Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 SERG Wheel Chrome?  (Read 1468 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
2009 SERG Wheel Chrome?
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »

Don't know about others, but my rear wheel for several years has been flaking.

When I clean the inner hub area I get like chrome dust on my cloth.  I really don't see flakes missing on the wheel, but it's chrome for sure coming off.

I'm also seeing it now on the front wheel.

Are others having this issue?

Anyone ever have wheel re-chromed?

I may look for a slightly later wheel takeoff style, but I would like to keep the original style wheels.  Just want a good chrome job.

I guess after 10 years though, anything is possible.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: 2009 SERG Wheel Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »

I haven’t had any problems with the wheels on my 09, actually it’s one of the few things that hasn’t cost me any $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »

Hi Dan,
No issues at all with the wheels on my '09 at over 70,000 miles, still on the original wheel bearings.

Just out of curiosity what brake pads have you been running??

BTW, the "Blade" style wheels on the 09 serg are obsolete from Harley, I have seen a few rear wheels on places like eBay, but no fronts at all, anywhere...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

With the obsolete status rechrome is probably your only choice. Many choices in that field but I personally would recommend Advance Plating in Nashville Tn. The quality of their work is amazing and cost is in line with other shops that do not have the equipment or skills of Advance. I have had a lot of chrome done over the past 50 years and nothing comes close to this shop (Including Browns in Paducah when everyone rated them tops).

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »

Harley chrome has been known to peel (unfortunately)… had the chrome on my front wheel peel and wheel was replaced under the "good faith" warranty by the dealer. Your best bet as was previously posted is to get your wheel rechromed… if you were able to get another one from the MoCo who's to say you wouldn't experience the same thing down the road. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »

Thanks for the input and information guys.

Ed, I'm still running my original pads front/rear.  I'm at 21k miles now.

I can't say that the chrome is "peeling" per se, but when I wipe down the hub, and some other spots, I do get the chrome dust and you really cannot see where it came from.  But I know it's coming off.

I'll probably never buy another Harley, or bike for that matter, so the '09 SERG will just have to last me until I cannot ride it anymore.

So with 10 years gone by and only 20k miles, it should last me to that point.  I'd like to say that I would still be riding in my late 70's, but that's very optimistic on my part I'm sure.

I was going to do the lifters, Rocker Lockers, cam and inner cam bearings last winter, but that didn't happen, many this year though.  We rode to ES and since then we rode the SERG last weekend for a 100 or so miles for ice cream.  Linda hasn't been riding with me a lot so I do ride solo, but on my '76 FLH Shovelhead.  It's still a blast to ride.  I compare riding it to like riding a maxi scooter.  Although I'm sure a good running Honda Helix 250 would be it up to 60 mph.  It's like driving a dump truck.  You have to steer this thing and it's so hard on the handlebar for pressure, especially around town type speeds.  One thing that still gets me is that by 45 I'm in high gear... :)

Sorry for digressing and rambling again... :(

I'm in no major hurry on the wheels; not like lifters.  So as long as I'm not worried about them, I can live with them for a while.  I was just wondering if others were have the "chrome dust" issues.

Thanks again for comments and have a great weekend.

Speaking of a Honda Helix, I may be getting this fine piece.  It's a Helix CN250 1998 with 600 miles.

Can't have too many toys.

And just to cover my arse, Harry, Mike and John, I've not yet discussed this with the wife, so keep it to just us... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »

Harley chrome has been known to peel (unfortunately)… had the chrome on my front wheel peel and wheel was replaced under the "good faith" warranty by the dealer. Your best bet as was previously posted is to get your wheel rechromed… if you were able to get another one from the MoCo who's to say you wouldn't experience the same thing down the road. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Yep, The MoCo "good faithed" the Front wheel on my '05 SEEG (well out of the warranty period) for a couple of very minor pits,,, thought I was getting a "solid" from the MoCo until the replacement wheel peeled all over in less than 2 years,,, should have left well enough alone on that one LOL...

Dan, if you can't see the pitted area(s) with magnification, you should be able to feel it with your fingernail?? Could the flakes that you see be material from the rear Pulley or rear Pads?? 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »

Dan, if you can't see the pitted area(s) with magnification, you should be able to feel it with your fingernail?? Could the flakes that you see be material from the rear Pulley or rear Pads??

Ed, I've thought about that, but I've had some on the front wheel too.  So sprocket would be ruled out on that.  But could be brake pad shiny dust, but I doubt it.

Not bad enough to worry me at this point, but I will watch is closely.

Those that somewhat know me, know I keep my bike spotless "most" of the time.  I feel really bad about this summer though.  We got caught in the rain on the way home from ES on June 9th and have not cleaned the bike since.  In my defense though, this past Sunday was the first time it's been out of the garage since then.  Linda wanted to ride and I was too lazy to clean it, so just a few squirts of water and that was it.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 21 queries.