Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much oil should be in trans  (Read 903 times)

how2

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
How much oil should be in trans
« on: July 16, 2019, 08:38:24 PM »

How much oil should be in trans with the bike in the upright position, not on the kickstand and should it be hot or cold?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: How much oil should be in trans
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:58:47 PM »

can't give you a definitive answer without knowing what bike/year you have.  hd has changed the procedure and specs a couple of times, so i can tell you what it would be for my 2019, but that may or may not be valid for your application.

but, i'm pretty sure [/s] that your owners manual will outline the spec and the checking procedure for you.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 08:11:57 AM »

How much oil should be in trans with the bike in the upright position, not on the kickstand and should it be hot or cold?

Just thought I'd offer a suggestion that might help you get answers to your questions on the forum.  Go into your profile and put in the model and year of your current bike so it will show up in all your posts.  When people do that and keep it updated, they are less likely to get a bunch of responses that don't apply to your particular year and model, or responses asking what year and model are you talking about.

Btw, I looked at your earlier posts and it appears you have a 2019 FLHXSE. Is that correct?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »

Your owners manual will have the exact specs for your bike as well as the method for checking the fluids.  The transmission is normally checked cold and on the jiffy stand on a touring model.  As for the amount, it will vary slightly depending on how completely the old oil was drained. If I remember correctly the lubricant change spec is 28 ounces for a drain and refill, and 32 ounces for a completely dry trans (initial fill).  The proper way to fill it is to start with slightly less than the spec (say 24 ounces for instance), then check with the dipstick and add small amounts until the level is between the Add and Full marks on the dipstick.

This is the trans fluid check procedure per the manual:

Check transmission fluid with the motorcycle at ambient temperature. Inspect transmission dipstick O-ring. Replace if necessary.

1.  Park motorcycle on a level surface on jiffy stand.

2. Remove transmission filler plug/dipstick. Wipe dipstick clean.

3. Install filler plug/dipstick until O-ring contacts the case. Do not tighten.

4. Remove filler plug/dipstick. Check lubricant level on dipstick. Proper oil level is between the Add (A) (1) and Full (F) (2) marks.

5. If lubricant level is low, add recommended Harley-Davidson lubricant to bring level to between the A mark and the F marks.

6. Install filler plug/dipstick. Tighten to specification.  Torque: 2.8–8.5 N·m (25–75 in-lbs)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 25 queries.