Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Sta Bo bushings  (Read 58543 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Sta Bo bushings
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:33:02 PM »

Has anyone used the Sta Bo swingarm bushings? If so, how do you like them?

Along those same lines I remember a thread on front motor mounts. It had something to do with the newer mounts were better than the older mounts, or close. What is the better front bushing to use?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Sta Bo bushings
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:51:57 PM »

Has anyone used the Sta Bo swingarm bushings? If so, how do you like them?

Along those same lines I remember a thread on front motor mounts. It had something to do with the newer mounts were better than the older mounts, or close. What is the better front bushing to use?

No experience with the swingarm bushings you mention.  There were many complaints about the new motor mounts though. 

The "old" motor mounts have occasionally broken.  Several have had this happen.  Some repetitively.  I broke a front one once.  It happened before the new "A" revision came out.

The revised front motor mount was complained about by many for being too stiff/hard.  It apparently transmitted a LOT of vibration back through the bike.

Seem to remember reading of a revision to the revision also.  A "B" part number.  Don't remember any great lot of discussion about that part though.  In the context of "no news is good news" perhaps that means it solved the problems.

There is at least one very good aftermarket alternative though.  Check out "Velva" motor mounts.  They offer stabilizers too if you want to change it all.  For many years they have  been perceived as about the best option out there.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »

Are the "Velva" motor mounts replacement mounts or an add on like the stabilizer kits out there?

I'm after upgraded mounts for the motor and swing arm.

EDIT: found the Velva ride front motor mount.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:00:07 PM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 09:00:58 PM »

Are the "Velva" motor mounts replacement mounts or an add on like the stabilizer kits out there?

I'm after upgraded mounts for the motor and swing arm.

The Velva mounts are a replacement for the original mounts and stabilizer arms.  Not an add-on to the OE system but an improving bolt-in direct replacement for it.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »

That is what I'm going to use for my front mount. :2vrolijk_21:

Just need a discount source for the Sta Bo rear bushings. ::)
2023 CVO Road Glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »

I use the Velva mounts and stabilizer on my Pro Street, which is like the FXR, which is like the FLH/FLT. They are fantastic! I'll be replacing the stock ones on the SERK with them by 20k miles probably. Much better quality than the stock crap. That's been my experience anyway. ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »

Don, I seem to remember an issue about interference with the oil cooler on the SEEGs/SEUCs.  Did you have any issues with your installation?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 09:23:13 PM »

That is what I'm going to use for my front mount. :2vrolijk_21:

Just need a discount source for the Sta Bo rear bushings. ::)

When looking at the Velva mounts at least take a look at their stabilizer links too.  I always thought they were more of an improvement over stock than was the front mount.  The front link will be in your way anyway when doing the front mount.  Upper one means moving the gas tank.  But even that's a simple enough chore if one were so inclinded.

The sta-bo bushings you mentioned were new information to me.  Did not find any quickly digestable bits of good info on them but there are some threads on chat boards discussing them if one wanted to wade through.  There is very limited information at the mftr's website but, for what little it is, that can be seen here:  http://sta-bo.com

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »

I'm finishing up a wide tire kit on a Ultra Bagger and after having the swing arm off of the bike I realized there isn't much holding all of this in place thus the Sta Bo thought.  ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »

I'm finishing up a wide tire kit on a Ultra Bagger and after having the swing arm off of the bike I realized there isn't much holding all of this in place thus the Sta Bo thought.  ;)

Anything that's as easy to change as swingarm bushines and also tightens up the ass end of these things will certainly catch my interest too.  Will do the appropriate homework on these things.  Then if they're all they seem to be cracked up to be will have a set waiting for when the next back tire gets changed.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 10:34:31 PM »

A good thread to read on the Sta Bo. I guess I'll inquire about dealer pricing tomorrow. http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74006
2023 CVO Road Glide

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »

A good thread to read on the Sta Bo. I guess I'll inquire about dealer pricing tomorrow. http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74006

Interesting...and seems to address the problem where it occurs rather than an add-on device.  Having not had the rear end of the bike apart, how difficult would these be to install, if you already had the rear wheels off anyway?  Seems like a simple solution, and inexpensive as well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 02:39:31 PM »

Interesting...and seems to address the problem where it occurs rather than an add-on device.  Having not had the rear end of the bike apart, how difficult would these be to install, if you already had the rear wheels off anyway?  Seems like a simple solution, and inexpensive as well.

I really didn't get that much effective or informing information out of that thread Terry.  Was mostly people discussing the various options to include True Track and Ride Str8.  Three or four actually put on the part but it seemed all but one of them was commited to the idea that it would be a good idea and have a positive benefit even before they put the parts on.  All in all an interesting thread.  I'm just not sure we really learned anything from it.  It had a pleasant aroma; but there wasn't a lot of meat there.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 03:07:43 PM »

I really didn't get that much effective or informing information out of that thread Terry.  Was mostly people discussing the various options to include True Track and Ride Str8.  Three or four actually put on the part but it seemed all but one of them was commited to the idea that it would be a good idea and have a positive benefit even before they put the parts on.  All in all an interesting thread.  I'm just not sure we really learned anything from it.  It had a pleasant aroma; but there wasn't a lot of meat there.

Yea, Don...I've read a bunch of stuff on different forums about both the ridestr8, true-track, etc, and a lot of it is inconsistant, as was the thread on this product.  No doubt, it is sound engineering (the add-on products), and a well made product...and it certainly would not hurt a thing in the world to add it.

Honestly, I think the POS shocks that come on the bikes cause more issues than anything...but that's just my opinion.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »

Yea, Don...I've read a bunch of stuff on different forums about both the ridestr8, true-track, etc, and a lot of it is inconsistant, as was the thread on this product.  No doubt, it is sound engineering (the add-on products), and a well made product...and it certainly would not hurt a thing in the world to add it.

Honestly, I think the POS shocks that come on the bikes cause more issues than anything...but that's just my opinion.

Too true.  Going to the Progressive and dumping the Showas was a night and day difference on the red bike way back when.  It was terribly surprising how much of an improvement could be had so quickly and easily and, conversely, how much of a handicapping compromise you suddenly realized Harley was willing to send us out the door with.

My biggest (initial and as yet uninformed) concern about the Sta-bo parts was the nearly universal reports of considerably more powertrain and road vibration transmitted back through the frame to the rider and the bike's systems.  Granted, they all said it seemed to abate over 1500 miles or so.  But in that much time you're rear end would be well in getting used to it too.  I don't want all the bike's systems and connections (and me) shaking a lot more than normal.  It's just something that needs some more homework before I'd proceed to installation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.