Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: I will never say anything againest Helment Law Again  (Read 12358 times)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Re: I will never say anything againest Helment Law Again
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 06:21:32 AM »

Everyone has a choice. We use to not wear a helmet when we went to the beach.
After a friend (Click Baldwin) died from head injuries while riding I got to thinking.
When I didn't wear a helmet my wife didn't either. She followed my lead.
How stupid would I be to have her on the back and because I didn't wear a helmet she got hurt.
I wear a helmet for my safety and for hers.
In my world, there is nothing more important than her.
And that's my choice.

Dan, my friend, I hate it for you and hopefully soon you will be better.
I also hate it for your bike, as far as red bikes go it was a beautiful one.

SBB
(surrounded by blue)

Chip, Thanks, I'm not sure if the bike is totaled or not, going to take it to Smokey Mtn. H-D today, just looking at it, it doesn't look that bad (I look worse) but I'm afraid as hard as it came down on the crash bar that it bent the down tube.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 07:20:10 AM »

Dan. hate to hear this. I'm glad yer ok, so to speak, hope you heal up quickly and back on the road soon.

Phillip
Wut the hell was that maneuver

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »

Chip, Thanks, I'm not sure if the bike is totaled or not, going to take it to Smokey Mtn. H-D today, just looking at it, it doesn't look that bad (I look worse) but I'm afraid as hard as it came down on the crash bar that it bent the down tube.
They're funny about that stuff.

Had a friend with a Street Glide who bent the tab that the crash bar attaches to the down tube.  They ended up cutting the steering head (with the VIN) off and replacing the frame.  After I got hit (and like you, didn't think the bike looked "too bad" when I was still high after leaving the hospital), the insurance adjuster and the dealer estimated $24,000 worth of repairs, and they refused to total the bike.

Long story short, we argued back and forth for about a week and I finally got them to total the thing.  Picture included to show:

- What $24,000 worth of damage looks like on a 2010 FLHTK

- What "doesn't look too bad" looks like to a guy who's loaded with painkillers and has a massive concussion.

Best of luck to you.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »

Not too long ago, I was riding back from lunch on a sat afternoon with about 3other guys.   Unfortunately one went down at about 30 mph.  He was slightly ahead of me and on my left side.  Something happened that caused him to go down.  So luckily he did have his helmet on.    He barely had any scrapes, somehow he was able to roll some though he did bang his knee.  Looked at that helmet that he was wearing,, and could not believe the chunk that was taken out of it.  We were all so happy he was wearing it. We all knew that could have bed his head.  We picked yup the bike and thanked God that he was ok.   What we do here is pretty crazy anyway,,  why not do anything we can to protect our heads?     I know it's choice,,, but my choice is to put it on when I ride.   I still manage to enjoy the ride and I too feel nekid without one.    Just sayin.   Stuart.
Dan,, glad you are still here with us,,   Keep us posted on how you are improving.   Get well soon!

Stu where did you find a helmet to fit that big head?

I'm just glad we can choose here in Iowa. A friend of ours and her husband were hit last June her head bounced off the concrete she isn't ever going to be the same limited movement on her entire left side.

Our knee jerk reaction was to sell the bike, then after awhile we thought about wearing helmets, in the end we did neither. We know when we jump in a car, airplane, motorcycle, etc. It can be deadly. I don't worry about it too much I'm too busy enjoying living to worry about dying or I'd never leave the house!

Call it what you want it's my life and my choice. Don't take life too seriously none of us are getting out alive.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »

I'm just glad we can choose here in Iowa. A friend of ours and her husband were hit last June her head bounced off the concrete she isn't ever going to be the same limited movement on her entire left side.

Our knee jerk reaction was to sell the bike, then after awhile we thought about wearing helmets, in the end we did neither. We know when we jump in a car, airplane, motorcycle, etc. It can be deadly. I don't worry about it too much I'm too busy enjoying living to worry about dying or I'd never leave the house!

Call it what you want it's my life and my choice. Don't take life too seriously none of us are getting out alive.
I agree, it's all about risk assessment.

