim, is the electronics wizard and he wired my bike.  I think he put the antenna right on top of the stereo head unit.  The only time I loose reception on my bike is when I get up under a heavy canopy of trees.  Mountains have never bothered me and you remember we rode ocean to ocean last year.  I had Bluesville blasting all the way.

With this Garmin w/XM, you might want to check this review that I just did......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18151.0
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:37:20 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 07:27:20 AM »

Thanks, JC.  This old dog is still trying to adapt to all these new-fangled electronics.  I'm really slow w/ this stuff, but once I make the leap, it's no turning back.  Right now, trying to figure out this MP3 deal so I can make the CD player on my SEEG useless.  ???  har!  spyder

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »

Do you still have the pics?  I have this outfit and am waiting for my techmount and cables to arrive before I install?
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »

Do you still have the pics?  I have this outfit and am waiting for my techmount and cables to arrive before I install?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18532.0

MV 2013

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »

I have this part if someone needs it.  My hockey puck would not fit on it without the fairing hitting it.  Probably not worth it as it was only a $5 part.  If someone is local, have at it.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »

I have this part if someone needs it.  My hockey puck would not fit on it without the fairing hitting it.  Probably not worth it as it was only a $5 part.  If someone is local, have at it.

Did you rotate the bracket towards the front over the GPS?

MV 2013

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »

The bracket has slots so it not only is secured by one of the screws in the fairing, but it is braced by one of the supports in the fairing.  The "puck" just sticks out too far on this pedestal.  I tried twice, cut could not get the fairing back on.  I just placed it on top of my Hawg-Wired amp.  I have not hooked up my Zumo yet to test it out, but it should be fine as its pretty accessible with only a few wires in the way.

The GXM30 receiver is significantly larger than the HD ant. that comes with the cvo's.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 11:13:04 PM »

The GXM30 receiver is significantly larger than the HD ant. that comes with the cvo's.
I'll say!  And Fugly too!  I can't wait for you to hook up the gps and let me know how it functions for you under the fairing.  The only downside if it picks up well, is you're not being able to move the XM radio function with your GPS to another vehicle.   :(  spyder

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »

I'll say!  And Fugly too!  I can't wait for you to hook up the gps and let me know how it functions for you under the fairing.  The only downside if it picks up well, is you're not being able to move the XM radio function with your GPS to another vehicle.   :(  spyder

Spy, it works just as well under the fairing as it does mounted like I have it now.
You will find with XM that the satellite coverage is NOT the same as it is with GPS, XM WILL cut in and out on open roads.

GPS uses 26 military satellites (24 operational, 2 spares) for world wide coverage, I don't know how many sats XM uses, but I would think it can't be more then 1 or 2

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »

The bracket has slots so it not only is secured by one of the screws in the fairing, but it is braced by one of the supports in the fairing.  The "puck" just sticks out too far on this pedestal.  I tried twice, cut could not get the fairing back on.  I just placed it on top of my Hawg-Wired amp. 

I can't picture what you are doing here, so I can't help. But the bracket I think you are talking about will fit on the Zumo bracket between the Zumo itself and the Zumo cradle.

That is because on the HD the radio has the XM receiver attached and uses the antenna to pick up the signal.
The Garmin GXM30 IS the XM receiver, hence the reason for the size difference. That GXM30 antenna is about 5 times larger then the XM antenna I use in the house!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:59:11 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »

I can't picture what you are doing here, so I can't help. But the bracket I think you are talking about will fit on the Zumo bracket between the Zumo itself and the Zumo cradle.

