Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me please  (Read 7316 times)

Big_E

• CVO1: 02 FXDWG3
Help me please
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »

This is not a very happy thread.  On Nov. 17, 2007 I ended up laying my bike down.  :oops:  I was on a poker run to benefit a guy that had cancer and no insurance.  Shortly after the run started i noticed the rear breaks get spongy, and then coming out of a curve the bike in front of me came to a stop quick fast and in a hurry.  I tried for a Little rear brake and nothing.  I tried to straighten up and use a little front brake to avoid the ditch, but i either didn't get straight enough or got a Little happy with the front brake.  end of story she went down.  I'm now ready to put her back together and am looking for some parts.  Does Harley still make the decals?  I need the ones for the front fender, headlight cover, and tank.  Also i want to know if anyone knows if i can get the plate that goes inside the headlight cover?  I would also like to know if repairing a fuel tank is possible,  there are no creases and the dent aren't very deep or big (two of them maybe an inch to an inch and a half).  The other stuff i need I have found on line between Harley and the aftermarket.  I want to put it back together just like she was but not pat the crazy dealership labor.  Last thing has anybody else had these brake problems it went rather quickly with only maybe 5 ins from noticing spongy brakes to no brakes, and i didn't see allot of brake fluid around the caliper or the master cylinder.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Help me please
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:30 AM »

big-e,  sorry to hear about the bike , hope your ok. if you cant fined any leaks my next gess would be caliper over heating, is there any blueing or discoloring on the rotor? good luck.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:52:38 AM »

This is not a very happy thread.  On Nov. 17, 2007 I ended up laying my bike down.  :oops:  I was on a poker run to benefit a guy that had cancer and no insurance.  Shortly after the run started i noticed the rear breaks get spongy, and then coming out of a curve the bike in front of me came to a stop quick fast and in a hurry.  I tried for a Little rear brake and nothing.  I tried to straighten up and use a little front brake to avoid the ditch, but i either didn't get straight enough or got a Little happy with the front brake.  end of story she went down.  I'm now ready to put her back together and am looking for some parts.  Does Harley still make the decals?  I need the ones for the front fender, headlight cover, and tank.  Also i want to know if anyone knows if i can get the plate that goes inside the headlight cover?  I would also like to know if repairing a fuel tank is possible,  there are no creases and the dent aren't very deep or big (two of them maybe an inch to an inch and a half).  The other stuff i need I have found on line between Harley and the aftermarket.  I want to put it back together just like she was but not pat the crazy dealership labor.  Last thing has anybody else had these brake problems it went rather quickly with only maybe 5 ins from noticing spongy brakes to no brakes, and i didn't see allot of brake fluid around the caliper or the master cylinder.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

Glad you are OK. Seems odd you would completely loose the rear, sounds like maybe air in the line? pin hole leak or loose banjo?
Believe it or not I have had luck with gas tank dents using "Dent Wizard" don't know if you have a franchise.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Big_E

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »

Wasn't break overheating i  checked the master cylinder today it was bone dry loss all brake fluid rather quick just cant see any obvious leaks,  am going to refill it and pump the hell out of it to see if i can find the leek.  Thank you for the well wishes I have 10 screws and a plate in my ankle and I just got a release from my doctor to start putting weight on that ankle.   

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »

Does Harley still make the decals?  I need the ones for the front fender, headlight cover, and tank.

I have a feeling that the flame decals (if they are decals--might have been painted) aren't available by themselves.  I think they were either gold or silver leaf.  You'd have to order an entire, pre-painted tank, fender and mini-fairing.  Mega bucks, I'm betting.  Here's the tank from a dealer...$1400.00.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/F-TANK-FXDWG3-BLK-W-GOLD-LEA.htm

But I'm also confident that you could take your parts to a custom painter and they could replicate them on either new parts (if yours are too damaged) or repair yours and re-paint the base color and flames.  The "Harley Davidson" decal may be available from the dealer or elsewhere, like J&P.

I would also like to know if repairing a fuel tank is possible,  there are no creases and the dent aren't very deep or big (two of them maybe an inch to an inch and a half).

I would be fairly certain that a custom bike shop could handle this easily.

Sorry about the wreck but I'm glad you're OK.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:45:40 PM by RedFXR2 »

Larry

• CVO1: 2002 FXDWG-3
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »

Check with your local dealer about a recall on the rear break line. I have a FXDWG3 and it was recalled by HD. Not sure  if the recall included the WG2. Larry

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

Yes the rear brake line was recalled on my 02 CVO Dyna  your dealer or any dealer should be able to pull up that recall notice....  that may be an ace in your pocket ...  they may pay to fix your bike  if you can prove that the cause was rear brake line failure............

Big_E

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »

Hey guys it's been a bit since I've been on, but I wanted to tell everyone thank for the advice.  I did find out that my brake failure was do to the recall and am now having to deal with a lawyer to get everything taken care of.  Bad news is I'm not allowed to put my bike back together until everything is settled.  Once again thanks guys you rock!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »

Hey guys it's been a bit since I've been on, but I wanted to tell everyone thank for the advice.  I did find out that my brake failure was do to the recall and am now having to deal with a lawyer to get everything taken care of.  Bad news is I'm not allowed to put my bike back together until everything is settled.  Once again thanks guys you rock!

Sorry to hear your bike is still down over this.  Let us know the outcome with the recall/brake deal when you get things settled.

Big_E

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »

Just a little update.  Due to the pace that lawyers and the courts move I have missed a whole year of riding, and there is no end in sight.  My poor bike still sits in my shop, with me not "allowed" to mess with it.  The closest I get to a ride is going out and firing it up to keep the battery charged.  As soon as I get a green light to start riding it again I know I will go NUTS.  Till then I guess I will just have to read about yalls rides.

Eric

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »

Eric,

Sorry to hear about the legal delays and hassles! Hope you are completely recovered.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »

Seems nothing comes when the lawyers have to get involved.

In your case unfortunately there isn't another solution, hope that side of it comes out well and you can get back on the road.

Best wishes for a quick solution.

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »

Best to you as you work your way through this.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.