Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front Fork Thought  (Read 563 times)

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
Front Fork Thought
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

I had a thought the other day and am going to try it and see if there is any noticeable difference but until then I thought I would throw it out as a
thought
The thought consists of since the forks tube system is a sealed system which means there is no fluid being allowed to leak out of the various areas...
Would this also mean its sealed off to air getting in/out as well?
One remark was when I was talking to Traxxion they offer a tool that will help remove all the air in the forks...
So if a tool will help remove air in the forks then would it be safe to say none can get in/out as well????

Years ago HD offered a front end that was air assist...It seemed to be along the same design as the conventional front forks are with the exception
of the large bolt on top and the bolt under the top tree it appeared it was the same...Even so with the newer forks design it should be along the
same theory without the added feature of being able to add air...

Assuming if they are self sealed and no air can get in or out
then when we change out fluids on the front end on the preventative maintenance and choose not to take the forks apart and just drain and dump
the measured amount then would it make a difference as to whether the forks were fully extended when the large nut it wrenched back on
VS.
when the front forks had the entire weight of the bike on it and wrenched on the large nut on top of the tree...

theory here is if the forks were fully extended there would be air trapped inside the tube assy. and would give a different feel
(Kinda like having a air assist front end with out the option of being able to put air in it...)
VS.
Forks compressed with not the volume of air???
VS.
should we trying to achieve the removal of all the air in the cavity of the tube
FFT
paul
Ride safe

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.