Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Selection for Abbrasive Pavements  (Read 534 times)

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
Tire Selection for Abbrasive Pavements
« on: August 25, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »

While I know there are a few of us on here with road conditions that aren't always ideal... I think there's something wrong with the Alaska road system, and parts of Canada, that those of us riding up here are having to swap out tires more often than others.

I really liked the Factory D408/D407 that came with the bike... but in preparation for a ride to Texas and back, I replaced the tires at 8,990 miles.  The rear tire was about to it's wear bars anyway.  The front seemed to have at least another 1,000 remaining.

Getting the Factory replacements was a bit cost prohibitive at the time I was planning the trip.

While the question was still out on the new Commander's... I opted for the Metzeler ME880's for my first replacement set.

Can't say I'm too happy with the Metzelers.

I know Tire choice is mostly a personal preference, but what I'm hoping to get out of this is practical knowledge from those who ride on similar roadways... aggressively or not, and what tires are showing mileages upwards of 10K miles.

Thanks,
Ted

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:24:31 PM by T-Hawk »
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.