That is because on the HD the radio has the XM receiver attached and uses the antenna to pick up the signal.
The Garmin GXM30 IS the XM receiver, hence the reason for the size difference. That GXM30 antenna is about 5 times larger then the XM antenna I use in the house!
Duane, he's not speaking of the same mount for the antenna that you are.......the one he's talking about is smaller and made to mount UNDER the fairing, not on the GPS mount.  I thought you were speaking of the one we ordered and not the HD mount.  Two diff. animals.  ;) har!  spyder

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »

my antenna works great inside the fairing. i didnt use a bracket i just used a few zip ties to hold it in place

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »

Two diff. animals.  ;) har!  spyder

A'hhhhhh, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Aesthetically, the antenna mounted like mine may look worse, as the Zumo is a rather large looking unit, overall with the cradle that is.
Flexibility means mounting it outside the fairing though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:08:57 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »

A'hhhhhh, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Aesthetically, the antenna mounted like mine may look worse, as the Zumo is a rather large looking unit, overall with the cradle that is.
Flexibility means mounting it outside the fairing though.
Hey Porthole, post another pic of your's sticking up there on that pretty red bike and let me see if it looks as FUGLY as it does on my non-red bike.   :nervous:  har.  spyder

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 04:08:29 PM »

Spydy,

No need to move it to the other vehicles, as they already have a mfg. GPS in them from the factory.  One of the fringes of my occupation of choice ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 06:44:27 PM »

Spydy,

No need to move it to the other vehicles, as they already have a mfg. GPS in them from the factory.  One of the fringes of my occupation of choice ;D
Good Deal, Colbalt...........XM also?  :nixweiss: spyder

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »

Spydy,

And the other fringe is trading CVO's every 6 months?  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 07:40:09 PM »

That wouldn't be a 'fringe' to me.   Don't want to trade that often.  I love the one I'm with.  :-* har!  :drink: spyder

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 10:07:50 AM »

Hey Porthole, post another pic of your's sticking up there on that pretty red bike and let me see if it looks as FUGLY as it does on my non-red bike.   :nervous:  har.  spyder

Spy
This is geezerglides - I don't care for this at all
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11163.msg175024#msg175024

This is mine. I am not real thrilled with it, but it is the best alternative to keep the antenna flexible.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18532.0

Keep in mind though Spyder, no matter what you do it will always look better on Red

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »

My occupation of choice which supply my work vehicles, won't let us have non issued radios in the vehicles for fear we may have too much fun with our jobs  :huepfenjump3:

And they haven't yet realized how valuable a GPS in the vehicle could be.

Anyway, I move my GPS and the antenna to
my bike
my pickup (which has XM but not activated)
my little boat
my big boat
any boat I may be working on for the day
and my camper to name a few.
So although a little inconvenient it does offer a lot of flexibility with the radio

MV 2013

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »

Good Deal, Colbalt...........XM also?  :nixweiss: spyder

You bet.  XM is our only supplier of sat. radio as of the 2008 model year.  May be a moot point if the two companies every hook up.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »

Hey, hey....If you recall, I no longer own a leaker, oh, I mean a 110 engine ;D.  No patience to wait on the MoCo to fix it, so I traded her in for a plain ole 2008 non CVO, non leaking (at least not yet ;)) 96 incher!!   

Unlike our friend Hoist, I do not want to spend another $10k building it the right way, so I just let her go to a new home.  If you see me at a get together, I'll be the guy in the back trying to keep up with all you bid dog engine guys and gals,  and swerving to avoid all of the oil slicks you are laying down :D ;D 

On second thought, maybe I should go ahead of you guys :P

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »

Hey, hey....If you recall, I no longer own a leaker, oh, I mean a 110 engine ;D.  No patience to wait on the MoCo to fix it, so I traded her in for a plain ole 2008 non CVO, non leaking (at least not yet ;)) 96 incher!!   

Unlike our friend Hoist, I do not want to spend another $10k building it the right way, so I just let her go to a new home.  If you see me at a get together, I'll be the guy in the back trying to keep up with all you bid dog engine guys and gals,  and swerving to avoid all of the oil slicks you are laying down :D ;D 

On second thought, maybe I should go ahead of you guys :P

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  You could have went with an 04 or 05 SEEG as an alternative.  Probably considered that. 

Like you implied, you'll have just as much fun on the non-CVO.......just might take you a minute or two to get there.  Enjoying the ride, just the same.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 12:51:47 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  You could have went with an 04 or 05 SEEG as an alternative.  Probably considered that. 

