Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: I will never say anything againest Helment Law Again  (Read 12357 times)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
I will never say anything againest Helment Law Again
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »

This past Sat. I went down hard on my right side Do not remember anything that happened, Knocked me out, Broke collarbone on right side, Right arm just below shoulder and elbow and knuckles on left hand chewed up pretty good, both knees.

My helmet done what it is suppose to do, It didn't break it just eat all the paint off the side and front. If i had not been wearing it really don't think i would be here today.

As far as the bike it has scratches on the Faring and Saddle Bag, the Crashbar took the hardest impact at this point do not know if frame is bent or not, Front forks did not appear to have any damage by just looking at them. But when i went to look at the bike i had only been out of the emergency room about 45 mins. so i was feeling pretty good from the meds. they gave me. (LOL)

I will never ride again without a helmet !!

Everyone Please ride safe  :2vrolijk_21:

Dan
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
Re: I will never say anything againest Helment Law Again
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »

Glad you're ok. It's easy for many of us to talk about the old days where we didn't have to wear helmets. It takes stories and experiences like yours to remind us about the possible consequences of wearing our $10 brain buckets.  Hope you heal soon.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »

I'm sure you are in a lot of pain considering the extent of your injuries but, as you said, nothing as serious as a head injury. Glad you are ok.

I have always worn my helmet when riding and the seatbelt when driving, even before it was the law to do so.

Just a quick question, what kind of helmet were you wearing? half, 3/4, or full? I have a tough time wearing a full helmet but your story might convince me to get over my claustrophobia.

Cam

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »

Wow,...glad you are doing better. So what caused you to go down on your right side?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »

Glad you are ok, noggin-wise.  Helmet wearing is a personal option in some states.  Anymore I wear mine, because of stories like yours, from folks I know personally.  Have broken a couple of helmets over the years, & was better than breaking my head.  Bad headaches though...
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »

This past Sat. I went down hard on my right side Do not remember anything that happened, Knocked me out, Broke collarbone on right side, Right arm just below shoulder and elbow and knuckles on left hand chewed up pretty good, both knees.

My helmet done what it is suppose to do, It didn't break it just eat all the paint off the side and front. If i had not been wearing it really don't think i would be here today.

As far as the bike it has scratches on the Faring and Saddle Bag, the Crashbar took the hardest impact at this point do not know if frame is bent or not, Front forks did not appear to have any damage by just looking at them. But when i went to look at the bike i had only been out of the emergency room about 45 mins. so i was feeling pretty good from the meds. they gave me. (LOL)

I will never ride again without a helmet !!

Everyone Please ride safe  :2vrolijk_21:

Dan
Glad you're here to tell the tale Dan.

I looked at the damage to my face and helmet after I got hit and resolved to never go without one again.  I'm all about choice, but I'd be dead without one.
The best you've had is the best you know.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »

I'm sure you are in a lot of pain considering the extent of your injuries but, as you said, nothing as serious as a head injury. Glad you are ok.

I have always worn my helmet when riding and the seatbelt when driving, even before it was the law to do so.

Just a quick question, what kind of helmet were you wearing? half, 3/4, or full? I have a tough time wearing a full helmet but your story might convince me to get over my claustrophobia.

Cam

1/2 helmet By AFX, this helmet comes down behind your head covers part of your neck, I think thats what kept the helmet from sliding off my head.
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »

Wow,...glad you are doing better. So what caused you to go down on your right side?

From what i can remember i topped a little hill and what i thought was a car stopped to turn left was two of the guys i was riding with, I guess i just got on the brakes two hard in a panic stop and bike slide side ways and i went down. NC State Trooper told me bike slide 93 feet and i slide 65 feet. Good thing it was cool that morning cause i did have a jacket on, not leather, the shirt i had on was a sleeveless Screamin Eagle, I guess my arm would have less hide on than it does now.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »

Get better and ride. I lived in two states with no helmet law and always wore one.
Bill

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »

SERK3, I'm glad you are ok, considering the situation. I too believe we should have choices, but I'm in a state that doesn't offer that. I would still wear a helmet, I believe. my daughter & her husband went down in front of me 05/18/14. he tried a panic stop to make a turn & had too much rear brake. once in a rear tire slide you need to be married to it until you stop. the min you let off, the be tire starts rolling & it's gonna high side ya. they were wearing helmets & jackets as well. she has a strawberry on knee & heal of hand,bruise on calf from saddlebag. he had alittle road rash on hand. ALL is good, as in your case also. Praise GOD! hope you heal soon !
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »

Dan, 

Hope you heel up well and fast.    :2vrolijk_21:

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Honneybeast

• Full CVO Member
  • A cowboy from hell on a twisted trail
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »

Glad your as well off as you are, I also believe it should be my choice to wear a helmet or not but mine saved my noggin this spring when I went down hard.
Get well soon and get back on that horse.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »

Hang in there!  Make the best of your second chance.
I feel naked with out my Helmet...!
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »

:P
I agree with wearing one and always wear mine.  Didn't do that many, many years ago on the streets but got used to wearing one in endures where your head might smack a tree limb, etc.  I wear the 3/4 helmet,  sometimes it's a pain in the azz to put on/take off and deal with sunglasses on and off too...........but your head weighs around 15-16 pounds (so I have heard).
Going off the bike at speed,  would be very difficult to keep your head from smacking the ground/pavement.  Hell,  I've tipped over in a parking lot two or three times (with two up).....and the helmets can be life savers in even that kind of spill.

::)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »

Dan,
Sorry to hear you went down, but glad to hear you will heal.
We have the freedom of choice here in SC. That being said, I used to exercised that right until my oldest grandson started riding and at
18 I saw him without his helmet and hit the ceiling.He was living with us back then. He said, " Grandaddy you don't ware yours". Well I made a deal with him and have been wearing on every time I get on the bike. Also boots, long pants :worthless:, long sleeve shirt or leather jacket, and gloves. My choice!
Heal up quick and let Insurance worry about the bike.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.