Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2008 ABS picture  (Read 5951 times)

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
2008 ABS picture
« on: July 14, 2007, 09:10:51 AM »

It doesnt look gigantic here. :drink:
Ridin Legend

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 2008 ABS picture
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »

That's fairly compact there. There are some interesting things that still are kinda scary with it. There are some weird things that go on that they say are normal. Look at this Troubleshooting Chart. Not sure I'm ready for this on a bike! :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31:33 AM »

While that is relatively compact compared to the unit in most cars (and the one in the older police bikes), it is still large enough to require a lot of changes to get it shoehorned in there.  Eliminate the cruise control module, move the fuse boxes and data connector over to the left side where the cruise used to be, and move the ECM up over the battery.  Looks like they needed to go to drive-by-wire so they could eliminate the cruise module and make room for the ABS.

As Howie noted with his chart, there will be a learning curve regarding normal operation of this system, just like there was on cars and trucks.  Not a problem for folks who never had to learn how to modulate brakes manually, but it was a major change for folks like me.  I kept backing off the brake pedal when the system kicked in, and it took a long time for me to force myself to just hold the pedal down and let the ABS do it's thing.  Got a feeling the bike system will be just as big an adjustment.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »

The words no braking in the chart above sounds real good.   Right.  :confused5:
SLASH

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 01:30:51 PM »

The words no braking in the chart above sounds real good.   Right.  :confused5:

Scary, eh?

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 01:51:44 PM »

only when a car pulls out on you and you are on a bad road.  :oops:
SLASH

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 04:58:36 PM »

I could be mistaken, but on the "no brakes" subject, I don't think they are referring to simply a rough road, but rather one which contains sharp peaked ripples, or what I've alway called a "rub-board" road (like old folks used for washing clothes before 'lectricity).  With or without ABS, if you are unfortunate enought to be in this wrong place at the wrong time, you probably aren't going to stop in time no matter what you've got for a braking system.

IMO, this brings another important component into this equation....suspension.  If the wheels are staying in good contact with the road surface at all times, any braking effect is more effective.  If the wheels are hopping all over the road, you ain't gonna stop.  It all works together.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 05:28:21 PM »

I could be mistaken, but on the "no brakes" subject, I don't think they are referring to simply a rough road, but rather one which contains sharp peaked ripples, or what I've alway called a "rub-board" road (like old folks used for washing clothes before 'lectricity).  With or without ABS, if you are unfortunate enought to be in this wrong place at the wrong time, you probably aren't going to stop in time no matter what you've got for a braking system.

IMO, this brings another important component into this equation....suspension.  If the wheels are staying in good contact with the road surface at all times, any braking effect is more effective.  If the wheels are hopping all over the road, you ain't gonna stop.  It all works together.

If you take a advance riding course you will learn how to brake in this problem. Yes abs is great, I just think a advanced trained rider can handle problems like this and do a better job than abs with a problem. I just do not like the brakes taken away from the driver. I wonder how many of the forum has taken a advanced course. I learned so much from the Harley Davidson guys. They really know how to show you techniques for staying upright.
SLASH

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »

If you take a advance riding course you will learn how to brake in this problem. Yes abs is great, I just think a advanced trained rider can handle problems like this and do a better job than abs with a problem. I just do not like the brakes taken away from the driver. I wonder how many of the forum has taken a advanced course. I learned so much from the Harley Davidson guys. They really know how to show you techniques for staying upright.

A better question may be how much of the general public has taken the course. Harley's marketing is not directed towards us old grizzled bikers, but the rubs. Let's face it, that's where the money is. Anything that keeps them upright is a good thing IMHO.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 07:25:35 PM »

A better question may be how much of the general public has taken the course. Harley's marketing is not directed towards us old grizzled bikers, but the rubs. Let's face it, that's where the money is. Anything that keeps them upright is a good thing IMHO.

I am a old grizzled  I hate it when your right :2vrolijk_21:
SLASH

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »

EXACTLY.  Washboard, stutter-bumps, whatever you want to call it, even race bikes with professional riders have a hard time with that.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »

EXACTLY.  Washboard, stutter-bumps, whatever you want to call it, even race bikes with professional riders have a hard time with that.

Jerry
Anything generating some wheel hop had me wondering/worrying about the ABS system.  Haven't felt it on Wings with ABS.  But from what the chart above warns of it seems they're expecting the controlling hydraulics to not manage wheel hop well.  Even the slightest bit of braking is going to momentarily lock up a wheel that's off the ground.  ABS would release that wheel.  So a wheel that would be under some degree of braking if we were controlling the pedal or lever would be potentially completely (albeit momentarily) untethered with an ABs system that needs the warnings placed in the chart above. 

Sounds like they need a bit more experience and some better logic controls.  Yet another reason not to worry with any kind of retrofit notions  :2vrolijk_21: .

2006_CVO_HD

• 2008 FLHTCUSE-3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE-3/White Frost & Silver Mist
    • www.harleydavidsonbikers.com
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 11:59:53 PM »

Interesting......
LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!!!

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 04:30:21 AM »

Check out the harley page 2007 dealer meeting video.I am not impressed with the stopping they show with the vrod there.Its the 3rd video.
Ridin Legend

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 04:34:53 AM »

Check out the harley page 2007 dealer meeting video.I am not impressed with the stopping they show with the vrod there.Its the 3rd video.

I would if I knew where to find it...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.