Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: I will never say anything againest Helment Law Again  (Read 12360 times)

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
Re: I will never say anything againest Helment Law Again
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »

So glad your going to be OK, we have the choice here in Indiana, but I never ride without mine, long pants, and gloves are a must for me, I just feel Naked without my helmet, have seen too many die because there too stubborn to wear theirs.  I used to live in NY, was riding my 04 Yamaha V Star, dropped it at the end of my driveway, slid on my hands, my head hit the road, and my heel got caught under my foot board, I couldn't get out, my ex had to come back and lift that 500lb bike off my heel, thank god for my Harley boots and my leather gloves, my gloves are shredded and I was only going slow, my helmet was scratched, I remember the sound of my head hitting the blacktop.
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »

:cherry:
I'm waiting on the riders with (B.S. "DOT") stickers on their 1/2 helmets to chime in on this issue.......... :drink:

or those that don't wear one at all and are convinced..............it ain't never gonna happen to me. :nervous:

But as a final note..................Let me add that the (title) of this posting is NOT one I fully support.  I do indeed believe that all (should have the "sense") to wear a helmet,  but it should (not) be dictated by law.  This only leads to further limitations via (B.S. Laws) that encroach upon our freedoms.  Examples from past years have been mandated goggles, leathers including leather pants and boots.............and once upon a time...............believe it or not,  a State Senator stood up and proposed "seat belts" be mandated for motorcycles. :oops:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:22:04 PM by moscooter »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »

:cherry:
I'm waiting on the riders with (B.S. "DOT") stickers on their 1/2 helmets to chime in on this issue.......... :drink:

or those that don't wear one at all and are convinced..............it ain't never gonna happen to me. :nervous:

But as a final note..................Let me add that the (title) of this posting is NOT one I fully support.  I do indeed believe that all (should have the "sense") to wear a helmet,  but it should (not) be dictated by law.  This only leads to further limitations via (B.S. Laws) that encroach upon our freedoms.  Examples from past years have been mandated goggles, leathers including leather pants and boots.............and once upon a time...............believe it or not,  a State Senator stood up and proposed "seat belts" be mandated for motorcycles. :oops:

I don't wear one, my choice. I also don't drink like many people do and then ride my bike. We all make choices in life and when you do you are accepting the consequences. I ripped the tag off a mattresss once. Glad the OP is ok. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:26:14 PM by Jswerve »

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »

Good to hear you survived the crash.I have a couple helmets that saved me so I do support wearing one but as was said let the rider decide.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »

Glad you made it through the wreck.  I never used to wear a helmet but as I have seen some bad wrecks I dont ride without it long pants boots and jacket.

Get well soon
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:51:03 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »

:-\
Living in Sunset Beach,  N.C. (which is a mere six miles from the So. Carolina border in Calabash).  I can relate with several years of observation on how bikers (around here),  deal with the helmet laws.  In No. Carolina,  a helmet is required for riders and passengers.  While in So. Carolina,  only those under 21 must wear helmets and those older (with obviously harder heads),  can go without. :confused5:

My (totally unofficial) estimate made over several years of watching the Spring and Fall M. Beach Rallys would be that over 90 percent of riders running around in So.  Carolina go WITHOUT a helmet and likely half or better of the remaining 10 percent that do wear helmets are wearing non DOT certified helmets.  It is not uncommon to see some riders come up from M. Beach and thru Little River and continue on into No. Carolina (without) a helmet and then get a ticket because of it. :oops:

King2013

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

Sorry to hear of your accident. I'm still pro choice on this issue even after my accident.
I was lucky to be wearing mine when I got hit. I had a nice Harley 1/2 helmet which I though was a total rip off for the 185.00 it cost. Helmet stayed on my head and in one piece, I did get a concussion but the helmet was totaled with huge gouges in it.
After my accident, I bought a similar helmet from Harley for 185.00.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 09:45:06 PM »

I don't wear one, my choice. I also don't drink like many people do and then ride my bike. We all make choices in life and when you do you are accepting the consequences. I ripped the tag off a mattresss once. Glad the OP is ok. Best of luck.

Everyone has a choice. We use to not wear a helmet when we went to the beach.
After a friend (Click Baldwin) died from head injuries while riding I got to thinking.
When I didn't wear a helmet my wife didn't either. She followed my lead.
How stupid would I be to have her on the back and because I didn't wear a helmet she got hurt.
I wear a helmet for my safety and for hers.
In my world, there is nothing more important than her.
And that's my choice.

Dan, my friend, I hate it for you and hopefully soon you will be better.
I also hate it for your bike, as far as red bikes go it was a beautiful one.

SBB
(surrounded by blue)

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »

Like many others, I believe its a choice.

I've been wearing mine more and more even though I used to be a staunch "NO" person.

It's not me I worry about.. its the douchebags in cages (on cell phones, eating, putting on makeup, etc) that simply arent paying atention to the road that worry me.

