Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Zumo 550 vs 450  (Read 3627 times)

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
Zumo 550 vs 450
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »

I'm looking at jumping on the GPS bandwagon and have been looking at both models. I can't find much here on the 450. Is anyone using that model. From my understanding they're basically the same with the 450 missing Blue Tooth and xm radio and the xm traffic being an add on. There's a significant cost difference, and with xm on the bike and not wanting my cell phone ringing while trying to escape the real world is the 550 worth the extra bucks. You can put all I know about these electronic gadgets in a thimble and still have room for an elephant, so any help would be appreciated.

Muley

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
Re: Zumo 550 vs 450
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »

I bought the 450 because I didn't need XM or Bluetooth -- however the 550 also includes the car mount system.   You can purchase that kit later but it works out that the price is the same - so go ahead and get the 550 - I wish I would have.

Mark

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 09:52:26 AM »

I was thinking as Mark mentioned above there was a (car) mount missing. When I was investigating my purchase I knew I wasn't going to use some of the features (Bluetooth/XM) right off the bat, but thought it would be better to have them and not use them then want them later and have to buy another/new Zumo. To me it wasn't worth the savings not to get the 550.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »

Mark is right - the car mount adds the price back if you figure the $ dif between the 2 units.

I have used the 550 Bluetooth in the car & it works ok.

Too bad the Zumo comes with such a lousy handlebar mount.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »

Is there a better mount to use with the ZUMO than the one that comes with it? You guys now have me leaning toward the 550, see now how the site helps keep your wallet thin.

Muley

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »

Is there a better mount to use with the ZUMO than the one that comes with it? You guys now have me leaning toward the 550, see now how the site helps keep your wallet thin.

Muley

Here's a link to the best I have seen on a handlebar mount.  http://www.techmounts.com/

They go to rallys - will be in Daytona.  Give them a call or email & they will figure out what is best for your bike, then you can decide.  Way better than the stock Zumo stuff. (& it's chrome)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »

Another vote here for Techmount. :2vrolijk_21:

Below is a cheat sheet I share w/all that are interested in getting a Zumo...

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield. Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

MapSource software version 6.13.6 as of December 4, 2007

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.4.2 as of August 6, 2007.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »

BTW - Muley.  d00d knows more about Zumo than the folks at Zumo know, more than likely.  Excellent info source & I owe him big time for all the help he gave me on this.   :2vrolijk_21:

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »

Okay you guys got me sold on this thing. Where's the best place to purchase? My wife does most of her camera stuff at newegg.com, their price on ZUMO 550 $714.99. Usually good prices on electronics.

Next question, can any idiot install this stuff or do I need to load my saddlebags and tour pack with  :drink: and head up to d00d's and beg for a tech assist.

Muley

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 12:31:06 PM »

Okay you guys got me sold on this thing. Where's the best place to purchase? My wife does most of her camera stuff at newegg.com, their price on ZUMO 550 $714.99. Usually good prices on electronics.

Next question, can any idiot install this stuff or do I need to load my saddlebags and tour pack with  :drink: and head up to d00d's and beg for a tech assist.

Muley

Do some searches for Zumo 550's - not sure where the best deal on these now.  I got mine from Buydig.com.  Amazon sells them - so do lots of other sites.  Make sure it is "new in box" & not refurbished, if you are paying a new price for one.

Figure if you go to d00d's you could drink HIS beer while he installed it - he is a real nice guy from what I hear.   :)

I'm an idiot & had no trouble installing my Zumo, if that is any help.   ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »

Muley
I purchased mine from PCNation.com (currently $647.15 w/free 3 day FedEx shipping) at the time they had the best price.