Like you implied, you'll have just as much fun on the non-CVO.......just might take you a minute or two to get there.  Enjoying the ride, just the same.  :2vrolijk_21:

He'll be riding with me, Glenn and Boatman

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »

Well, Porthole, the 1st thing is that I can't believe that the FD would not realize how valuable a GPS could be to you all in certain situations.  2nd, you've done as good a job with that fugly XM antenna/radio with the too long cord as can be done to still keep it 'portable'.  I've racked my lil feeble brain to try to figure a better way with nothing yet.  Will keep at it and maybe will come up with a  :idea3: :idea: someday.  In the meantime, it's gonna have to reside in the lower pocket for portability or under the fairing for a cleaner look.  :-\ spyder

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »

Will keep at it and maybe will come up with a  :idea3: :idea: someday. 

And when you do I'm sure it will cost me money . bring it on I say  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »

Sorry for the delay, but it is working great.  Only problem I have is that the volume does not appear to go as loud as the CD and FM.  I have it cranked all the way in the Zumo's settings.  I'll have to post in the Zumo forum to see if they can help.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »

Duh, I need to crank the volume on the Garmin all the way up.  The volume was set at 100% but by pressing the square button on the left side, it was only at about 70%.  Cranked it up all the way and now the tunes sound great and I have all the volume I need, especially with the Hawg-Wired speakers.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »

My Garmin has one output with two different settings, line out and headphone. Do the Zumo's have that feature?

MV 2013

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 09:44:53 PM »

I got my Cyclegadgets.com XM antenna mount just in time for coming back from CHL. $14 with shipping at it's here. I have it installed under the boat mount and I think it looks pretty good. I'm still working on running the power cable so that I can utilize the built in speaker.

AJ

This is pre mounted:

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 09:47:27 PM »

On the bike w/o the GPSMAP 478 installed yet. I'm using the Techmount to attach the Garmin mount. I'll have to get a different attachment point when Chief replaces the bars with Chubby's.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

w/ the unit

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »

better shot

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 09:53:24 PM »

The only draw back is the power cord and how to route it.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 11:01:43 PM »

On the bike w/o the GPSMAP 478 installed yet. I'm using the Techmount to attach the Garmin mount. I'll have to get a different attachment point when Chief replaces the bars with Chubby's.

You already have enough parts. Did you look at my pictures?

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »

The only draw back is the power cord and how to route it.

Get another power cord and route it inside the fairing.
I hooked mine up to the extra accessory switch I bought to gill in the hole in the dash.

I have the switch feed powered all the time, "switch on" power to the Gamin, "switch off" Garmin loses power and goes into shutdown mode.

MV 2013

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »

Get another power cord and route it inside the fairing.
I hooked mine up to the extra accessory switch I bought to gill in the hole in the dash.

I have the switch feed powered all the time, "switch on" power to the Gamin, "switch off" Garmin loses power and goes into shutdown mode.

Ok great Duane, but what do you do for a speaker? Are you running it through the HK radio? If so wouldn't it (the radio) have to be on Aux to be able to hear commands? I'd like the power on constantly as well to avoid shutdown. Just thinking out loud this morning.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »

Ok great Duane, but what do you do for a speaker? Are you running it through the HK radio? If so wouldn't it (the radio) have to be on Aux to be able to hear commands? I'd like the power on constantly as well to avoid shutdown. Just thinking out loud this morning.

Will the antenny being at such an angle have an affect on the reception? I would think it needs to be flat to get good reception, especially when you're heading South and the satellite is in the southern sky.

:indian_chief:

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »

Will the antenny being at such an angle have an affect on the reception? I would think it needs to be flat to get good reception, especially when you're heading South and the satellite is in the southern sky.

I haven't tried it out yet but figured if it worked in the lower fairing it would work better there.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »

I haven't tried it out yet but figured if it worked in the lower fairing it would work better there.

I was asking because I don't know if those pucks are directional or not. Sure wish they could make them smaller and easier to conceal.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »

What do you do for a speaker?
Are you running it through the HK radio?

