Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '09 SERG, HOW DO I FLASH THE RADIO TO GET THE REAR FADER FOR LOWER SPEAKERS?  (Read 2287 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

I'm thinking of adding lowers and then doing the speaker pods on my '09 SERG.

I understand that the HK head unit has rear outputs and a front/rear fader, but they are "turned off" in the programming.

How do I do the flashing?  Can I use a disc to reprogram the HK head unit or does the dealer have to do this?

If the dealer does this, can any dealer do this?  Do they have to remove the fairing to get access to the back of the HK head unit?

I know everyone will suggest an amp for this, but I'm hoping high quality speakers in the pods will do what I want without the added expense of an amp.

Thanks in advance for the information.

I've already done the iPod Interface Module without any issues, other than I did have the June instructions that were wrong and had to get the September instructions with the correct pin out locations.  I love the sound of my J&M 7.25" 3-way front speakers without an added amp.  I'm sure better louder quality sound would be available, but I'm not trying to duplicate my listening room in my house.  I've heard a few of the SESG's with the lower pods and like the added volume from down below.

Sorry for rambling...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG

Hi Dan - I had to take it to the dealer to be flashed.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

The flash is done by the dealer via the data link using the Digital Technician; no need to remove the fairing.  Iron Cross Audio can do the flash, as well, if you send them your HK radio.

If you're considering the CVO speaker boxes in the fairing lowers, they work with the vented lowers but not the unvented lowers.  

I have the HK in my '04 EG with the CVO speaker boxes.  Since I sold the Arc 125.2 amp that was driving the speakers in the lowers (I'm waiting for the Rockford Fosgate 300W 4-channel amp), I'm using the rear speaker signal directly from the HK for the fairing lower speakers.  Without the amp, the speakers in the lowers are inadequate IMO.  The volume has to be raised to near max and the fader set almost fully for the lowers for them to be noticed while riding.  

Your experience may be different, of course, using the HK w/o an add-on amp for speakers in the lowers.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS:  I was very happy with the Arc 125.2 driving the speakers in the lowers with the fairing speakers using the signals from the HK (no add-on amp) and only sold it because of the RF price and 4-channel feature.  Adding the CVO speaker boxes was a really good audio upgrade w/ the amp; but, w/o the amp for the speakers in the lowers I would be disappointed. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:07:16 PM by Harleypingman »

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold

I did the same project on my bike. I put the wire harness on the back of the radio to add the xm,cb,nav. In that harness it also has the rear speaker connection. I just tied the lower speakers to the rear one under the fairing. I did take the bike to the dealer to see if they could "flash" the radio. They stated there was not a program to put the fader on the radio. Hope this helped.

141_starlifter

• Tour Pac?

• CVO1: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Silver

You can also send it to Iron Cross audio and have them do it and have them add the amp pre outs at the same time. I did mine and they do a great job.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3

Hi Dan - I had to take it to the dealer to be flashed.

Me too, charged me minimum time. Like $20.00
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

I like the fact that I do not have to remove the fairing "again" to have this done.  I've had mine off so many times I can almost get out the tools and it falls off.

I think I'm going to have it flashed when I have the speakers installed and give it a try without an additional amp and see what it sounds like.  I'll add the amp if necessary.

Thanks again for the great advice.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.