Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 892 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Brake Pads
« on: March 29, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »

I've got a 16 CVO Street Glide , Does anyone know what the thickness of a new set of pads are. I'm trying to figure out the pad usage compared to the miles to get an estimated time of replacement. Yes I know of the wear indentations on the pad, but i'm just looking for a mileage I can start looking for replacements without looking at the wear grooves.
Thanks Jonnierock

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »

I think if you monitor it you will find that brake pads are not a mileage wear item. They are a use wear item. Some folks get 30K from pads and some folks get 10K. Guess you could monitor your wear and get an idea but mine, or someone else down the road will not be the same as the guy who uses more engine braking and coasts to a gentle stop.
To many variables here. IMHO.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »

As CVODon said, too many variables to rely on mileage.  Front & rear braking vs front only, 2 up, bike loaded/not loaded & especially riding style.

Best do a visual inspection to determine when to replace.  I take a look at mine monthly & a closer look when doing oil changes.  When they get thin they get changed.  Rotors cost way more than a set of pads.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »

If no one gives you an answer, just take a pocket ruler with you to your local Harley dealership and measure the friction material on a bike on the showroom floor.  Just measure the friction material, not the metal backing.

Wear rates will vary from bike to bike and from rider to rider, and often even from one set of pads to the next.  Harley's minimum friction material thickness spec is .040" (1 mm).  IMHO that is cutting it way too close, my personal absolute minimum thickness is about 3/32" (0.090").  And don't just look at one pad, look at all of them, inner and outer and all three sets.  It's kind of rare for all three sets of pads to wear at the exact same rate.  I think I know what you're trying to do, just schedule to replace them all at X miles with other maintenance.  You can do it that way, but there is no way you can accurately predict how each pad will wear over time so to be safe you would most likely be changing them too often.  Conditions change, the pads themselves change slightly from one to the next, and how you actually ride can change.  IMHO a better idea is to spend a few minutes at every service interval visually checking the pads.  It would also be a great time to do an in-depth tire check, looking closely for damage, cracking, and abnormal tread wear.  But that's just my opinion of course.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:51 AM »

to add to what jerry said, with the linked braking, when you apply your rear brake, it also applies the left front brake as well.  your left front brake pad is going to wear a lot faster than your right front.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

montcwby

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 electric orange 117” 130tq 120hp
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 02:25:34 AM »

I just got into the habit of changing my rear brake pads when I change my rear tire. The caliper is already off and what little pad is left isn’t worth worrying about. Also you will never have a backing plate cut into your rotor that way.
The front pads are much easier to see, so I replace them when they are getting close or before a long trip if it looks like they may not make the whole trip.
I like the EBC Sintered Metallic Pads the best.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 12:45:17 PM »

I just put a new set of Lyndall 7182 Gold + pads on my PM rear caliper. It was only. 020" thick pads new.
They work well so far.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 24 queries.