Too many close calls to NOT wear one most of the time.

And FWIW, I have a couple of DOT half shells, a really nice Modular and my new NEXX CF full face (1200 grams). I use the NEXX the most because I have my comm unit attached to it.

Glad the OP is OK... we all make mistakes.. youre fortunate to be able to tell the tale.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »

I am all for a choice but I don't want to pay for the ones that decide to ride without one. I believe FL has it right with two different insurance rates.

Health insurance is going the same way, smokers will pay more as they should.

Can't wait until fat asses have to pay more to fly!! If your ass is to wide you should mandatory pay for two seats.....

Okay I am off my soup box

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »

I am all for a choice but I don't want to pay for the ones that decide to ride without one. I believe FL has it right with two different insurance rates.

Health insurance is going the same way, smokers will pay more as they should.

Can't wait until fat asses have to pay more to fly!! If your ass is to wide you should mandatory pay for two seats.....

Okay I am off my soup box

As narrow as the seats are if I pay more I expect more!

Even my wife thats #110 soaking wet thinks the seats are too narrow!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »

Dan glad to hear that you are on the mend and hopefully you will be riding again soon.

Now:  :soapbox:
Got to throw my two cents in on the helmet thing: Over the years I have broken a couple that did their job wonderfully. However, now I seldom ride with one. I have cervical spine issues that cause me to get a headache within seconds of putting one on. I have a carbon fiber one and was hoping that the reduced weight would make a big difference, not a ton of luck there. If I was required to wear one my riding would be cut drastically.  I know I am taking a risk and if I go out because of it, so be it, I was doing one of the things in that I love. Lots of worse ways to go out.

I asked this in another post awhile back and not much was said, but I recall in the late 70’s that a study was made on head injury fatal accidents vs broken neck fatal accidents using states with helmet laws vs non helmet law states and that study showed it was just about a wash. I have poked around on the internet a bit trying to find a similar study that was conducted by a unbiased group but I haven't had any luck. If I recall correctly the theory about the increase in broken necks was that the added weight contributed. Anybody know of any such studies that are current? 

Insurance: One group wins, another one looses – same deal with any special interest. Soon the Insurance Company will want to know what kind of eggs you eat and if they aren't free range, grab your wallet.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 05:39:10 AM »

I asked this in another post awhile back and not much was said, but I recall in the late 70’s that a study was made on head injury fatal accidents vs broken neck fatal accidents using states with helmet laws vs non helmet law states and that study showed it was just about a wash. I have poked around on the internet a bit trying to find a similar study that was conducted by a unbiased group but I haven't had any luck. If I recall correctly the theory about the increase in broken necks was that the added weight contributed. Anybody know of any such studies that are current?
That "study" is the stuff of myth.  It doesn't exist.  Further, if it did, it'd be about worthless, as helmet weights are a fraction of what they were in the '70s.

A helmet will only protect you in certain kinds of wrecks.  Slam into an immovable object at 80 and you're probably going to die no matter what you're wearing.  While it's certainly possible that the weight of the helmet may contribute to neck injury, it's pretty likely that they type of wreck that would whip you around like that would do other substantial damage to your body.  IOW, it's junk science that sounds reasonable enough that a lot of people believe it.

If you don't want to wear a helmet, don't wear one.  You're safer with one on, and that's just not debatable.
The best you've had is the best you know.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 06:07:42 AM »

First, I want to say Thanks to everyone for the well wishes it really means alot to me.
i went to the Orthopaedic Dr. yesterday and he confirmed my collarbone is broken not cracked, So next Tuesday 6/3/14 i go in for surgery, Plate and screws. ( wonder if that means i will have to carry a screwdriver around with me) :huepfenlol2:

Second, I agree, We should have the right to choose weather we wear a helmet or not, Here in TN. its the law, But when we go to Myrtle Beach or Panama City Beach, Fl. as soon as we cross into SC or FL. the helmets came off and stayed off, But never again.

All i hope and pray for is that each and everyone of you enjoy what we all love to do, But please ride smart and safe. :2vrolijk_21:

Dan

07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »

Not too long ago, I was riding back from lunch on a sat afternoon with about 3other guys.   Unfortunately one went down at about 30 mph.  He was slightly ahead of me and on my left side.  Something happened that caused him to go down.  So luckily he did have his helmet on.    He barely had any scrapes, somehow he was able to roll some though he did bang his knee.  Looked at that helmet that he was wearing,, and could not believe the chunk that was taken out of it.  We were all so happy he was wearing it. We all knew that could have been his head.  We picked up the bike and thanked God that he was ok.   What we do here is pretty crazy anyway,,  why not do anything we can to protect our heads?     I know it's choice,,, but my choice is to put it on when I ride.   I still manage to enjoy the ride and I too feel nekid without one.    Just sayin.   Stuart.
Dan,, glad you are still here with us,,   Keep us posted on how you are improving.   Get well soon!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:48:51 PM by cvostu »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 21 queries.