I use the "audio out" jack on the back of the unit - through the fairing and connected to the back of my "non HK" radio, using the "how to hook up a rear auxiliary jack etc".

Switch the radio to AUX and I have my XM.
I know that if you are using the 12volt speaker combo that the speaker is disabled if you have a plug in the audio out jack.

Route commands will go through the audio out jack, music cuts - route command given - music plays.
The audio for the voice route is way too loud and not adjustable separate from the XM output.
The Audio out jack has two setting "headphone" and “line out". With the headphone you can adjust the overall volume through the menu. The audio output is fixed with the "line out".

One thing I haven't tried yet is to see if the audio output on the "motorcycle cable" is muted when using the "line out". I will try that this weekend.
The problem with the motorcycle cable is that the audio jack is only a few inches long and right next to the power plug.
I think the motorcycle cable is nothing more then a glorified 12V cable (which does have mono audio output).
In my truck I have the GPS wired using that cable, with the audio output going to a speaker lying under my console. Works well.

The route commands I have found to be of little use on the bike. Actually, when listening to music and having the commands come blaring through is annoying. Especially when you have a lot of frequent "turns" coming up - think highways with a lot of roads converging.

I'd like the power on constantly as well to avoid shutdown.

Using the “hot” switched supply lets me keep it powered up when doing a less then 1 hour stop or shutting it down simply by flipping the switch.
Remember, we have small batteries (the bike) and if you are using the XM puck you are using 2-3 times the current. Ever feel how warm the puck gets?

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »

I think you will have a problem with the antenna mounted like that. Being in the fairing "which is clear" to the antenna is not the same as the antenna mounted sideways.

A common misconception with installing GPS antennas on boats is that they need to be mounted high like the LORAN antennas.

LORAN antennas are radio antennas, and GPS being satellites.
GPS performance can degrade if mounted too high as the vessel starts to wallow. Mount it real high and as the boat heels over the antenna starts pointing the wrong way.

Best on a boat is near the center as low as possible, with a clear view. For this reason you can, on the better units, set the lowest angle a GPS unit can "see" a satellite. We typically set ours for 10-15 degrees above the horizon.

I think with your GPS mounted the way you have it in the above pictures you are subjecting the bracket to an unnecessary amount of stress.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »

I was asking because I don't know if those pucks are directional or not. Sure wish they could make them smaller and easier to conceal.

XM only antennas are much smaller, about 1" x 1.5".

The puck style is an antenna and a receiver. Plus they are capable of receiving the XM weather satellite info, which is pretty cool.

MV 2013

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »

XM only antennas are much smaller, about 1" x 1.5".

The puck style is an antenna and a receiver. Plus they are capable of receiving the XM weather satellite info, which is pretty cool.

I understand that, but separating the antenna and the receiver would be a better solution. Mount the antenna where you need to and hide the receiver out of the way. Combining the two into one unit is not a very elegant solution.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2008, 12:40:36 PM »

I understand that, but separating the antenna and the receiver would be a better solution. Mount the antenna where you need to and hide the receiver out of the way. Combining the two into one unit is not a very elegant solution.

You have to remember though Chuck, This unit is primarily a marine unit (and aviation) designed unit, with the "over the road" being a bonus. Size probably was not a consideration. And / or it was an afterthought.

When the Garmin 276 came out I had it for about a year or so before an update turned it into a "video" bottom recorder. This used a "black box" to achieve this. That box is about 1.5 times the size of the GPS. There has to be a limit into how much stuff they can pack in the unit I guess.

I do wish though that the receiver was built into the unit. That would make for a much neater package.

I'm sure down the road that will be a new feature to get people to upgrade.

MV 2013

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »

You have to remember though Chuck, This unit is primarily a marine unit (and aviation) designed unit, with the "over the road" being a bonus. Size probably was not a consideration. And / or it was an afterthought.

