Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Toy hauler or class c  (Read 7373 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Toy hauler or class c
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »

So Kathy and I went to the Milwaukee rv show this past weekend as we have done for the last few years. We have been talking about getting a toy hauler for a few years now and it always amps up after we go to the show. The ones that we really like are to heavy for our half ton truck and the ones that would work are to small for two street glides. Leaving her bike behind isn't an option so nothing about that. This year I talked her into looking at a few class c motor homes. We have a 7x14 enclosed trailer that we put the bikes in for long trips and I think a class c with a hitch to pull our current trailer would work but we can't decide which way to go. For you guys with toy haulers what do you have and what do you pull it with? We have a 2012 Silverado 1500 and looking for a toy hauler that is light enough to be pulled by that but big enough for two street glides.

Thanks
Kevin

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Toy hauler or class c
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »

Hey Kevin welcome to the ever changing toyhauler questions. that 1500 will not work. Work and play makes a toy trailer but not much for comfort. Even if you bought a dualy 3500 oil burner you are still going to be hard pressed to find a garage long enough and wide enough to stagger 2 baggers with fairings. There may be a few but loading them might take some work, like removing bags and suck. And its going to be a big heavy unit. Say 40' and 15,000lbs+. The cool thing about pulling a toyhauler is when you park it you still have a truck to drive if you don't wish to ride the bikes. Then there are the motorized deals. The sprinter diesels (B's and C's) are nice but not much room and expensive but you could use them as a driver every now and then for trips. Then Super C's and A's gas and diesels. I can make an argument for most, advise? Take your time and figure your budget.

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:59:58 PM »

Grand Design makes a whole line of Momentum toyhaulers that'll haul two Street Glides or two Ultra Classics and they are built for comfort (I have a Momentum that we live in full time) and will spoil you, fast.  But they all take a 1 ton dually.  Many people with Momentum's hauling two baggers.   There are only a few toyhaulers that you do not void the warranty if you live in it full time.  Momentum's honor their warranty even if you live in it full time and they put it in writing.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »

Lance 2612 Toyhauler https://www.lancecamper.com/toy-haulers/2612/

I had a couple thinks I wanted accomplish with this purchase:

1) Front bunk with private entry to the bathroom
2) not too large that I couldn't haul it up some of the mountain roads I like and camp/hunt
3) fit in my driveway so I wouldn't have to pay for additional storage of site
4) My Wife liked it (probably should be number one)
5) I kinda like to to have the whole trailer to my self when hunting because I sleep much better and can do my own thing. My days of living with another stinky hunter or hunters is over they can get their own rigs.   Now, I do plan on hauling a couple of new grand kids around.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »

I always wanted a Lance slide in camper but my better half didn't like them.  Well built, the only slide in designed to be used stand alone (strong floor) so I'm betting their pull behinds are just as well built, too.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »

I went through a similar situation and was set on finding something 1500-towable.  Didn't take long before I upgraded to a 2500 and ever so glad I did. 

I would recommend checking out the Stryker toy haulers.  They seem to have the best value, most well thought out floorplans I have seen.  They have a few that are 1/2 ton models with open floor plan to make hauling easier.  Not a fan of the separate garage models as that really chops up/limits living quarters when camping.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »

Haird: I always wanted a Lance slide in camper but my better half didn't like them.  Well built, the only slide in designed to be used stand alone (strong floor) so I'm betting their pull behinds are just as well built, too.

Yes for an RV they're put together pretty well and because of that they run a bit more money.  When I was looking for a new rig the pricing and size were all over the board but as mentioned this one fit my needs.

When I bought it in'16 I had a 2006 Ram 4x4 Deisel 2500 which towed it just fine but I decided to replace that (my son needed a truck for work) I bought a 3500 4x4 Ram with Aiisin transmission I wanted that tranny and the 3500's are the only ones they put them in.

I did get a bit of sticker shock when I started shopping since it'd been 11 years since my last vehicle purchase!

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:03:35 PM »

The lancer looks nice but the weight of the trailer and our bikes would probably be a hard workout for our 1/2 ton. We found one we liked but when we put the bikes in my fairing was less then a 1/4in from the counter top, to close for comfort. This is the one we put the bikes in
https://www.countrycampers.com/rv/2017-forest-river-cherokee-grey-wolf-26rr-1760629

Not from this dealer but a different one. We still like it but can't figure out how to get more space between the counter top and my bike's fairing.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »

Kevin the Desert Hauler is a smaller toy hauler made by Northwood up in Oregon (the same people that make Arctic Fox....a great reputation in the industry).  You'll need to see if they're towable with a half ton.  The two Street Glides are 3/4 of a ton, by theirself without the trailer, equipment, fuel, water, clothes, food, etc. :nixweiss:

http://northwoodmfg.com/toy-haulers/desert-fox/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:36:45 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »

Those look nice too. Looks like our problem is going to be the truck. Guess it will continue to be a dream seeing as the finances don't allow for the purchase of a new trailer and a new 2500. Oh well, doesn't hurt to dream or make plans for the future.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »

That desert looks like a very nice unit..
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »

Kevin there are some used diesels out there that are very low mileage, have been maintained and have all the service records.  I sold a 2012 F-250 last year (I moved up to a dually) that had never pulled anything more than a motorcycle trailer.  I sold it to low (because my phone blew up with calls from Auto Trader) so somebody got a great deal.  The difference between mine and other 2012s at the same asking price was that mine was fully maintained with all the records and I had it washed every week and waxed every three months so it still looked new.  I'm just saying they're out there if you just stay patient and keep looking and have your money or financing all lined up.....because those really good deals don't last.   :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »

Start looking for a good used 2500 first. May take a year or so.  But there is a difference between hauling a trailer down a straight level road and pulling one up a three mile hill, or a  30 mph crosswind,  or interstate traffic where you need a little git up and go sometimes.  Seems like that is your limiting factor right now.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »

Agreed INDENIAL (like that name)....  once you go to Diesel it would be hard to back to go back.  The pull power of the '17 Ram vs the '06 Ram with the Lance behind it was very impressive.  Both did the job but that extra torque on the new rig begin giving me a woodie.....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »

And......if you're going to look at "used", I'd sure not limit myself to a 3/4 ton.  It's very possible that you can find a 1 ton that's only a year older for the same money or maybe it has another 10k-15k miles on it (which is nothing for a diesel).  I would just start looking at all options for diesel.

Getting a 1 ton now would allow you to move up in trailer size, when you're ready to, without having to move up in truck like you're having to do now.  And, it's not a matter of "if" you move up......it's a matter of "when".  I've read that over and over on many RV and toy hauler forums and thought "not me.....I'm happy with this one" and a year later I was moving up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:55:41 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.