Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XM  (Read 1221 times)

diggitydogg

XM
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:26:47 AM »

I'm running in-dash Harmon Kardon XM through a Hawg-Wired Direct Connect System on my NON-CVO Street Glide. Just wanted to find out if others have a similar situation: The XM seems less robust, in terms of volume and clarity, than a CD or even FM radio. The antenna is mounted inside the fairing, standard place. It just seems like XM has less fidelity than the other radio modes. Can anyone confirm that they have a similar issue, or no issue at all? Thanks.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: XM
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »

I'm running in-dash Harmon Kardon XM through a Hawg-Wired Direct Connect System on my NON-CVO Street Glide. Just wanted to find out if others have a similar situation: The XM seems less robust, in terms of volume and clarity, than a CD or even FM radio. The antenna is mounted inside the fairing, standard place. It just seems like XM has less fidelity than the other radio modes. Can anyone confirm that they have a similar issue, or no issue at all? Thanks.
No issues at all.
   :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »

The quality of the XM audio signal depends a lot on what you are listening to. For example, a lot of the news stations sound like garbage. We usually listen to 46 or 49 and the fidelity is fine, but I'm not pumping it through the HW amp, just the HogTunes speakers or the J&M headset.

Things may improve, reception wise, if you can move your antenna outside of the fairing.

:indian_chief:

diggitydogg

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »

I'm definitely having a problem — which is hard to diagnose since it's a plug-and-play setup. The XM is flat compared to AM, FM, CD and AUX. Everything else is robust as can be. Hmmm... Getting a strong signal, I don't think it's an antenna issue.

diggitydogg

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »

Well, I have some results. I spoke with the good folks at Hawg-Wired and they weren't surprised that the XM was lower volume and lower quality than the other inputs. They said that the XM signal is just too compressed to deliver CD-quality sound. I also tried a friend's external XM receiver plugged into the Harley front AUX port (sounded pretty much the same as the factory internal unit when I toggled between XM and AUX) and an external Sirius unit through the AUX (sounded a little better than the factory XM, I must say).

I will say that the Zumo audio (not XM, but the factory-installed MP3s) sounded incredible. Anyone with XM through the Zumo who can comment on the sound quality of the XM through it?

Meanwhile, I think I'll just keep my Nano in my jacket pocket and run a retractable cord to the AUX...

Thanks

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.