Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Batwing Fairing Shake  (Read 3495 times)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Batwing Fairing Shake
« on: April 21, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »

2005 SEEG.  Fairing shakes and rattles between about 1100 and 1600 RPM.  Idle is OK as well as anything moving above 2000 RPM.  I have checked the brackets (multiple times) and they are not broken.  They are the original brackets that I repaired about 10 years ago with angle brackets and they are still holding strong.  Speaker brackets were replaced about the same time when I changed to the Hogtunes speakers.  I have checked this many times and can find nothing loose but the shake and rattle persists.  I see HD has updated the brackets.  Anyone else experience this and if so, any suggestions?
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Batwing Fairing Shake
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »

Have you checked the front motor mount?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 06:03:04 PM »

Have you checked the front motor mount?

X2, If that’s the original motor mount, it’s probably spent, mine certainly was.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »

Motor mount was replaced in January (it was shot).  Fairing shake was present before and after the mount was replaced.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »

Not sure what is causing your shake if the brackets and motor mount are fine. 

But since you asked about the updated fairing brackets, I have changed to them on a few bikes and they work good, never had one of the updated brackets break.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Batwing Fairing Shake
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »

I posted this a couple of weeks ago and it ended up in the 2006 CVO category (operator error?).  Reposting here to get more exposure:

2005 SEEG.  Fairing shakes and rattles between about 1100 and 1600 RPM.  Idle is OK as well as anything moving above 2000 RPM.  I have checked the brackets (multiple times) and they are not broken.  They are the original brackets that I repaired about 10 years ago with angle brackets and they are still holding strong.  Speaker brackets were replaced about the same time when I changed to the Hogtunes speakers.  I have checked this many times and can find nothing loose but the shake and rattle persists.  Front motor mount was replaced last fall with no change. I see HD has updated the brackets.  Anyone else experience this and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »

They are the original brackets that I repaired about 10 years ago with angle brackets and they are still holding strong.

Double check the brackets. The ones on my '06 were repaired with "L" brackets, and held up well. Then they broke in another spot. Both of them. The breaks were difficult to see behind all the wiring, but once I saw them, it was clear. When you have the outer fairing off, give it a good shake and see what moves.

Good luck!

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »

Thanks.  I'll take another look at the brackets.  Thinking about just replacing them with the upgraded ones.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »

If you do decide to just go ahead and replace brackets you may want to check out the aftermarket nylon ones. They are available for about $60 a set. I have not used them myself. Maybe others have and can chime in.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »

+1 on double checking the brackets.  I went down that road some time ago, repaired the original breaks with bolted-on reinforcements, eventually the brackets broke in a different location.  I finally replaced them with the new updated brackets.

Another thing to look at is the tune in the 1000 - 1800 rpm range.  Mine was extremely lean, making the engine run very rough in that range.  After richening the mixture it smoothed out to the point I could putt around in the neighborhood at 1500 rpm without all the shaking and drama.  Before whenever riding and slowing before a stop, as soon as the rpm's dropped below 2000 the bike would stumble and buck.  Now it  runs smoothly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
someday i'll have a CVO...

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 10:57:02 AM »

also the bolts that tighten the windscreen on are prone to pull out The insert part pulls out and you can tighten bolts but it doesnt pull clam shell together tightly. They sell a repair kit of course. This happened on my 05 too :bananarock:

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »

Thanks for all the replies/ideas.  Sounds like a bracket thing.  Bike has been tuned and runs well throughout the RPM range.  Windshield insert were put in years ago so that's been fixed.  Only logical thing left are the brackets.  Looked at the Alloy Art brackets and some of the reviews note issues with the install.  Unless somebody here has first hand experience (good) with them I'll probably just get the upgraded HD ones.  About $100 a set online.

Thanks.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »

Good luck and keep us posted. Vibrations can be very difficult to isolate and extremely annoying.

The good news is most of your riding is probably well above the 2k range.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 05:09:01 PM »

Just to be sure I am ordering the correct (latest) brackets, I have part numbers 58478-96B and 58479-96B.  Hoping someone here can confirm as my local dealer can't..........

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.