It's simple to install. I'm all thumbs when it comes to being a mechanic and I didn't have any problems. If you need any assistance we'll be here for you. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »

Initially........the ONLY reason I bought the 550 vice the 450 was the car mount.  REALLY like that feature, which has come in quite handy lately.  The longer I owned the 550, the cooler the bluetooth became.  I can see who is calling.  If it's Renea or Stef, then a pullover is warranted.  If it's work, then a middle finger is warranted..........as well as a downshift into rapid acceleration.   :cucumber:

Get the 550.  You'll LOVE it.   :2vrolijk_21:

pcr02hd

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »

Be very carefull of scams on ebay there is some involving the Garmin Zumos.
Here is a link to a business in NY that came from everyprice.com

http://www.cameraaddict.com/viewproduct.aspx?ID=3613090&l=Everyprice

Been considering placing an order with them.
They just lowered the price from $585 to $555.

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »

Placed my order for the Zumo 550 today. Prepare for multiple questions up on its arrival later this week. Thanks for all the input.

Muley

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »

Congrats you'll enjoy it. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 11:52:10 PM »

I got the Zumo 550 a couple weeks ago and finally got all the misc. hardware and mounted it on the bike Friday evening. I've been playing with it in the truck and here at the house. I did cheat a bit on the installation, I had to take the bike in today to swap some sheet metal because of bad paint and had the shop run the audio cable while they had the fairing off. Works like a champ.

Thanks again for all the input. I sure I only know about a 1/4 of what this thing can do so look for more question soon.

Muley

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 07:16:42 AM »

Congrats. Now the fun begins. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

vagabond6542

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »

Read your info d00d, good info. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Just finished two techmounts and one to go. Your info in your cheatsheet helped alot. :huepfenjump3:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:32:02 PM by vagabond6542 »

mtluvtap

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
Zumo 550 Installed !
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »

Thanks to everyone in these Zumo threads, but especially to FiredOOd's full cheatsheet above on this thread.
I did everything exactly per his cheat sheet and here are the results.
I think the Zumo 550 is my favorite toy of all time next to my Harley.
I'm building very detailed 4000 mile maps on the the HD site road builder and downloading directly into my Zumo through the
USB cable. I've downloaded POI's for all the HD dealers, National Parks, and Starbucks in the USA thanks to some great GPS forum sites.
Start with those sites  recommended in varous threads on CVOHarley and go from there.

I got my Zumo from PC Nation- best price, 100% included parts still boxed, very fast delivery. AAAA****

Other ZUMO things I decided to do or am working on or would change:
1. The Radio Shack cigar lighter has no tighten-down screws and it took me a couple tries to get the wires to not pull out.
It's also longer than I would like, but I didn't need to go shopping, so I'll live with it.
2. I like the audio cord thru the handlebar holes to the AUX hole- 1 Meter would have been plenty for me-
but you will only hear Zumo if you toggle your setting to VOX. That's okay, because I will only LISTEN to Zumo
in traffic congestion/ unfamiliar routes and I usually mute my tunes then anyway when I'm trying to concentrate.
3. Zumo bluetoothed to my Blackberry 8330 just fine, and I can see the caller ID's but haven't yet found anyone who has figured out how to
answer (voice) the call-although there have been tries with various microphones plugged into the Zumo mic hole, and some success with some
Bluetooth earpieces BLUETOOTHED TO THE ZUMO-NOT THE CELLPHONE. Mostly only adequate at fairly low noise/speeds. I've even seen some pictures and diagrams of hard wiring into the radio receiver, etc. but I'm not going there. Mostly just waitiing for a very small very good noise-cancelling earpiece with a boom like maybe http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etyblu.aspx which I'm on the waiting list for.
If anyone has solved that issue please let me know.

CVOHarley members have saved me so much time and trial/error frustration, and again thank-you all !

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:24:28 PM by mtluvtap »

2008 FLHTCUSE3
SCREAMIN' EAGLE ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE
Canyon Copper and Stardust Silver

"No Packed Snow....Mount Up and Go"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »

Job well done it looks great. :2vrolijk_21: Enjoy.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 07:33:27 PM »

Hey MT, good write up on the zumo.  That D00d is the ticket when those of us that are computer challenged need to
'interface' with something like the zumo.  I, too, have fallen for my zumo and only regret all those years I didn't have one.  Keep us up to date on your progress with the phone/spkr. hookup.   :) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.