Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pro Action Shocks  (Read 3983 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Pro Action Shocks
« on: September 28, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »

http://street.pro-action.com

I bought some Pro Action shocks and installed their front end parts at same time. Left two weeks later and went to California 6200 mile trip. Half by myself and half fully loaded two up with too much gear. I have nothing to compare to except stock set up (2014 CVO Limited) I have used Progressive front and rear on older bikes and loved it but cant say for the 2010 and up frame it would be the same.

As for stock, had 32k on it and it would dive while braking and the rear was good enough for small bumps, but large ones would bottom out or at least jolt us at the 50 psi recommended. I did have a set with 10 k here after doing a lowering on a friends 2014, they weren't much better.

So for a treat on the trip I began searching. Ohlins were out relatively quick, could not see paying for a rebuild. Called Legends and Pro Action the Monday of Sturgis week. Both called back but Pro Action was first. They were in Rapid City for the week. I am in Pittsburgh about 30 miles from Beaver Falls where they are located. I got an appointment within two days to have front forks rebuilt with their parts. They had left one guy back at shop.

I took forks off bike and paid 100 in labor for the tech to install the parts. Gave up on installing those front springs and figure it was worth the 100. They charged for a set of bushings which I would have not known were worn, but I brought the fork seals. I wanted to watch but was kept out of garage. Shocks were already put together in box for me. They asked some questions for weight and two up time when I called and had them set up and boxed before I got there. The shocks bolted right on and I have not changed a setting. I usually would play with the knobs just to see the difference, but it rides so nice I left it alone.

Biggest difference. No bottom out and smooth feeling. I ride 2 up 80 percent of time. And when traveling far, wife will fly, if its a few highway days to reach Vegas or Reno or Seattle. Even one up it wasn't harsh. Little stiffer but not harsh. The bumps and rr crossings where I used to yell BUMP to warn her, all disappeared. The bike soaks them up and very little is felt in the seat. I did an Iron Butt of 1100 miles one day, I still got sore by end but bumps were not killing me like other trips. Our group will do 800 mile days back to back to reach a destination. And usually Iron Butt one day home from anywhere if girls have flown. So comfort is big. No more bouncing out of seat.

This bike handles better too. Have 117 kit and Klocks Work windshield. 110 mph is solid. Even around bends. Used to feel the front get light at anything over 100 but we rode 90 all day. Speed limits out west are 75 but everybody is moving at 85+.  110 to pass at times. Over 120 several times. Bike feels like a Cadillac at Cruising speeds and glued to road at higher speeds. But the big bumps is biggest difference to me. MInor bumps are not felt at all. I can say stock is a rock compared to this.
Only downside is front stiffer, it doesn't dive on braking anymore but is also stiff.  Worth it.

People described a hinged feeling on a stock set up. I didn't understand this description until this was finished.  Pieces work together now and front and rear feel solid, like they hit the bumps in same manor. The hinged feeling is a mismatch at stock. Front too soft and rear only good in a narrow range of speed and bump size. Pro Action rear handles entire range of small to large bumps, potholes to cracks. Expansion joints aren't felt. Bike feels like a sports car and a Lincoln depending on how your riding.

Now the parts are not cheap but not much more than basic upgrades and better price than several other options. They did me a discount for vet or first responder, plus a cash discount too.
Spent an hour with the office girl talking. She is a sweet heart and wife of owner. Have not met him but tech on site was cool. Showed me the difference in parts, bagged my old parts and springs. I took them home, kept a week and tossed in garbage. They are never going back in.
How I found them, luck. Just Google search and some reading. Never used their stuff before. Office girl gave me the history and how they developed this set up. That for them to tell you.

