Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Wheel balancing with Beads vs Weights  (Read 6070 times)

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
Re: Wheel balancing with Beads vs Weights
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »

Still remain skeptical ...what happens to the contact patch when the tire is spinning at 60 mphisnt that causing the dyna beads to move as that spot comes into contact with the road I have seen high speed tires shown in slow motion where the contact patch at high speed barely reforms its round shape before it hits the road again ...how do dyna beads compensate for a wheel which is not true ???  make me a believer

Ride my SERG, have ran them since I purchased the bike, will never use weights again........
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »

Thanks for the input. I will be going with the beads this time around.  :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »

I've been pleased using dyna-beads for the past few years but must note that some have found that dyna-beads will not balance a wheel/tire combo that is too far out of balance regardless of the amt. used.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

Still remain skeptical ...what happens to the contact patch when the tire is spinning at 60 mphisnt that causing the dyna beads to move as that spot comes into contact with the road I have seen high speed tires shown in slow motion where the contact patch at high speed barely reforms its round shape before it hits the road again ...how do dyna beads compensate for a wheel which is not true ???  make me a believer

Does it really matter how they work, just important that they do work?

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »

Make yourself a believer and give them a try :nixweiss:
Or not.

As far as a wheel that is not true, you are probably correct as dyna beads will most likely not help, but then again neither would wheel weights.
Contact patch?? Isn't there always a contact patch?  Unless we are talking about Fullsac's front wheel.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »

After numerous cupped front & rear Dunlop tires on my 08 SERK I have come up with the following plan.  Never trust a dealer for balancing when they have to use 4 to 6 weights.  I now purchase my tires bring them to a shop and have them installed & balanced with the weights.  After they are balanced & assuming they use 1 to 2 weights I remove them at home & insall the DYNA Beads.  If they need to use 4 to 6 weights and I can't get them to make it balance better I asks for a new pack of weights and replace them using the cleaning advice that Jerry has mentioned numerous times.  The reason I reinstall the weights is to avoid them coming & doing damage.  On one occasion I had a front tire that required nothing to balance, that was my best wearing tire.  What I have learned is you either have a tire that will not balance properly or an installer that cannot balance properly.  No amount of weights or beads can correct a bad tire or a bad balancing job. 

Hope this helps

kevdon

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »

I've been using dyna beads for years on my steer tires on my dump trucks .no problems whatsoever. I have even taken the beads out and reinstalled in new tires when replacing tires. a brand called Equal works just as well.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.