Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware  (Read 13540 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Garmin XM Radio Mounting Hardware
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2008, 12:40:36 PM »

I understand that, but separating the antenna and the receiver would be a better solution. Mount the antenna where you need to and hide the receiver out of the way. Combining the two into one unit is not a very elegant solution.

You have to remember though Chuck, This unit is primarily a marine unit (and aviation) designed unit, with the "over the road" being a bonus. Size probably was not a consideration. And / or it was an afterthought.

When the Garmin 276 came out I had it for about a year or so before an update turned it into a "video" bottom recorder. This used a "black box" to achieve this. That box is about 1.5 times the size of the GPS. There has to be a limit into how much stuff they can pack in the unit I guess.

I do wish though that the receiver was built into the unit. That would make for a much neater package.

I'm sure down the road that will be a new feature to get people to upgrade.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »

You have to remember though Chuck, This unit is primarily a marine unit (and aviation) designed unit, with the "over the road" being a bonus. Size probably was not a consideration. And / or it was an afterthought.

When the Garmin 276 came out I had it for about a year or so before an update turned it into a "video" bottom recorder. This used a "black box" to achieve this. That box is about 1.5 times the size of the GPS. There has to be a limit into how much stuff they can pack in the unit I guess.

I do wish though that the receiver was built into the unit. That would make for a much neater package.

I'm sure down the road that will be a new feature to get people to upgrade.

Duane,,,,,,, size matters!!!!! ;) :huepfenlol2:

:indian_chief:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »

I use the "audio out" jack on the back of the unit - through the fairing and connected to the back of my "non HK" radio, using the "how to hook up a rear auxiliary jack etc".

Switch the radio to AUX and I have my XM.
I know that if you are using the 12volt speaker combo that the speaker is disabled if you have a plug in the audio out jack.

Route commands will go through the audio out jack, music cuts - route command given - music plays.
The audio for the voice route is way too loud and not adjustable separate from the XM output.
The Audio out jack has two setting "headphone" and “line out". With the headphone you can adjust the overall volume through the menu. The audio output is fixed with the "line out".

One thing I haven't tried yet is to see if the audio output on the "motorcycle cable" is muted when using the "line out". I will try that this weekend.
The problem with the motorcycle cable is that the audio jack is only a few inches long and right next to the power plug.
I think the motorcycle cable is nothing more then a glorified 12V cable (which does have mono audio output).
In my truck I have the GPS wired using that cable, with the audio output going to a speaker lying under my console. Works well.

The route commands I have found to be of little use on the bike. Actually, when listening to music and having the commands come blaring through is annoying. Especially when you have a lot of frequent "turns" coming up - think highways with a lot of roads converging.

Using the “hot” switched supply lets me keep it powered up when doing a less then 1 hour stop or shutting it down simply by flipping the switch.
Remember, we have small batteries (the bike) and if you are using the XM puck you are using 2-3 times the current. Ever feel how warm the puck gets?

By switching to "AUX and having XM" how would you have music? Are you getting your XM through the Garmin? I only have weather through the Garmin and my XM subscription is in the HK radio. In your case, how would you listen to FM or a CD and still get directions from the AUX? Does that make sense?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »

By switching to "AUX and having XM" how would you have music?
Are you getting your XM through the Garmin?
I only have weather through the Garmin and my XM subscription is in the HK radio.
Does that make sense?

Yes it all makes sense, especially now that you mention the HK and XM.

I am getting my XM through the Garmin hockey puck, through the AUX input. I'm surprised it doesn’t show up on yours since you are getting the weather.

If you bounce the Garmin back & forth between vehicles you could add the XM music to the subscription.

In your case, how would you listen to FM or a CD and still get directions from the AUX?

I only listen to the FM locally, and not very frequent. Traveling I use the XM.

CD’s I don’t listen to anymore since I got an iPod for Christmas 2 years ago.

When I modified my radio I put two auxiliary jacks in the back. And when I have the iPod and XM on the bike both are hooked up to these inputs.

The Garmin will always play over the iPod, So when I want to listen to the Pod I have to unplug the Garmin (on the unit.

Like I said before, I don’t listen to the directions very often. I find the volume over the XM to be way too loud.

And, the volume is not speed sensitive.

I have had the bike long enough now that I am considering changing the radio to an aftermarket unit that has a dedicated iPod control and a rear auxiliary input. Preferably two, that way I could output the separate Garmin audio.

Does that make sense?

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »

I understand. Since I'm already paying $12.99 for the truck and $6.99 for the HK on the bike plus the $30 for the weather,  I decided not to add the XM music to the weather receiver. This way I don't have to move the antenna from bike to truck. I have two 478's (don't ask why or how, I just happened to aquire it) so it's easier to just move the antenna when I need weather in the truck or boat.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »

I did a 120 mile ride up to Summerville (Azalea Festival) today with the GPS mounted in the mew position. I like the mount much better than the slip in car mount I had been using. The unit does not vibrate as much and seems to be more stable. We were on too many tree lined roads to get a fair evaluation of the WX weather antenna mount. The XM radio only came in for about 10 miles of the whole trip.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.