Wifes review- I didnt say anything. She rode with me to test the old stuff as I made some changes (different shock and also changed oil) When these went on we went down our railroad track road nearby. She said WHY DIDNT WE GET THESE SOONER?  End of review. We both love them and would recommend especially if getting into the 1000 plus range for front and rear upgrades. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:27:33 AM by bakon »
Will

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Pro Action Shocks
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »

Thanks for the excellent review. I concur totally that the Pro Action shocks are top notch . . . and they have a lifetime warranty.  Put them on my 2018 Tri-Glide within first 1k miles.  DK Custom Products worked with them to develop a 14” shock for trikes and it works great. Can be used on a two wheeler also with a 1” lowering block. DK also offers 11", 12" and 13" Pro Action shocks. 

www.dkcustomproducts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:10:53 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Re: Pro Action Shocks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:30:03 PM »

I was researching shocks about a month ago as I was tired of getting my ass and back destroyed on long trips. I had lowered Progressive 944 shocks on at the time. I couldn't even relax while riding because I was always on the lookout for even small bumps. Those Progressives rattled my soul and not in a good way.

I was researching all of the "Big name brand here" companies and someone mentioned ProAction. I ended up buying the front/rear combo and will be installing the front kit in the next few weeks.

I have maybe 2,000 miles on the rear and also couldn't be happier. Riding 25-30k miles a year, I figured it was worth sacrificing the lowered look to get 12" shocks back on. Now, I don't even worry about bumps, and sometimes hit a few on purpose just because I know I can. Everything feels more cohesive and stable while being more forgiving. I made one adjustment to the free bleed after riding for a bit, but they had the preload set perfectly based on the info I gave them.

Soon I will have the fronts installed along with lightweight wheels. These in conjunction with the rears and a new frame stabilizer...…...Needless to say I'm pretty excited. I would highly recommend the ProAction rear shocks. I'm sure I will also love the fronts based on your review.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »

I'll be riding mine over to their shop at some point to have them do the fronts on mine. They're only about 90 minutes from me. A buddy did front and rear on his shark and really loves them.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 05:29:14 AM »

Shop is small but well stocked. I took my front forks off the bike to save some money on the install but happy I paid to have them put the fronts together. I would not have known the bushing was worn. Tell the girl Will said wife loves them and happy breast cancer month  she is a surviver like my wife.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:16:14 PM by bakon »
Will

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 06:26:31 AM »

Shop is small but we'll stocked. I took my fronts off the bike to save some money on the install but happy I paid to have them out the fronts together. I would not have known the bushing was worn. Tell the girl Will said wife loves them and happy breast cancer month  she is a surviver like my wife.
Sure thing  :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »

why did you pick them over the harley upgrade? asking because I am trying to decide what to do myself.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »

Sorry for delay.
Harley stuff ok but everything they make is made for middle of the road rider. Middle height weight and riding.  Lots of aftermarket for motorcycles make a better product but specific to need. Cams and shocks are two top items aftermarket does better. Seats sometimes although the heated Harley hammock is top touring seat imo.
Better question would be why them over progressive or legend.  Local and answered phone. Figured I would try. Plus one HOG member locally bragged about them. Really just got lucky.  Used progressive and Harley shocks before but they don’t compare to Pro Action.

Will

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »

Thanks, I mostly was wondering about the front, I have the ohlins on the back and decided I didnt want to spend $850+ on their fronts. For my 2015, Harley has the cartridge upgrade and with discounts it would be about the same as the pro action front. I wish I had seen Pro Action before I put the ohlins on the back, I like the idea of bearings in the shock mounts as my ohlins are very tight and resist movement around the bolts. Also the cost for the set is very reasonable compared to ohlins.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 02:13:37 PM »

My 2014 had no cartridge stock. So my Pro Action set up for front is similar to stock but beefier. I dont know about the Harley set up although several models do have cartridge and saw their set up in catalog. I would recommend the Pro Action on my experience
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 12:35:55 PM »

Still love them.
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2021, 09:03:36 PM »

Not much riding this year with moving bike to Florida and still in Pittsburgh. Get a few hundred miles but still smooth and ride nice.
Will

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »

why did you pick them over the harley upgrade? asking because I am trying to decide what to do myself.
Already gave Harley money for shocks when I originally purchased the bike.....they gave me inferior shocks and I can't bring myself to reward Harley with more money!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.