Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HD Connect didn't last a year  (Read 1879 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
HD Connect didn't last a year
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »

Got this e-mail today......

Dear H-D Connect Subscriber,

We are writing to inform you of changes to the
H-D™ Connect service going into effect this calendar year. Details of the service changes are outlined below.

2020 Touring, Trike, and CVO™ models

Harley-Davidson is discontinuing the H-D™ Connect Service on 2020 Touring, Trike, and CVO™ bike models, which was included with your recent purchase of your Harley-Davidson® motorcycle. H-D Connect will be deactivated for all 2020 Touring, Trike, and CVO™ bike model users on August 31, 2020.

The discontinuation of H-D Connect will have no effect on your bike’s performance and all other features on your motorcycle will continue to operate normally

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: HD Connect didn't last a year
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 08:09:58 PM »

Was the service (for lack of a better word) free for some original period of use or does Mother Harley also owe refunds to users?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:15:01 PM »

Hmmm.  Now I'm wondering.  Curious as to whether modem communications to the world was something Harley couldn't master on its own so is now choosing to bail out on or, alternatively, if the service was something subcontracted out and they can't get that to work or couldn't maintain the relationship?  :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »

Listed (now) only available for Livewire - H-D Connect Support. If it's like auto services of that nature there is a free trial period (3 - 12 months depending on level of service). If MoCo offered a free trial period than a refund wouldn't be due unless an owner was out of a trial period for a level of service and had paid to renew it.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 08:29:36 PM »

If you paid for a multi year plan then they will refund you...if you picked the first year free plan then it just dies at the end of  August. It came with my 2020 RG Limited.

First-Year Free Subscriptions

Customers who signed up for an H-D™ Connect subscription and selected only the first-year free
option will not be charged for any future years. Touring, Trike, and CVO™ customers will receive the H-D™ Connect service through August 31, 2020 at no cost. LiveWire® customers will see their service renewal date extended through 2023 (subject to H-D Connect Terms of Use). There are no additional steps required by you at this time.

Multi-Year Subscriptions

All Touring, Trike, CVO™, and LiveWire® customers that signed up for an H-D™ Connect subscription and purchased additional years up front will be issued a refund for the additional years purchased (base + tax) no later than August 31, 2020. Refunds will be issued to the credit card used to purchase the subscription years, or the default payment method on file.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »

Listed (now) only available for Livewire

Interesting that while it's mostly dead it's not completely dead (proper citation to The Princess Bride).  Such low numbers of Livewire bikes on the street one has to wonder if that's now their Beta fleet to try to get something right (that was not) before running it in the larger fleet again?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 06:48:32 AM »

Interesting that while it's mostly dead it's not completely dead (proper citation to The Princess Bride).  Such low numbers of Livewire bikes on the street one has to wonder if that's now their Beta fleet to try to get something right (that was not) before running it in the larger fleet again?

I know they had issues and have a separate support number just for Connect services. The tech was pretty much guessing when he got mine to work....not that it matters anymore.

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »

Took me about 2 hours to get the service working when I bought my new bike.  Once I got it working it only partially worked, up until last month I couldnt send a route from the app to the bike via the bluetooth which HD Connect was supposed to give.  When that part finally got working it could only handle sending 1 destination at a time.  So if you had a lunch stop and then say a brewery or winery in the same route you only would get the first destination, the other was lost.  Wasnt planning on renewing it so them getting rid of it is probably for the best because its junk.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »

My experience has been great, setup was a breeze. If the bike was at the shop for service, I knew when they moved it around. I was able to check the tire pressures without even going to the bike, so I knew whether or not I needed to add air before riding. It was also nice to see what the battery voltage was.   And, there was an option to report the bike as stolen if needed.
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Glenncarp

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »

Got this e-mail today......

Dear H-D Connect Subscriber,

We are writing to inform you of changes to the
H-D™ Connect service going into effect this calendar year. Details of the service changes are outlined below.

2020 Touring, Trike, and CVO™ models

Harley-Davidson is discontinuing the H-D™ Connect Service on 2020 Touring, Trike, and CVO™ bike models, which was included with your recent purchase of your Harley-Davidson® motorcycle. H-D Connect will be deactivated for all 2020 Touring, Trike, and CVO™ bike model users on August 31, 2020.

The discontinuation of H-D Connect will have no effect on your bike’s performance and all other features on your motorcycle will continue to operate normally

This is one of the many reasons I went with a Non-CVO bike in 2019 after spending way too much on previous 2 CVO's and not getting a return on my money or enjoyment.

HD continues to remove features (No Vents on 2020 loweers), continually fail at making their GPS better (or even fixing current and well documented CUSTOMER complaints) yet prices keep going up.

Seriously, I cannot see HD staying around much longer without a bail out.

Aside from the heritage, nostalgia and our stubborn pride, why do we continue to buy at a higher price and get lesser quality and service? They fail to add a wireless headset module to bikes with GTS system, probably cost them $50 at production, they make us take bike back kto dealer to have WHIM switch turned on when the FINALLY figure out how Apple CarPlay works. We spend crazy money on their stereo junk that still uses 2 OHM speakers and amps when rest of stereo world used 4 OHM, they charge $!50 to "Retrofit" bike with switch to open garage door, when the entire garage door opening world runs on a simple technology that a $5 switch operates. We have asked HD to "Bring BACK" the next turn showing on their GPS, something EVERY GPS has and needs, they can't get that basic "feature" figured out. I could go on for a while.

Time has come to say enough is enough and for once in my life I am going to say it: The millennials are smart to stay away from this dinosaur called HD until they get their collective heads out of their asses and realize the public is smarter than them in deciding where to spend their money.

Wonder what a much smarter man that I, Warren Buffet saw in their future, except the nostalgia we see, to lend them $300 Million last week? Wonder if the 300 Million will assist HD in getting the "next turn" on GPS to show up???????????
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:52:36 PM by Glenncarp »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »

Wonder what a much smarter man that I, Warren Buffet saw in their future, except the nostalgia we see, to lend them $300 Million last week? Wonder if the 300 Million will assist HD in getting the "next turn" on GPS to show up???????????

Buffett didn't loan HD money last week.  His loan to Mother Harley was in 2009 during that decade's financial crash.  He made (according to various reports) good money on the loan.  He was loaning at high interest rates when banks would not leaving the company not a lot of options but to take his money.  When Harley later asked to save some money and pay it off early he told the MoCo no, that he was fine with the originally agreed terms.  Most reports suggest Buffett ended up making close to $150m on that $300m loan.

Glenncarp

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »

Buffett didn't loan HD money last week.  His loan to Mother Harley was in 2009 during that decade's financial crash.  He made (according to various reports) good money on the loan.  He was loaning at high interest rates when banks would not leaving the company not a lot of options but to take his money.  When Harley later asked to save some money and pay it off early he told the MoCo no, that he was fine with the originally agreed terms.  Most reports suggest Buffett ended up making close to $150m on that $300m loan.

Thanks for clarification!

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »

[quote author=Glenncarp link=topic=121280.msg1513801#msg1513801 date=159258902

"Aside from the heritage, nostalgia and our stubborn pride, why do we continue to buy at a higher price and get lesser quality and service?"

That sentence says a lot, although I think we could edit the last part of that sentence to read....most people IMO are not-continuing to buy because of Price, Features-(vanishing), Quality-(lack) and warranty/service issues.  Will HD survive?  Will they build the bikes we know they can build to bring the customers back?  I wish them no ill will, overall I like my 17' even with its issues but it's those issues that would have to be addressed plus some for me to purchase a new model. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:08:11 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.