When the Garmin 276 came out I had it for about a year or so before an update turned it into a "video" bottom recorder. This used a "black box" to achieve this. That box is about 1.5 times the size of the GPS. There has to be a limit into how much stuff they can pack in the unit I guess.

I do wish though that the receiver was built into the unit. That would make for a much neater package.

I'm sure down the road that will be a new feature to get people to upgrade.

Duane,,,,,,, size matters!!!!! ;) :huepfenlol2:

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »

I use the "audio out" jack on the back of the unit - through the fairing and connected to the back of my "non HK" radio, using the "how to hook up a rear auxiliary jack etc".

Switch the radio to AUX and I have my XM.
I know that if you are using the 12volt speaker combo that the speaker is disabled if you have a plug in the audio out jack.

Route commands will go through the audio out jack, music cuts - route command given - music plays.
The audio for the voice route is way too loud and not adjustable separate from the XM output.
The Audio out jack has two setting "headphone" and “line out". With the headphone you can adjust the overall volume through the menu. The audio output is fixed with the "line out".

One thing I haven't tried yet is to see if the audio output on the "motorcycle cable" is muted when using the "line out". I will try that this weekend.
The problem with the motorcycle cable is that the audio jack is only a few inches long and right next to the power plug.
I think the motorcycle cable is nothing more then a glorified 12V cable (which does have mono audio output).
In my truck I have the GPS wired using that cable, with the audio output going to a speaker lying under my console. Works well.

The route commands I have found to be of little use on the bike. Actually, when listening to music and having the commands come blaring through is annoying. Especially when you have a lot of frequent "turns" coming up - think highways with a lot of roads converging.

Using the “hot” switched supply lets me keep it powered up when doing a less then 1 hour stop or shutting it down simply by flipping the switch.
Remember, we have small batteries (the bike) and if you are using the XM puck you are using 2-3 times the current. Ever feel how warm the puck gets?

By switching to "AUX and having XM" how would you have music? Are you getting your XM through the Garmin? I only have weather through the Garmin and my XM subscription is in the HK radio. In your case, how would you listen to FM or a CD and still get directions from the AUX? Does that make sense?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »

By switching to "AUX and having XM" how would you have music?
Are you getting your XM through the Garmin?
I only have weather through the Garmin and my XM subscription is in the HK radio.
Does that make sense?

Yes it all makes sense, especially now that you mention the HK and XM.

I am getting my XM through the Garmin hockey puck, through the AUX input. I'm surprised it doesn’t show up on yours since you are getting the weather.

If you bounce the Garmin back & forth between vehicles you could add the XM music to the subscription.

In your case, how would you listen to FM or a CD and still get directions from the AUX?

I only listen to the FM locally, and not very frequent. Traveling I use the XM.

CD’s I don’t listen to anymore since I got an iPod for Christmas 2 years ago.

When I modified my radio I put two auxiliary jacks in the back. And when I have the iPod and XM on the bike both are hooked up to these inputs.

The Garmin will always play over the iPod, So when I want to listen to the Pod I have to unplug the Garmin (on the unit.

Like I said before, I don’t listen to the directions very often. I find the volume over the XM to be way too loud.

And, the volume is not speed sensitive.

I have had the bike long enough now that I am considering changing the radio to an aftermarket unit that has a dedicated iPod control and a rear auxiliary input. Preferably two, that way I could output the separate Garmin audio.

Does that make sense?

MV 2013

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »

I understand. Since I'm already paying $12.99 for the truck and $6.99 for the HK on the bike plus the $30 for the weather,  I decided not to add the XM music to the weather receiver. This way I don't have to move the antenna from bike to truck. I have two 478's (don't ask why or how, I just happened to aquire it) so it's easier to just move the antenna when I need weather in the truck or boat.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »

I did a 120 mile ride up to Summerville (Azalea Festival) today with the GPS mounted in the mew position. I like the mount much better than the slip in car mount I had been using. The unit does not vibrate as much and seems to be more stable. We were on too many tree lined roads to get a fair evaluation of the WX weather antenna mount. The XM radio only came in for about 10 miles of the whole trip.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 21 queries.