Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring Diagram for Gauges  (Read 3204 times)

HotRodFXR3

• NV

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2005 Fatboy Screamin Eagle
    • CVO3: 2018 Ultra Limited
Wiring Diagram for Gauges
« on: June 20, 2020, 01:38:37 AM »

Does anyone have the manual with a the wiring diagram for the gauges??  I'm switching out my old tach and speedo to an all in one KOSO unit.  The diagram would make my life a little bit easier..Thanks!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Wiring Diagram for Gauges
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »

What are you going to do to fill the extra hole in the dash (or are you changing to some other dash also) if you only run one instrument?

I don't have the schematic but the stock instruments couldn't be simpler.  Speedo is mechanical so the only wires to it are for dash lights.  Those are easy enough to sort.  The tach only has lights and the signal wire for the tachometer function.  So, again, there's not much to find there. 

Things like oil warning and turn signal indicators aren't in the instruments.  Those idiot lights are up on the handlebar clamp.  They are all isolated up there though so if you're eliminating that and bringing the indicators and warning lights in to the new speedo they'll be easy to sort also.

You'll have to either replace the speedo gear drive up on the front wheel with an electronic version to drive a non-mechanical speedo or get one of the other parts that does the same job but mounts against some other rotating surface.  Does your new gauge have a speedo indicator that it suggests or requires?  Whatever that combination is will dictate the wiring for speed indication.

Will be curious as you move ahead here.  Be sure and share as you go.

HotRodFXR3

• NV

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »

What are you going to do to fill the extra hole in the dash (or are you changing to some other dash also) if you only run one instrument?

I don't have the schematic but the stock instruments couldn't be simpler.  Speedo is mechanical so the only wires to it are for dash lights.  Those are easy enough to sort.  The tach only has lights and the signal wire for the tachometer function.  So, again, there's not much to find there. 

Things like oil warning and turn signal indicators aren't in the instruments.  Those idiot lights are up on the handlebar clamp.  They are all isolated up there though so if you're eliminating that and bringing the indicators and warning lights in to the new speedo they'll be easy to sort also.

You'll have to either replace the speedo gear drive up on the front wheel with an electronic version to drive a non-mechanical speedo or get one of the other parts that does the same job but mounts against some other rotating surface.  Does your new gauge have a speedo indicator that it suggests or requires?  Whatever that combination is will dictate the wiring for speed indication.

Will be curious as you move ahead here.  Be sure and share as you go.
The Koso unit I picked fits perfect in the one hole.  As for the tach hole I was either going to get a carbon fiber or make a leather cap.  I could use killer red or some other sort of adhesive to attach it to the console.  All of the indicator lights will be in the Koso unit.  The speedo comes off the trans now ( I have a baker 6 speed in it).

I've been doing a lot with this build..It's been a work in progress an has been changed for years.  But I think I have an idea and a finish line in sight.  Here's a pic as she sits right now...

HotRodFXR3

• NV

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »

I don't know why that pic is so stretched out...

So far what I've done it recently:

14" FXR Division split MX T Bars
Magnum Shielding cables
Dual disk chromed fork tubes
PM Brakes
EBC Rotors front and rear
I found a master cylinder off a CVO on ebay to handle the extra caliper
Race Tech springs in the forks
2" over fork tubes
Ohlins Blackline 14.25 shocks (Motorcycle Metal, howard is a wizard)
9 spoke wheels, chromed

Like I said before this bike has come a long way...Here's a pic of it before I started and how it was for the past 12 years...Back in the day all that I did was:

113 S&S Motor
6 Spd Baker
Chain drive
Thunderheader
PM wheels/brakes

HotRodFXR3

• NV

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 04:19:59 PM »

It would just really help to get the wiring diagram so I can hook up this new gauge system..I found a place online where I can get the manual in PDF format for $20, but wanted to see if anyone knew of the diagram floating around in the ether...