After I got hit, I couldn't ride without wearing a full helmet and full gear.  As time went on, I found my comfort level rising and I was able to wear a half helmet again, and go out without proper riding pants or a jacket.  My wife still puts on the full astronaut suit when she gets on the bike, and that's totally her choice.

The best you've had is the best you know.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014, 09:34:36 AM »

I agree, it's all about risk assessment.

After I got hit, I couldn't ride without wearing a full helmet and full gear.  As time went on, I found my comfort level rising and I was able to wear a half helmet again, and go out without proper riding pants or a jacket.  My wife still puts on the full astronaut suit when she gets on the bike, and that's totally her choice.

I'm not saying it's the safest way to do it just the way we prefer.  We just bought 2 helmets for our trip to the Smokies late June. I'm riding through Tennessee and North Carolina so no choice. Who knows maybe a new trend will start?

Where we live, and I'm sure many here can relate, way too many riders spend countless hours bar hopping inhaling mass quantities of alcohol. That's a big problem in need of addressing as well as cell phones. Both, to me, way bigger issues then whether or not to wear a helmet? 

Maybe the above 2 reasons are even more trains to wear a helmet lol.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »

In my world, there is nothing more important than her.

SBB
(surrounded by blue)

Chip that's a real cool thing to say. When I get the RG and my wife Sarah is riding with me, she will be wrapped in Kevlar and wear a full helmet for the same reason you mentioned.

In my case, when Sarah agreed for me to buy a bike, I promised her I will never ride a bike without a helmet. It's true that we all have to die someday and that's not what I'm afraid of at all. But I'm not into pain if it can be avoided and I am also more afraid of surviving as a vegetable.

So next Tuesday 6/3/14 i go in for surgery, Plate and screws. ( wonder if that means i will have to carry a screwdriver around with me) :huepfenlol2:

Dan

Dan,

May I suggest that you insist on Chrome SE plate and screws. (Just a little levity - hope it's not too soon and you don't mind!)

Get well soon!

Cam

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »

Chip that's a real cool thing to say. When I get the RG and my wife Sarah is riding with me, she will be wrapped in Kevlar and wear a full helmet for the same reason you mentioned.

In my case, when Sarah agreed for me to buy a bike, I promised her I will never ride a bike without a helmet. It's true that we all have to die someday and that's not what I'm afraid of at all. But I'm not into pain if it can be avoided and I am also more afraid of surviving as a vegetable.

Dan,

May I suggest that you insist on Chrome SE plate and screws. (Just a little levity - hope it's not too soon and you don't mind!)

Get well soon!

Cam

Lol!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »

As the helmet debate continues, I'm not afraid of dying, ( we all will if we live long enough ), it's the thought of existing as a vegetable that scares me. I don't want my family to have to deal with that chit.
Anyway speedy healing Dan.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

hogasm

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »

They're funny about that stuff.

Had a friend with a Street Glide who bent the tab that the crash bar attaches to the down tube.  They ended up cutting the steering head (with the VIN) off and replacing the frame.  After I got hit (and like you, didn't think the bike looked "too bad" when I was still high after leaving the hospital), the insurance adjuster and the dealer estimated $24,000 worth of repairs, and they refused to total the bike.

Long story short, we argued back and forth for about a week and I finally got them to total the thing.  Picture included to show:

- What $24,000 worth of damage looks like on a 2010 FLHTK

- What "doesn't look too bad" looks like to a guy who's loaded with painkillers and has a massive concussion.

Best of luck to you.

That looks like 24k worth of damage. You were extremely lucky to walk away from it.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »

:cherry:
All the discussion so far as I have seen...still does not get to the "why"/"because" or whatever rationale used to decide NOT to go with a good helmet.

As an example,  I have a fellow Harley riding friend that a few years ago,  had open heart surgery and a multiple bypass done.  After that procedure,  he was always "bugged" in a car/truck to have the shoulder/seat belt coming across his chest and buckled. :-\   Now, that to me.......seemed to have some decent rationale behind it,  due to his surgery.  I don't think that is a problem to him anymore,  and by the way,  he does wear a helmet when riding.

