Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: K&N Filter Recall  (Read 1640 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
K&N Filter Recall
« on: June 20, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »

Notice I received from IBA.

As many in the long-distance community have heard, some K&N oil filters have been have been leaking oil and recently, some race tracks have issued notices that riders would be responsible for any track damage caused by running a K&N oil filter (effectively banning them as no one could afford those costs).

K&N has finally issued a SAFETY RECALL and identified which filters are subject to the defect.  Here are clips from the recall letter sent to dealers:

K&N has discovered that certain KN-204/204C oil filters manufactured between March 1 and September 30, 2016, can leak oil at the area where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine oil changes) is welded to the end of the filter. If there is such a leak, oil could come into contact with the rear tire or rear brake of the motorcycle on which the filter is installed. If this were to occur, it could lead to a loss of control or a crash. Therefore, K&N is conducting a recall under which it is offering to replace the covered oil filters at no charge, including the cost of return shipping.

A copy of the letter sent out to dealers with many more details and how to identify a recall filter is located at:

www.ironbutt.org/KandN/RCMN-17E044-1798.pdf

if you use K&N filters you should invest the time to make sure you are not using one of this filters or have one in your personal stock to use.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:30:07 AM by DesertHOG »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: K&N Filter Recall
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »

Never use a K&N filter and after seeing this I'm glad I haven't.  My concern (which was verified by a friend who did install a K&N oil filter) is that sometimes when removing an oil filter one finds that it is on there pretty tight. With the K&N it is easy for that little nut to deform and that is what happened to my buddy.  I think he finally had to pierce the filter from the side with a screwdriver in order to loosen it.

I'll stick with the HD filters. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »

Looks like the model I'm using isn't in the recall, KN-171B.  I'm a fan of the K&N filters so far.  Easy to remove and no leaks (on the 171 anyway). 

Thanks for the info, Simon.

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »

K&N oil filters are made "off shore", or anywhere but in the U.S.A.  Screw that! The air flow products are still U.S.A. built last time I inquired.

That unsightly little convenience nut for removal is not the be all if the filter itself is less than the very highest quality and sadly, they have slipped.

Use the appropriate filter wrench for removal of a quality U.S. made filter of your choice and you don't need no steenking nut.

I used to use K&N thinking they were the best product out there, until I ran into quality issues and discovered where they were made.

signed: O.C.D. regarding oil and filters.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »

Never use a K&N filter and after seeing this I'm glad I haven't.  My concern (which was verified by a friend who did install a K&N oil filter) is that sometimes when removing an oil filter one finds that it is on there pretty tight. With the K&N it is easy for that little nut to deform and that is what happened to my buddy.  I think he finally had to pierce the filter from the side with a screwdriver in order to loosen it.

I'll stick with the HD filters.

The issue there isn't the filter brand Jerry it's that someone put it on too tight.  I've had filters many times over the years that had to be badly abused to get them off.  Cars and bikes. 

The little nut on the K&N filters is convenient.  The filters have always had a reputation (earned in published industry testing) of being a good filter.  There are other "good filters" too so it's not anything I get religious about though. 

Amazon had a (likely) mistake and had the 171C filters our bikes use for five bucks and some change a few months back.  Good filters at a cheap price without a shelf life concern.  I bought a half dozen.  Just glad the 204/204C filters all the Harley riders are worried about here don't fit Harleys  :huepfenlol2: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »

Just a thought; at least K&N actually recalled their problematic product and is doing something with their customers on the problem.  Just sayin'  8)

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »

I had 8 bad k & n 171c filters a while back they were very hard to start on there if they would start at all however when they did it was hard to spin on and would not spin all the way on without a lot of force when I called them and ask about it they said that they are made somewhere else no and wanted me to send them a video and pitchers of me trying to put them on and wanted to know if the threads were clean and not messed up and what not I said I have been changing my own oil for 35 years or so I know what im doing its not the bike he insisted on a video a pitchers I said stick them up your a++ I will never by a k & n product again I cant rember what I paid for them I was mad as he!! and did not care about the money and told him I have used these filters for years but to no avail     

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 01:23:14 PM »

I had 8 bad k & n 171c filters a while back they were very hard to start on there if they would start at all however when they did it was hard to spin on and would not spin all the way on without a lot of force when I called them and ask about it they said that they are made somewhere else no and wanted me to send them a video and pitchers of me trying to put them on and wanted to know if the threads were clean and not messed up and what not I said I have been changing my own oil for 35 years or so I know what im doing its not the bike he insisted on a video a pitchers I said stick them up your a++ I will never by a k & n product again I cant rember what I paid for them I was mad as he!! and did not care about the money and told him I have used these filters for years but to no avail   

That would be enough to piss me off also.  Always the chance of an issue in an isolated production run.  Question then becomes what does the company do about it.  Fortunately (for me) I've not had an issue.  But your experience would be enough to make me change churches.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »

You must have talked to the wrong person that day. I had 5 on the shelf with the same issue. I called them and asked about it stating their web site has these as the correct filter. They told me they did a manufacturing change sometime in 2016. Asked when and where I bought them, heck I didn't know, bought em on line. Had me send them a picture of the 5 filters smashed so they couldn't be used, I got 5 new filters via UPS the next day! This is within the last month or so. Haven't used one yet, but I was really pleased with the response.

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 25 queries.