Thanks for your help

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:29:04 PM »

The Koso unit I picked fits perfect in the one hole.  As for the tach hole I was either going to get a carbon fiber or make a leather cap.  I could use killer red or some other sort of adhesive to attach it to the console.  All of the indicator lights will be in the Koso unit.  The speedo comes off the trans now ( I have a baker 6 speed in it).

I've been doing a lot with this build..It's been a work in progress an has been changed for years.  But I think I have an idea and a finish line in sight.  Here's a pic as she sits right now...

Is the speedo off the trans that is currently installed a mechanical adapter or (I'm assuming) an electronic speedo sensor?  If it's the former you're still looking at adding some sort of electronic pickup to signal your new gauge.  If it's the latter the bike is already altered from the stock wiring so the original schematic won't help wiring up the speedo.

All the indicators will be easy to grab to feed your new gauge.  They're all already in a segregated harness that goes to the handlebar clamp.  So that'll be easy.  Sorting what's already been done with the speedo and what you'll then have to do to make that work with the new instrument may be annoying; but it can't be that bad.  There's just not that many ways to make a speedo work in aftermarket Harley parts.

I can't think of any FXR dash that was just a one hole dash.  Even the RT and RD bikes that had instruments in their fairings still had dashes with two holes in them.  Only one was for an instrument but there was still two holes.  What about a clock?  Wonder if there are 4" diameter clocks out there that could match the instrument faces?  Who knows......  In any case it looks like a very cool project.  Please share more as it moves forward.

HotRodFXR3

• NV

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 04:45:59 PM »

Is the speedo off the trans that is currently installed a mechanical adapter or (I'm assuming) an electronic speedo sensor?  If it's the former you're still looking at adding some sort of electronic pickup to signal your new gauge.  If it's the latter the bike is already altered from the stock wiring so the original schematic won't help wiring up the speedo.

All the indicators will be easy to grab to feed your new gauge.  They're all already in a segregated harness that goes to the handlebar clamp.  So that'll be easy.  Sorting what's already been done with the speedo and what you'll then have to do to make that work with the new instrument may be annoying; but it can't be that bad.  There's just not that many ways to make a speedo work in aftermarket Harley parts.

I can't think of any FXR dash that was just a one hole dash.  Even the RT and RD bikes that had instruments in their fairings still had dashes with two holes in them.  Only one was for an instrument but there was still two holes.  What about a clock?  Wonder if there are 4" diameter clocks out there that could match the instrument faces?  Who knows......  In any case it looks like a very cool project.  Please share more as it moves forward.
I got the speedo sensor from Koso as well..They had a unit that works with stock Harley gauges..I think the speed is measured magnetically.  Other than that everything else was stock until I got my greasy fingers in there.  We pretty much figured out what was going on last time I was there, I was just wondering if anyone that had a manual could snap a pic and post it for me.

As for the second hole, I had wondered what I was gonna do for the longest time until I got the idea to just make a cap out of carbon fiber or leather that would be backed by a stiffener..I could make a sweet leather cap that buts up the gauge and covers and contours the console...Or I could just leather wrap the whole console..who knows! 

I also have a Connely's T-Sport fairing that will finish it off...and a JW Speaker headlight..This bike has been a headache and a pleasure since 2008.  I just hope I finally have everything dialed in and working together..Forgot to mention that I have the Baker 9 plate street performance clutch with different teeth rations..24 comp and 37 clutch..I love this bike, should've sold it years ago, but kept dumping money into it.  Now it's irreplaceable and I'll want it buried with me.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 05:05:41 PM »

It took you asking twice to make me remember an old Clymer manual I've got that might have a schematic.  Sure enough....  :2vrolijk_21:

The first image is a two page schematic.  The next two will each be one of those two pages zoomed in a bit to hopefully make it easier to work with.  The images posted here will have to be resized so the site will accept them.  Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the original images also so you can blow them to see better.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 05:06:03 PM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 22 queries.