Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 RGU Tank Badge  (Read 1987 times)

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
2015 RGU Tank Badge
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:17:23 AM »

Well first warranty item on my two month old ride.  Tank badge came off the left side of the tank today in 80 degree temps.  Glue between the metal badge and plastic backing let go.  Probably did not help any that my long legs rub it while riding but it should not come loose just from normal riding.  I suspect it may not have been stuck good originally as I had noticed this emblem had a little higher edge separation off the tank than the other side.

Will dealer replace entire badge or try to jury rig glue the original back on which I do not think is the right way to do it.  How hard a time are they going to have getting the old plastic backing off the tank?
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2015 RGU Tank Badge
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »

Well first warranty item on my two month old ride.  Tank badge came off the left side of the tank today in 80 degree temps.  Glue between the metal badge and plastic backing let go.  Probably did not help any that my long legs rub it while riding but it should not come loose just from normal riding.  I suspect it may not have been stuck good originally as I had noticed this emblem had a little higher edge separation off the tank than the other side.

Will dealer replace entire badge or try to jury rig glue the original back on which I do not think is the right way to do it.  How hard a time are they going to have getting the old plastic backing off the tank?

It was a common issue on earlier models, and the only acceptable repair is to replace the part.  If your dealership tries to reapply the original, tell them no and to call their H-D rep.  It's not hard to remove the adhesive from the tank if they know what they're doing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »

Went by today and they did not give me any issue.  Ordered the badge and said it should be in mid week.  Service person said to hang on to the old badge parts as they will need to turn in for warrantee.  Thanks for the input Jerry.  HD is probably going to spend a $100+ repairing a $10 part. 
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »

This happens constantly on every brand car made. Not just a HD thing, most car brands just replace the adhesive and send you on your way, but HD does replace the emblem. Main reason for emblem replacement is the adhesive is machine cut to mimic the shape of the emblem letters. On a car, and I have done hundreds, you just clean and retape, trim with razor blade and after cleaning the surface just put it back on. Most times the 3M stuff holds better than OE.

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:50:18 AM »

My right side badge was replaced under warranty. The center of it popped lose. No questions, ordered new one. Swap out took only a few minutes. No issues since then.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.