Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware  (Read 13536 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »

Do you still have the pics?  I have this outfit and am waiting for my techmount and cables to arrive before I install?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18532.0
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »

I have this part if someone needs it.  My hockey puck would not fit on it without the fairing hitting it.  Probably not worth it as it was only a $5 part.  If someone is local, have at it.

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »

I have this part if someone needs it.  My hockey puck would not fit on it without the fairing hitting it.  Probably not worth it as it was only a $5 part.  If someone is local, have at it.

Did you rotate the bracket towards the front over the GPS?

MV 2013

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »

The bracket has slots so it not only is secured by one of the screws in the fairing, but it is braced by one of the supports in the fairing.  The "puck" just sticks out too far on this pedestal.  I tried twice, cut could not get the fairing back on.  I just placed it on top of my Hawg-Wired amp.  I have not hooked up my Zumo yet to test it out, but it should be fine as its pretty accessible with only a few wires in the way.

The GXM30 receiver is significantly larger than the HD ant. that comes with the cvo's.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 11:13:04 PM »

The GXM30 receiver is significantly larger than the HD ant. that comes with the cvo's.
I'll say!  And Fugly too!  I can't wait for you to hook up the gps and let me know how it functions for you under the fairing.  The only downside if it picks up well, is you're not being able to move the XM radio function with your GPS to another vehicle.   :(  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »

I'll say!  And Fugly too!  I can't wait for you to hook up the gps and let me know how it functions for you under the fairing.  The only downside if it picks up well, is you're not being able to move the XM radio function with your GPS to another vehicle.   :(  spyder

Spy, it works just as well under the fairing as it does mounted like I have it now.
You will find with XM that the satellite coverage is NOT the same as it is with GPS, XM WILL cut in and out on open roads.

GPS uses 26 military satellites (24 operational, 2 spares) for world wide coverage, I don't know how many sats XM uses, but I would think it can't be more then 1 or 2

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »

The bracket has slots so it not only is secured by one of the screws in the fairing, but it is braced by one of the supports in the fairing.  The "puck" just sticks out too far on this pedestal.  I tried twice, cut could not get the fairing back on.  I just placed it on top of my Hawg-Wired amp. 

I can't picture what you are doing here, so I can't help. But the bracket I think you are talking about will fit on the Zumo bracket between the Zumo itself and the Zumo cradle.

That is because on the HD the radio has the XM receiver attached and uses the antenna to pick up the signal.
The Garmin GXM30 IS the XM receiver, hence the reason for the size difference. That GXM30 antenna is about 5 times larger then the XM antenna I use in the house!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:59:11 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »

I can't picture what you are doing here, so I can't help. But the bracket I think you are talking about will fit on the Zumo bracket between the Zumo itself and the Zumo cradle.

That is because on the HD the radio has the XM receiver attached and uses the antenna to pick up the signal.
The Garmin GXM30 IS the XM receiver, hence the reason for the size difference. That GXM30 antenna is about 5 times larger then the XM antenna I use in the house!
Duane, he's not speaking of the same mount for the antenna that you are.......the one he's talking about is smaller and made to mount UNDER the fairing, not on the GPS mount.  I thought you were speaking of the one we ordered and not the HD mount.  Two diff. animals.  ;) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »

my antenna works great inside the fairing. i didnt use a bracket i just used a few zip ties to hold it in place

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »

Two diff. animals.  ;) har!  spyder

A'hhhhhh, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Aesthetically, the antenna mounted like mine may look worse, as the Zumo is a rather large looking unit, overall with the cradle that is.
Flexibility means mounting it outside the fairing though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:08:57 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »

A'hhhhhh, I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Aesthetically, the antenna mounted like mine may look worse, as the Zumo is a rather large looking unit, overall with the cradle that is.
Flexibility means mounting it outside the fairing though.
Hey Porthole, post another pic of your's sticking up there on that pretty red bike and let me see if it looks as FUGLY as it does on my non-red bike.   :nervous:  har.  spyder

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 04:08:29 PM »

Spydy,

No need to move it to the other vehicles, as they already have a mfg. GPS in them from the factory.  One of the fringes of my occupation of choice ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 06:44:27 PM »

Spydy,

No need to move it to the other vehicles, as they already have a mfg. GPS in them from the factory.  One of the fringes of my occupation of choice ;D
Good Deal, Colbalt...........XM also?  :nixweiss: spyder

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »

Spydy,

And the other fringe is trading CVO's every 6 months?  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.