Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rude awakening...........  (Read 2006 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Rude awakening...........
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:45:26 AM »

My Garmin 2730 StreetPilot is now just a little over a year old.  About six months ago I bought Terrie a 2720 StreetPilot for her car.  On mine, from time to time when I turn it on a window pops up telling me that I'm using an out dated map and that I can log onto Garmin and download a new map.  By the way, I also just ordered a Garmin 60 Csx handheld (to use when we're on vacation and rent a motorcycle)

While at Frys Electronics the other day, I saw cd for US maps 2008 series and I bought it.......thinkin I could update both Garmin StreetPilots.  Got it home and updated my 2730 just fine but couldn't get it to download to the 2720.  Said it was already assigned to another unit.  After contacting Garmin, I learned that a map update is only good for one GPS and that you have to get a new update (if you want them current) for each, seperately.

I replied to them, suggesting that they make the unlock codes for up to three Garmin GPS units (much like the Norton Internet Security) and then the consumer would have more incentative to buy more than one GPS......maybe even one for each vehicle.  The response that I got was that they'd not thought of that and will look into it.   Of course, that will take some negotiation with the mapping company so it's not like it would happen tomorrow......but a good possability for down the road.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Rude awakening...........
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:56:01 AM »

JC,
Maybe you should contact the MoCo and see if you can get them to do the same thing for the SERT. ;) :D Honestly not really surprised that Garmin has it set up like this due to pirating software. My guess if they would allow the software to be loaded on more then one unit then the unit prices would go up. I doubt that any company in this day and time would be willing to give up a revenue source. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:08:05 AM »

Garmin used to allow you to load maps on two regestred devices. At least i was able too when i purchased one of their hand held two years ago. I  checked my account log on Garmin and discovered the two devices i had regestred do not show up now.  Em, wonder why. I wrote Garmin an email asking why. They say my info must of been lost when they did a server upgrade last year.. YEAH RIGHT!!!!! Dam i hate when a manufacture lies to you!!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »

the Garmin website still shows both my 2610 and Road Tech Quest, both have an unlocked version of the same software disk of  v.8.   I've never bought two copies of the same software for my GPSs.  They must have just recently changed that, because you were able to unlock up to two of your own GPS units with one version of the software.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »

I suggest calling back again. I too recall the ability to unlock 2 units. You might want to specifically ask when that change was made.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:01:20 PM »

More communication from Garmin today. 

Up till 2008 map update you were able to download the software to two units. The map maker limited it to one unit with the most recent version.  Garmin doesn't know why (I'm sure it's about money for the map maker) but they're going to try to negotiate it back to the way it was.  Looks like they have their work cut out for them.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »

Sounds like NavTeq is getting a little too big for their britches.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »

Sounds like NavTeq is getting a little too big for their britches.

Not getting to Big IMO, ALREADY too big for me.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »

Not getting to Big IMO, ALREADY too big for me.

You're right Rog.  Unfortunately, NAVTEQ is the big dog in the navigation software business.  If you look at most GPS units, both portable and installed, they primarily all say "NAVTEQ Onboard".   :-X

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Air1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE/662
    • CVO2: 06 FLHRSI
    • CVO3: 05 VRSCSE
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »

Also NAVTEQ was purchased by Nokia, so Garmin was going to buy the mapping company for TomTom TelAtlas.
It was going to be big nut for Garmin to sallow and they were in a bidding war with TomTom.
In the end Garmin back out of the bidding and made a new deal with Navteq for 10 years, maybe in the new sourcing contract one update to two units went out.

by the way, as of today Amazon had the 2008 update for $49.   
07 & 08 Rolling Thunder
07 HD Posse Ride Great American

Page created in 0.816 seconds with 22 queries.