Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Half of my High Beams has stopped illuminating - Anyone else had this issue?  (Read 1858 times)

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt

So on bright sunny days I always ride with my high beams on.   The other day another RoadGlider stopped my and said that half of my high beams weren't lit up.  Sure enough, when I first hit the switch, both of the lower portions of the lamp switch on, but within a couple of seconds the RH Lower side turns off?  My bike is a very early production 2019 CVO Road Glide.  I am assuming it has to be the headlamp itself because it is a sealed unit.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded

Same thing happened to mine. Required a new headlamp assembly to correct. The assembly’s are sealed and non repairable. And expensive, hope you are still under warranty.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole

Same thing happened to mine. Required a new headlamp assembly to correct. The assembly’s are sealed and non repairable. And expensive, hope you are still under warranty.
I should be good until September.  Bought it September of '18.

wastew

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Hello, my 2019 same color as yours has the same problem left side unit turn it on and seconds later goes out, appears to fall under a maintenance item and not covered as I had stopped by my dealer.

Looking for an alternative for it but still deciding.   Regards

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Hello, my 2019 same color as yours has the same problem left side unit turn it on and seconds later goes out, appears to fall under a maintenance item and not covered as I had stopped by my dealer.

The following is from the warranty "exclusions" section of the 2019 Road Glide Owner's Manual.  The emphases added are mine.

1.   Parts and labor for normal maintenance as recommended in the owner's manual, or the replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear including, but not limited to, the following: light bulbs, tires, lubrication, oil and filter change, fuel system cleaning, battery maintenance, engine tune-up, spark plugs, brake, clutch, chain/belt adjustment and chain replacement.

Reading that I would have a discussion with your dealer.  There is a difference between a "normal wear and tear" leading to  burned out light bulb and a failed LED module; especially when the MTBF on those modules should be many year.  Even more so when it's a multi-segment module with only one failed segment.  Make a phone call to Mother Harley itself if the dealership won't entertain the discussion.  Accepting this only because the dealer says so is letting them off way to easy.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

The following is from the warranty "exclusions" section of the 2019 Road Glide Owner's Manual.  The emphases added are mine.

1.   Parts and labor for normal maintenance as recommended in the owner's manual, or the replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear including, but not limited to, the following: light bulbs, tires, lubrication, oil and filter change, fuel system cleaning, battery maintenance, engine tune-up, spark plugs, brake, clutch, chain/belt adjustment
 and chain replacement.

Reading that I would have a discussion with your dealer.  There is a difference between a "normal wear and tear" leading to  burned out light bulb and a failed LED module; especially when the MTBF on those modules should be many year.  Even more so when it's a multi-segment module with only one failed segment.  Make a phone call to Mother Harley itself if the dealership won't entertain the discussion.  Accepting this only because the dealer says so is letting them off way to easy.
My dealer got it covered without any problems as they told me it’s a headlamp module not a bulb in the traditional sense. Saved me almost $1000

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Yeah Over 600 bucks for the Asm!   They have me scheduled for next Saturday.   You can bet if they give me any crap I will be calling HD HQ!
I already had it scheduled at one of their dealerships (This is the second CVO I have purchased there) but then they called me last week and said they are temporarily closing that location due to Coronavirus and I had to schedule at one of their other locations where I don't know anyone.
We will see how it goes.
Was trying to see if this is a common problem.  Sounds like some others have experienced it as well.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

My alternative to that would to be a different dealer. That guy is just trying to get into your wallet.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

When you are at the dealer,having your service ticket written up, be sure to call it a headlight assembly. Do not call it a bulb. Stress the LED is not working.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

My alternative to that would to be a different dealer. That guy is just trying to get into your wallet.

Exactly a lot of time it has to do more with the dealer.  Depends on how the dealer writes it up, explains it and pushes the MoCo for a solution for the customer. Really helps  him you have a very good relation with the service manager.
When you are at the dealer,having your service ticket written up, be sure to call it a headlight assembly. Do not call it a bulb. Stress the LED is not working.

True, wording is important.  Dealer help and pushing it is important.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Excellent Advice!  Thanks!

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE

If you are in warranty or ESP it's covered under LED

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

I thought that I posted the resolution to this thread but I guess I forgot!    The dealer took it all apart, diagnosed it as the headlamp assembly, called into Harley for authorization, ordered me a headlight and put it all back together.
When the new one came in they did it all again.
Everything was covered under warranty.
It is fixed and shining bright!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

I thought that I posted the resolution to this thread but I guess I forgot!    The dealer took it all apart, diagnosed it as the headlamp assembly, called into Harley for authorization, ordered me a headlight and put it all back together.
When the new one came in they did it all again.
Everything was covered under warranty.
It is fixed and shining bright!

That's good to read.  Congrats on getting the work done.  It's unfortunate the dealership had to be educated by the consumer on their manufacturer's systems but at least it all got done.  Certainly was an illuminating experience....  ;D

wastew

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Bring you all up to date I was able to get my bike in to service,  after discussing with my easy going service writer he encouraged me to drop it off and after a clear explanation of what the light does (turn on high then about 5 seconds later the element goes out)
Once that was verified and called into warranty it was fully covered. Like others say it is an headlight assembly not bulb issue, saved the price of slips ons just about.

Back to life as a happy camper.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Bring you all up to date I was able to get my bike in to service,  after discussing with my easy going service writer he encouraged me to drop it off and after a clear explanation of what the light does (turn on high then about 5 seconds later the element goes out)
Once that was verified and called into warranty it was fully covered. Like others say it is an headlight assembly not bulb issue, saved the price of slips ons just about.

Congrats on getting an otherwise expensive problem handled.   :2vrolijk_21:

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Good to hear.    At least 2 bikes with the identical problem.   Might mean a batch of bad lamps.   
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.