Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '05 Quest gps  (Read 1496 times)

dewsjw

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
'05 Quest gps
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »

I just got a 2005 SEEG, the gps appeared to be working when I bought the bike but on the ride home it would not stay powered on.  I checked all the fuses, kept my accessory button on and it still would not stay on.  Shouldn't the unit stay on when in the cradle? Could a bad battery make the unit shut off?  I don't have any manuals... Thanks for any help/suggestions.
The United States Constitution (c) 1787. All Rights reserved.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: '05 Quest gps
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:22:32 PM »

I just got a 2005 SEEG, the gps appeared to be working when I bought the bike but on the ride home it would not stay powered on.  I checked all the fuses, kept my accessory button on and it still would not stay on.  Shouldn't the unit stay on when in the cradle? Could a bad battery make the unit shut off?  I don't have any manuals... Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I had the same problem with my Quest on my 02 Ultra.  Turns out it was the part that slides into the fairing mount that was bad and the GPS would not stay seated and keep contact.  Garmin was offering a free replacement for the part of the cradle that attaches to the Quest.  Give their customer service a call and explain the problem, they might hook you up with a new adapter.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

dewsjw

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »

Thanks, I'll give them a call.  It does seem to hook up okay but anything is worth a try. 

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »

I had the same problem and it was the cradle that slides into the faring bracket, the small "tab" broke and it lost contact with those gold power points.  I wound up having to buy a new cradle (thanks HD).  When I bought the new one it was a part "A", meaning they must have revised it some how.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »

I had a similar problem and it ended up just taking a pencil eraser to the gold contacts. they must of had some corosion or something but anyway it works fine now.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »

I had the same problem and it was the cradle that slides into the faring bracket, the small "tab" broke and it lost contact with those gold power points.  I wound up having to buy a new cradle (thanks HD).  When I bought the new one it was a part "A", meaning they must have revised it some how.

That's the part I got free by calling Garmin.  They knew there was a problem with it and redesigned it.  It wouldn't always keep contact and the unit would power down.

2012 FLHXSE3

dewsjw

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »

Oilcan,
 Tried cleaning the contact with an eraser, no luck.  Guess it is a call to Garmin. Thanks for everyones help!   

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »

Cleaning the contacts is only a temp fix. I finally bought the Zumo 550 and threw that Quest POS in the garbage. If I could only come up with something to cover the hole in the inner fairing, I send the mount to accompany the unit at the city dump.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:46 PM »

Cleaning the contacts is only a temp fix. I finally bought the Zumo 550 and threw that Quest POS in the garbage. If I could only come up with something to cover the hole in the inner fairing, I send the mount to accompany the unit at the city dump.

Wow, sorry to hear about your Quest Mark.  I've had mine for going on 4 years now and it still works great.  Once I got the new cradle from Garmin, I haven't had a problem with it since.

2012 FLHXSE3

dewsjw

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »

Well I finally had the fairing front off this evening, here there was an 'inline' fuse missing !!!  What a PITA.  It works now, thanks to all that replied.
  :drink:  Time for a reward.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »

I think i have an unused Quest mount laying around... I'll charge ya the UPS bill if interested. It's going to be up in the attic with tons of other junk so wont get a chance to search for it until this weekend. Ping me off line if your interested,, :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.