In a similar vein,  there may be some folks that have had a previous head injury or some prior problem that makes it painful or problematic for them to wear a helmet.  In that event,  it seems reasonable that they may choose not to deal with a helmet.

Where I'm going with this is........................"LOOKING COOL". ::)

If one is choosing NOT to wear a helmet cause it (looks too big/makes them look like a space cadet)..........or their hair might get mussed up (helmet head)........or the Doo Rag and or backwards ballcap looks so much better..........

If any of the above examples or similar ones are your reason for not wearing a helmet,  I would suggest you're accepting the potential to be tits up or drooling out the side of your mouth and not even knowing it.............all because..........Hey,  I am gonna look cool at all times while I'm riding. :drink: 

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »

Dan, relieved you weren't hurt even more than you were.  It could have been much worse, and I'm glad wasn't.

I never ride without a helmet.  I'm not afraid of dying;  I think if an accident is severe enough to kill you, a helmet isn't going to make a huge difference.  However, I am afraid of having a minor accident like this one, where my head bounces off the pavement, and I sustain a traumatic brain injury. IMHO, surviving with severe neural deficits, or worse, in a persistent vegetative state, would be much worse than dying.  These are the things that helmets prevent best.  Besides, road rash on my beautiful face would be a tragedy!   :rolleyes3: :zstupid:

One of my worst experiences was when I had to evaluate a 17 y/o boy for organ donation.  He was sitting on the back of a bike without a helmet in his high school parking with  his friend.  The friend popped a wheelie, the kid fell off the back and hit his head on the pavement, and that was all she wrote.

Be safe,

Dan

Kilaani

• Scarlett - The Bike On Fire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • CVOH! My Scarlett built 3-13-12, & arrived 6-1-12
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2014, 07:34:51 PM »

As the helmet debate continues, I'm not afraid of dying, ( we all will if we live long enough ), it's the thought of existing as a vegetable that scares me. I don't want my family to have to deal with that chit.
Anyway speedy healing Dan.
Mike
 :drink:

Exactly, Mike. A friend of mine is down, was hit by a cage doing an illegal U turn. He is/was an everyday rider, actually sells motorcycles and my husband and I have made 3 bike sales with him including Scarlett, herself.... He is in rehab after nearly a month and multiple surgeries in the hospital, he has a broken pelvis, almost died, no idea how long it's going to take to learn to walk again (and he has been in several accidents before so, had chronic pain beforehand; I can't even imagine what it's like now).

My friend could use everyone's prayers. I wanted to visit him, but he's not up for anyone to visit him yet. He said he's got to keep his focus on his new reality. When I talked to him yesterday, he said his state is like a quadriplegic but he can still feel. Ugh. Breaks my heart for him.

Here's my only real point to this post. One thing he isn't worried about is his scrambled brains that his helmet protected. If he hadn't been wearing a helmet, he'd have been dead for sure.
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »

Jesse.  HD baby.  Only an xl.  Seriously,, we've had this conversation before.    I've seen too much and I've got way too much going on. I will do anything I can to protect My pretty head and Lisa's too. I hope the trip east will convert you and Michelle.  I know I am more aggressive and have lots more fun with my head protected somewhat.   I enjoy the ride actually a lot more.   Stuart.  :beatdeadhorse:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »

Jesse.  HD baby.  Only an xl.  Seriously,, we've had this conversation before.    I've seen too much and I've got way too much going on. I will do anything I can to protect My pretty head and Lisa's too. I hope the trip east will convert you and Michelle.  I know I am more aggressive and have lots more fun with my head protected somewhat.   I enjoy the ride actually a lot more.   Stuart.  :beatdeadhorse:

Stu if I was worried about it that much I'd sell the bike and stay in the house and watch tv all day. You're never going to be as safe on your 2 wheeler.

As far as being more aggressive, a helmet won't change anything. Always ride within my ability not according to what clothes I have on.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.