Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: led headlights  (Read 8914 times)

h82lose

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
led headlights
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:37:38 PM »

H :drink: :drink: :jalapeno: :drink: :drink:as anyone compared the HD version to the Kuryakyn version? I know HD's is more expensive but what about performance,installation and maybe most important LOOKS? This is going on my 05 SEEG.
'08 orange springer, '05 teal seeg-10/23/04,  '79 flh classic,  '05 jag S type R- british racing GREEN

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: led headlights
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »

H :drink: :drink: :jalapeno: :drink: :drink:as anyone compared the HD version to the Kuryakyn version? I know HD's is more expensive but what about performance,installation and maybe most important LOOKS? This is going on my 05 SEEG.
Just tagging along, I am interested in the LED headlight as well
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »

Just tagging along, I am interested in the LED headlight as well
I just installed the Kuryakyn LED headlamp and spots repalcing the HD HID and they are much better.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

tall drink of water

• Ride Like the Wind

• CVO1: 2011 cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »

Has anyone found an LED headlight for 2011 Road glide?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »

Nope.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »

I've been asking and looking for LED head lights for the Rod Glide for a while now. It doesn't look like they exist. Good luck though, keep us posted if you find anything.

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:02:38 PM »

that harley l.e.d. is one ugly headlight as well as the l.e.d. passing lights  looks like some bugeyed alien   and yes harley h.i.d. are way over priced many better much cheaper (price) and better out there

SirNyt

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:17:04 AM »

I too am still trying to locate an LED for an '11 SERGU, but so far without success.
As far as the LED for the ElectraGlides, they may be a bit ugly, but man do they illuminate. Excellent!!

tall drink of water

• Ride Like the Wind

• CVO1: 2011 cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »

Yes, you are correct. I bought 1 from Napa for $300 last winter for my 2007 Ultra Classic. It worked GREAT but just didn't seem to be far enough down the road. Now i ride  a FLTRUSE.

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »

I purchased the Harley unit an love it.  Link below is a very interesting comparison.

http://www.lrsanitary.com/0/LEDs.pdf

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »

that harley l.e.d. is one ugly headlight as well as the l.e.d. passing lights  looks like some bugeyed alien   and yes harley h.i.d. are way over priced many better much cheaper (price) and better out there

Respectfully disagree with the ugly statement.   I think it was just what my FLHTCUSE needed looks wise.  I thought it looked ugly aswell, before i installed them.  But,  now i really like the look and the functionality even more.  My night vision seems to be right back where it was 20 years ago now.   :2vrolijk_21:
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »

I purchased the Harley unit an love it.  Link below is a very interesting comparison.

That was very informative comparison :2vrolijk_21:

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »

Great information there. Glad to see a comparison on the different choices.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »

We still haven't seen a comparison with an HID setup. I don't think the LED's have come up to that level yet. I would love to see a side by side.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 08:33:06 AM »

We still haven't seen a comparison with an HID setup. I don't think the LED's have come up to that level yet. I would love to see a side by side.

I've ran the stock halogen, the Harley HID, the Kuryakyn Xe5R HID, and now the Kuryakyn LED, and I'll offer this. The Harley HID, which was low beam only, was a total waste of money. That system sucked, period. Now, I just upgraded to the Kuryakyn LED Headlamp and Passing Lamps on my SEUC, and it's alot better, especially on LB. The passing lamps are fanatastic as well.

That said, for the ultimate, I have to say that the Kuryakyn Xe5R HID is the best light money can buy, period. Light years better than retrofitting the stock reflector with aftermarket kits, as the Xe reflector did a great job with the focus, and damn it was bright. Nobody in my group would ride in front of me at night.

That was a 5" that only fit the softails, but the entire line was discontinued. The Xe7R is the version for the Touring bikes and you can still find a few out there for around $400, which is a steal. If you want the ultimate, get one of these before they are all gone. In the interim, the new Kuryakyn LED's aren't too far behind, and I have to say that my beam pattern is much better than what is depicted on that review those guys did in the camparion vs the HD LED's. I think it's pretty darned good - Not quite as brite as the Xe HIDs, but close, much better than Halogens, and a great value for the money vs the HD option.

