Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which GPS - ZUMO or TOM TOM RIDER  (Read 3585 times)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Which GPS - ZUMO or TOM TOM RIDER
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »

Over in the UK it appears that the Zumo 550 or the Tom Tom Rider are the GPS systems of preference - would anyone like to recommend which to spend my hard earned on please :-\

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Which GPS - ZUMO or TOM TOM RIDER
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:47:41 AM »

Over in the UK it appears that the Zumo 550 or the Tom Tom Rider are the GPS systems of preference - would anyone like to recommend which to spend my hard earned on please :-\

I have no experience with the Tom Tom Rider - but I am very pleased with my Zumo 550...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »

The knowledge/experience base here would be more of the Zumo then Tom Tom. Not to say Tom Tom's are inferior but it appears more here are choosing Zumo's over them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Classic45

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »

Hi Smiler

I have no experience with Tom Tom Rider, but I am very pleased with Garmin Zumo 550. I have a unit  bought in Norway and made for the European market, this unit is also working perfectly in the USA with MAP Source loaded on a SD card.

Best regards
Terje
2000 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic
2005 FLHRC Road King Classic
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2010 FLHXE
2013 FLTRXSE2

Iron Butt Association Membership Number: 38579

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:48:38 AM »

Hi Smiler

I have no experience with Tom Tom Rider, but I am very pleased with Garmin Zumo 550. I have a unit  bought in Norway and made for the European market, this unit is also working perfectly in the USA with MAP Source loaded on a SD card.

Best regards
Terje
Hi Terje

How did you get your US map?

Classic45

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:09:15 AM »

Hi Terje

How did you get your US map?

Hi Smiler

I bought it from my regular Garmin dealer. You can also buy a download from: www.garmin.com.
When you load the map, remember to load it on the SD card, and not directly into the ZUMO.
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2010 FLHXE
2013 FLTRXSE2

White Lightning

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FXDSE2
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »

Smiler,

I have no Tom Tom experience, but I can tell you all about Garmin products.  Back in Oct 2004, I bought my first E-Glide and I was looking at various GPS solutions.  At the time, Tom Tom Rider (as it was known for motorcycles) had a scheduled new product release just in time for the Holidays of 04.  So I waited...Then the Tom Tom Rider was delayed till Spring of 05, So I waited...Then the Tom Tom Rider was delayed until summer of 05, and delayed again until late in the fall, thus I quit waiting and bought the Garmin 2650 Street Pilot.  All of my friends ride UCEGs, and through our email discussions and LOTS of research, I think I more or less persuaded them to buy the Garmin product because of the IP65 weather proofing and the MAP Source computer software which came with the device.  Years later, the Tom Tom matured, and I have recently talked to some owners of the Tom Tom and they are pleased with their product.  HOWEVER, when I ask them if they can create custom routes on their computer and upload the routes to their GPS, I get the deer in the headlights stare.  OF ALL THE FEATURES YOU CAN GET IN A GPS, THE ABILITY TO CREATE A CUSTOM, DETAILED, THOUROUGHLY THOUGHT OUT ROUTE, ON YOUR PC AND UPLOAD IT TO YOUR GPS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.  With the Garmin Map Source, you can share your PC generated route with your friends who also have Garmin GPSs.  Ideally, you want your friends to also have the same map revisions.  This single benefit can not be understated!  We like to ride in fairly big groups, plan chapter ride outs, etc.  When we have numerous people in the group with GPSs that all have the identical routes, it makes keeping the group on track much easier when it gets broken up by traffic lights.  Plus, you can go on a ride, find a super cool road, hit a button to mark the beginning of the road, and again when you are finished.  If you have tracking turned on, you can take that recorded track and upload it to the Map Source software and save that stretch of road as a custom route.  I live in Germany and I have been all over Europe with my riding buddies.  We have planned entire 3 week vacations, down to the gas station stops, restaurants, hotels, and attractions; saved them as a route and emailed them to each other.  Also, a friend of mine was ran down by a semi truck, he survived but the Garmin 2800 series GPS on his handlebars didn't.  As your maps are tied to your device, to prevent pirating  :P, he was concerned about somehow getting his maps transfered to a new device.  He called Garmin and explained he was in a motorcycle accident, they were very friendly and helpful, they told him to send in the broken device and for $200 bucks they sent him a newer model with the maps loaded.  The insurance company from the truck driver paid the full replacement cost of his device, $800+, anyway.  From all of the GPS companies, Garmin has been around probably the longest.  Ask any boat person, ask any private pilot, and they will swear by Garmin.  If I were to take bets, I would bet that the NEXTversion of the Zumo will have better Bluetooth capability to allow two devices, headset and phone, to be connected to it simultaneously.  With a bluetooth motorcycle helmet, I bet they will add voice control functionality to the next Zumo model.  They already have voice command control to some newer car based GPSs from Garmin, so it is only logical to add that to the Bike based models.  In fact, I think it would be less dangerous, and more beneficial to bikers.  Just think if you said, "Zumo, Find Gas Station within 10 miles, on current route."  or "Zumo, find hotels within 10 miles, on current route."  Device replies, "Hotel found, Stardust Inn, Shall I place call?"  Then the device could be used to control your bluetooth phone and call the hotel.  You would then be speaking on your phone through your blue tooth motorcycle helmet headset to make reservations, or inform them you will be late, or whatever.  I can hardly wait to get my next model!!  8)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »

My thanks to everyone.  Zumo it is. 

Classic45

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »

My thanks to everyone.  Zumo it is. 

Hi Smiler

Did you receive my message about recommended seize of SD card?

Terje
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2010 FLHXE
2013 FLTRXSE2

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »

Good choice on the Zumo 550 - I've had one for 9 months now (following a Garmin 2610) great piece of kit and all the better for being able to pre-programme on your home PC.

If you're getting the N America maps make sure you get the DVD version (NT) then you can download all your pre-planned routes from your PC. You need a 2gig SD card to load the maps onto.

Garmin - the best by far.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 03:45:03 AM »

Hi Smiler

Did you receive my message about recommended seize of SD card?

Terje
Hi Terje
Yes thanks and much appreciated.
Smiler

BOUBOU

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 05:31:15 AM »

I have the road quest from HD and the zumo 550 .By far the zumo is the best
Boubou

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »

Been doing tons of research on them myself and all point to Zumo.  I have a Nuvi 670 and 760.  Was doing a bit of research on a bike GPS and HANDS DOWN no comp  Garmin leads the pack.

What are guys using for bluetooth headsets?  I have tried to do some research but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there.  I would like to have phone and GPS capability...any info is appreciated.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Classic45

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »

Been doing tons of research on them myself and all point to Zumo.  I have a Nuvi 670 and 760.  Was doing a bit of research on a bike GPS and HANDS DOWN no comp  Garmin leads the pack.

What are guys using for bluetooth headsets?  I have tried to do some research but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there.  I would like to have phone and GPS capability...any info is appreciated.

Seegarz
[/quote

I am using a Bluetooth set called Interphone. It is Italian, made by company: Cellular Italia S.P.A.

www.interphone.cellularline.com

Works OK with ZUMO, Nokia N95 and as a Bike to Bike communication device with range up to 500m.

Classic45
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2010 FLHXE
2013 FLTRXSE2

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »

Again Thanx C-45...glad that we have more than Eagles in common...I also have the N-95 and am planning on getting the Zumo...one of the places that I was looking at getting it here says that they are waiting til May for the new software upgrade...not sure how true it is but if I have to wait...

Any place cheaper than the next for picking one up (Zumo 550) that is.

Thanx :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.