Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seat Successes for Tall Riders  (Read 9120 times)

FlyJS41

Seat Successes for Tall Riders
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:46:24 PM »

Any of my fellow gargantuan riders have a recommendation for a replacement seat on the 2015 CVO RG?  The stock hammock seat is comfy as far as that goes, but the positioning is all wrong with me nearly sitting on the tank.  I'm 6'5, 250lbs and a 37" inseam.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: Seat Successes for Tall Riders
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:38:08 PM »

Switched to a Corbin ( I have a 34 inch inseam). The stock seat is/was more comfortable than the Corbin Dual Tour, but it moved me off of the fuel tank.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »

Corbin is a good choice.  See their Web site or visit them in Hollister, CA.  Another helpful Mod is a repositioned brake lever.  Softbrake and EZ Brake both offer good alternatives.  I went with the EZ Brake.  See here:  Re: 2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

C RYD

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »

As a recommendation for replacing the Stock CVO seat and if you like the "Hammock" comfort-Try going to the dealer and try out a P&A Hammock seat (with or without the heat option). This will put you further back than the CVO hammock seat and offers the same Hammock comfort that many like (that I've talked to- you can't make one seat for EVERYONE).  I also noticed this on the CVO models with the "Hammock" seat they have had on the bikes since 2014 "Rushmore" and was not as satisfied as the earlier (pre Rushmore). In my persnal opinion as I have had in the past Corbins, Mustangs, le Pera and Danny Gray look good but all too firm. (Danny Gray was the WORST!!! OMG!!!!) Since the MoCo came out with the Hammock line-WOW-this is a seat that I can ride!!!!! But for the CVO Hammocks???  WTH???? Try the P&A demos  they are different that the CVO's-why???- see for your self. -Or if the Hammock is just a added feature you may not need and you want further back-try the Tallboy (also a demo seat  offered you can try) I've been impressed by the recent HD seat offerings and they seem to have seats for all choices.

RIDE SAFE!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM »

6'4" and 36" inseam I've rode with Corbin Solo (and touring passenger seat) seat and the EZ-Brake brake pedal on my last three or four bikes. 

However, after not riding for a couple of years due to back problems, I'm now riding a stock seat on a 2013 CVO Ultra Classic and while I did have to get used to the forward position and sitting more upright in the saddle than ever before, I can tell you that I ride nearly pain free.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:44:15 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FlyJS41

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 04:12:58 PM »

Thanks for the input, gents.
So far, I've tried the Rushmore Tallboy.  It's an okay seat, but it sits me down lower.   :soapbox: For the life of me, I can't figure why Harley would move you back 1.75" and then take it away by lowering you two inches.  The 2007 and earlier Tallboy seats are a much better fit, IMHO.
I'll try the P&A Hammock next time I'm at the dealership.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:45:23 PM by FlyJS41 »

FlyJS41

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »

Well, I've checked out the P&A Hammock demo for a few days.  Indeed, it does move you back 1-1.5".  It's certainly an improvement but I wasn't blown away upon first impression.  We'll see how it does with some extended riding.

Does anyone have experience with the Mustang Summit Heated Touring Seat?

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

Guess I'm just borderline needing to move further back at 6'2" with 34" inseam. I find the stock seat and bars better than my prior ultra Limited which had a hammock seat. Do feel I'm just a bit too far forward. Biggest issue is leg room so will eventually do the ez brake.

Greg, did you do an extended pedal or just angled down more?
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

cyberbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 11:07:19 PM »

I have really liked the Badlander seat...had it on my 2012 RGU and now on my 2015 RGU CVO (had to remove the rider backrest mount)...and it positions me well on the bike.

FlyJS41

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »

Well, in case anyone is keeping score, I went with the Mustang Summit Heated Touring seat.  It's not a perfect solution, but it gives me enough room and a solid seating position to get by during the colder 3-4 months here in the mid-south.  For hot weather, it'll be my tried and true police seat.  It ain't pretty, but it can't be beat for us wookie sized riders.

Heritage

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »

If you decide you want to get rid of that tall boy, give me a shout.  I have always struggled with this as well, and I can tell you that getting a taller handle bar and putting floorboard extenders helps tremendously! 

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »

Hey Heritage, where are you located?  I have a Tallboy off my 2011 Limited in the garage I'd like to get rid of or at least let you try it.  For my 6'2" frame it moved me a bit too far back making the handlebars uncomfortable.  I do not have much in it if youre interested we can probably work a price.  Back in 2011 when I bought my Limited I complained about the seating position so much to the dealer he sold me this out of stock at a good price.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

FlyJS41

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 04:07:23 PM »

If you decide you want to get rid of that tall boy, give me a shout.  I have always struggled with this as well, and I can tell you that getting a taller handle bar and putting floorboard extenders helps tremendously!

I borrowed the dealership's demo Rushmore Tallboy.  It's really designed for someone with a long torso.  Long legged like me, it's of limited utility.
I do have the 09A part number Tall Boy.  I used it on my 2009 FLHTCU before I discovered the police air ride seat.  Let me know if you'd like to give it a try.

Heritage

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »

I borrowed the dealership's demo Rushmore Tallboy.  It's really designed for someone with a long torso.  Long legged like me, it's of limited utility.
I do have the 09A part number Tall Boy.  I used it on my 2009 FLHTCU before I discovered the police air ride seat.  Let me know if you'd like to give it a try.
That may be a problem for me as well.  I am long legs and short torso.  Thanks for the input on that!

Heritage

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 08:41:32 PM »

Hey Heritage, where are you located?  I have a Tallboy off my 2011 Limited in the garage I'd like to get rid of or at least let you try it.  For my 6'2" frame it moved me a bit too far back making the handlebars uncomfortable.  I do not have much in it if youre interested we can probably work a price.  Back in 2011 when I bought my Limited I complained about the seating position so much to the dealer he sold me this out of stock at a good price.

Sending you a pm.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.