BTW - I've attached a doc that shows side be side pics of the before and after when I went from the Stock Halogens to the Xe5R HID on my SED. I'll post from pics of the before and after on the HD HID to the LED's soon.

My .02 fwiw.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

lv2ride56

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »

Here is a link to a very good comparison

www.lrsanitary.com/0/leds_update.pdf

Because of the daylight visibilty I went with the Trucklite sold by Kuryakyn. Just make sure you get the Phase 6. Light at night is best I've ever had. Got the passing lamps also.
Patriot Guard Rider

ob1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTCUSE 2
    • CVO2: FLSTSE 1
    • CVO3: 2013 Custom FLHX
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »

I went with the Hemrick Performance H.I.D. lighting on my 07SEUC and love them. The shop compared them to the Harley l.e.d.and the Hemrick were much brighter for half the price.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »

Because of the daylight visibilty I went with the Trucklite sold by Kuryakyn. Just make sure you get the Phase 6. Light at night is best I've ever had. Got the passing lamps also.
What do the passing lamps look like in the 'off' position?  Do you have any pics?  thanks.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

nbomar

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »

I bought some Jeep LED headlights from 4 Wheel Parts. It's a 7" light so it fits all the touring models. Paid $200 for it and it has high and low. The distance it lights up isn't that much great but the intensity of what is lit up is much better. I'm happy with mine.

lv2ride56

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »

What do the passing lamps look like in the 'off' position?  Do you have any pics?  thanks.  spyder

Don't know how well this will show up but will try.
Patriot Guard Rider

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »

Interesting.  Almost looks in that pic like bubblewrap encased inside the light.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

lv2ride56

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »

Interesting.  Almost looks in that pic like bubblewrap encased inside the light.  spyder

You might not like the look but when you turn them on, night or day, they make a huge diference. Tests show they show up way better than the HD version or any other version of lighting. I personally like that.
If looks is all you care about you probably won't like them. Me, I like being seen.
Patriot Guard Rider

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 11:26:45 PM »

You might not like the look but when you turn them on, night or day, they make a huge diference. Tests show they show up way better than the HD version or any other version of lighting. I personally like that.
If looks is all you care about you probably won't like them. Me, I like being seen.
Well, I'm definitely considering them (since that guy in the cage pulled right out into me and I was running those amber lights in mine...you'd think he could see those along with the headlight & signal lights)  Have you had any trouble with people at night blinking for you to dim since they're maybe blinded by too bright lights?  spyder

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 05:46:42 AM »

After reading some of Cowboy2's post I started searching out the LED options. Your latest post and expanded review of the lights has pretty much sealed what I'm going to purchase. Thanks for sending it our way!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :dankk2:

Correction: Guess I should have read the entire file first before commenting. I see positives to both systems but daytime running brightness from the TL is a big difference. But then the JW/HD light is focused pretty well for night time riding. I really don't see where chroming the inner part of the housing for the HD light would provide additional daytime visibility as the elements are focus ahead but since that lightbulb was not included in their test...I have to wonder. Hmmm I might be in error now that I found this thread.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61631.0

End result is they are both much better than halogens.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:18:11 AM by Veego »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

+1. I just installed the Kury LED (Phase6) together with the Kury passing lamps. Great fit and easy install with my HD Visor trim rings. I definitely preferred the far superior daytime visibility of the Kury over the HD LED, even thought the HD has slightly better nighttime lighting. The Kury is far better than the stock bulb in both day and night so it was easy for me to choose the Kury over the 2x Priced HD that is hardly visibily during the daytime due to the focused beam effect.

I do have one question. When I installed the Kury headlight, you have to bypass the the split harness used with the stock bulb for lo/hi beam. Now I have no garage door opener which operates off the split harness. Anyone figure out a solution to get the garage door opener to function with the LED headlight?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »

::)
There is a "splitter" wiring deal that is available to handle the new lite and maintain the (garage door opener) function.   I heard it was pricey at around 30-40 bucks,  but it's a plug and play deal instead of splicing wires.

Let me know and I'll try and retrieve the part # info.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:18 PM »

Heatwave, you can get a splitter harness.  I used it when I installed my LED headlight.  Part number 70423-98.  No cutting or splicing necessary.  Plug and play.  Posted pictures of splitter in this thread  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53078.0;all
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:15:29 PM by CVORick »
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.