Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone have a Sportster Superlow in the family?  (Read 1243 times)

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
Anyone have a Sportster Superlow in the family?
« on: March 14, 2021, 05:37:24 PM »

Now that I’m back on two wheels, Mrs Warhawk wants another bike.  She’s an experienced rider, but also a tiny one.  5’ tall and 110 pounds.  Her last bike was a Softail Deluxe, now she wants something lighter and easier to manage.  The Sportster Superlow looks really good, but they didn’t exist when we bought her Deluxe and I’ve never seen one up close.

I’ll have to find a used one. leaning toward the cheaper 883, but the closest one is 4 hours away.  A dealer 1 1/2 hours away has the 1200 version, the 1200T.

Anyone have any experience with these and a very small rider?

Thanks

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Anyone have a Sportster Superlow in the family?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 10:31:07 AM »

When we were looking for a Sporty for mu Wife...we found the 1200 was actually 1kg lighter than the 883
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »

Have you considered a Dyna?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »

Funny my other half has a Sporty 48 (1200) and wants a 2020 Deluxe in white for long rides!  She rode the 400 miles to Baja on her 48.  My other half is around your woman's size and this was her first bike.  12K miles now.  I backed the shock springs all the way up and she could touch flat footed and knee bent in boots.  Later I built her a custom seat which is lower and narrower in the front which helps.  we might put lower shocks in the back to help fine tune the suspension.  We work around the small tank with a fuel bottle on the side bag and for longer trips I carry a 1 gal angled plastic can in my bag for emergencies.  Works for us, a great bike that she will never sell!  Here's a pic from a Baja run...
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

J Meadows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ID

• CVO1: 2019 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 06:57:56 PM »

2019 Harley Davidson XL883L
$ 8,200

2019 XL883L Sportster Super Low
Wicked Red / Barracuda Silver
Only 66 Miles on it
Factory Security System & ABS Brakes
Harley Quick Release Windshield
Harley Engine Guards
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:02:20 PM by J Meadows »
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel / Lightning Silver
2014 FLHX Dayton Blue
1988 FXST-C Blue & Silver
1985 BMW K1000
1975 Kawasaki Z1
1972 Kawasaki H2A
1972 Harley Baja
1972 Harley Rapito
1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler
1965 Honda S90
1963 Honda 55 Trail

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 10:50:42 PM »

When we were looking for a Sporty for mu Wife...we found the 1200 was actually 1kg lighter than the 883

It's gotta be all that metal bored out of the jigs to make it a 1200  ;D

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 10:52:46 PM »

Have you considered a Dyna?

We have, her last bike was a Softail Deluxe.  She put a bit over 30K miles on it.  But she wants something smaller and lighter.  Our days of long cross country rides are probably over.  We live in great riding country, Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas, and plan to enjoy riding the country roads.

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 10:59:53 PM »

Funny my other half has a Sporty 48 (1200) and wants a 2020 Deluxe in white for long rides!  She rode the 400 miles to Baja on her 48.  My other half is around your woman's size and this was her first bike.  12K miles now.  I backed the shock springs all the way up and she could touch flat footed and knee bent in boots.  Later I built her a custom seat which is lower and narrower in the front which helps.  we might put lower shocks in the back to help fine tune the suspension.  We work around the small tank with a fuel bottle on the side bag and for longer trips I carry a 1 gal angled plastic can in my bag for emergencies.  Works for us, a great bike that she will never sell!  Here's a pic from a Baja run...

Cheri started riding shortly after we met in '99. She was just shy of 50. I bought her a little Suzuki 250 and we spent a lot of nights in the parking lot an Atwoods so she could learn to ride.  She had that one for one season then bought a Kawasaki 800.  I had to do all kinds of mods on that one.  Lowered the suspension, a Corbin seat, narrowed the bars, added a windhshield and bags, etc etc.  If anyone ever tells you a Jap bike is more reliable than a Harley, send em my way.  That Kawasaki was a PITA 

Her Deluxe was an '05, bought it new.  The only thing I had to do to make it fit her was a Corbin "close" seat.  Of course I added a windshield and bags as we were doing a lot of long distance riding back then.

I wont' tell her age, but she's drawing social security now.  Hopefully we have a few good years of riding left.

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »

Thursday I took a day off and we drove up to NW Arkansas to look at a Sportster Superlow up there.  Turns out they had just traded for a second one.  She liked the Superlow better than anything else they had, and it’s a BIG dealership.  Unfortunately the weather wasn’t going to allow for a test ride, and they are way too expensive anyway.

I had been doing some online shopping and found this one for a great price.  It’s a 2014 with only 2300 miles on it.  I got it bought and it’s being shipped to us.

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 12:01:37 PM »

We looked at several bikes the other day.  They had just traded for a 48 Special, Cheri really liked the fit and feel of it, but she doesn’t care for the new blacked out style.  And I think the Superlow is just a tiny bit lower seat height, hard to say as I didn’t do any shock adjustments.

And a correction, Cheri informed me that she put over 45K miles on her Deluxe and wishes she could get it back.  I noticed that this dealership we visited, which probably had over 50 used bikes, only had one deluxe. And it had been modified to look like a Heritage, seat windshield, etc.  Harley missed the boat when they discontinued the Deluxe.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 12:04:13 PM by Warhawk »

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »

Harley missed the boat when they discontinued the Deluxe.
Couldn't agree more Harley got rid of the one bike we wanted to add to the stable, now we would have to buy a used one when we are ready.  We really liked that sparkle / pearl White one, looked great with the chrome and 50's style blinkers etc.  Looks like you found a nice bike though for your other half!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 05:12:39 PM »

Couldn't agree more Harley got rid of the one bike we wanted to add to the stable, now we would have to buy a used one when we are ready.  We really liked that sparkle / pearl White one, looked great with the chrome and 50's style blinkers etc.  Looks like you found a nice bike though for your other half!

My Heritage is White & Pewter, lots of Pearl in the paint. You can see it in the gold tint around the tank badge.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.