Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: 18 CVO Boom II Upgrade  (Read 2873 times)

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

18 CVO Boom II Upgrade
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:42:38 AM »

Good morning guys. I called a local shop by me who does bike audio. They have a direct plug & play Rockford Fasgate system to replace the amps/speakers on my bike. $2000 and they do the install. My question is, are you guys familiar with what they'd be putting in it and if it's worth the $$. Or if I would be better off getting different amp/speakers. I'm just bummed you pay this kind of coin for a CVO and the audio is crap. I already replaced the rear saddle bag speakers thinking they were blown, but they just sound that bad, because the new ones were no different. I need to do something with the audio on this bike, but I don't want to splice into a lot of wires and such. I'm pretty mechanical and did replace the audio on my last bike. Just wondering if you guys have some suggestions.  Thx!

ParadigmGuy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: 18 CVO Boom II Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:54:00 AM »

I spent about $1,500 on my JM Audio Stage 5 and did the install myself. It's pretty easy to do, and well worth the sound.

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:57:06 AM »

I spent about $1,500 on my JM Audio Stage 5 and did the install myself. It's pretty easy to do, and well worth the sound.

Nice... Would you possibly be able to shoot me some links to the equipment you bought? Was it all plug-n-play or did you have to splice into harnesses?

ParadigmGuy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 09:14:46 AM »

Nice... Would you possibly be able to shoot me some links to the equipment you bought? Was it all plug-n-play or did you have to splice into harnesses?
I got mine a couple years ago so it was a bit different, but looks like this is the one for your bike.
https://jmcorp.com/JM-STAGE-5-ROKKER%C2%AE-XXR-Custom-800w-4-SpeakerAmplifier-Installation-Kit-for-2014-2021-Harley%C2%AE-CVO-UltraLtd_p_352.html

They typically have sales around big holidays and you can save 10%-25%, so might be worth the wait for you. They also have a military discount if that may apply to you.

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »

I got mine a couple years ago so it was a bit different, but looks like this is the one for your bike.
https://jmcorp.com/JM-STAGE-5-ROKKER%C2%AE-XXR-Custom-800w-4-SpeakerAmplifier-Installation-Kit-for-2014-2021-Harley%C2%AE-CVO-UltraLtd_p_352.html

They typically have sales around big holidays and you can save 10%-25%, so might be worth the wait for you. They also have a military discount if that may apply to you.

Awesome... Thanks so much for the reply. I did find a contact email on their site, so I'll send a couple questions. Excellent point on maybe waiting for a discount period around holidays. For me the biggest things is (obviously sound quality) but plug-n-play really. I really don't want to cut into any harnesses.

ParadigmGuy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:26:47 AM »

Awesome... Thanks so much for the reply. I did find a contact email on their site, so I'll send a couple questions. Excellent point on maybe waiting for a discount period around holidays. For me the biggest things is (obviously sound quality) but plug-n-play really. I really don't want to cut into any harnesses.
I forgot to say that it is complete plug and play in the sense that you don't need to do any splicing. You will need to run a new wiring harness that they provide though. It isn't difficult, just takes some time if you're not familiar with it all.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 01:03:45 PM »

Look at Sinister Sound they have some speakers that are 2ohm and are suppose to sound a lot better. I'm getting some for my 2018 CVO in week or so.. They also have a 4ohm system with amp/ speakers if you want to replace it all. The 2ohm speakers will work with the stock boom system... Just another option..
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 01:17:11 PM »

Look at Sinister Sound they have some speakers that are 2ohm and are suppose to sound a lot better. I'm getting some for my 2018 CVO in week or so.. They also have a 4ohm system with amp/ speakers if you want to replace it all. The 2ohm speakers will work with the stock boom system... Just another option..

Are they kind of like the Rockford Fasgate TMS57 where you only hook up one of the wires coming from the Boom II system?

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 03:45:50 PM »

Are they kind of like the Rockford Fasgate TMS57 where you only hook up one of the wires coming from the Boom II system?

I just installed Sinister Sound fairing speakers in my 2020 Road Glide CVO. Aside from modifying your internal speaker housing for bass porting, they plugged right in with the provided harnesses. The stock 1" tweeters in the corners are not used after installing this system. So you'd go from 3-way speakers to 2-way speakers. I know that seems counterintuitive, but trust me, its still an upgrade.

Sinister Sound at the moment does not sell a 2 ohm saddlebag speaker option. They said they are probably still a year out from those. The second they are available, I will be ordering. Their fairing speakers were a nice improvement even using the stock amp. You really tell the difference at higher volumes as the instruments don't get muddled together. The nice thing is these speakers can handle higher wattage so if you ever did want to upgrade your amp, they can stay put.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 03:57:41 PM »

I just installed Sinister Sound fairing speakers in my 2020 Road Glide CVO. Aside from modifying your internal speaker housing for bass porting, they plugged right in with the provided harnesses. The stock 1" tweeters in the corners are not used after installing this system. So you'd go from 3-way speakers to 2-way speakers. I know that seems counterintuitive, but trust me, its still an upgrade.

Sinister Sound at the moment does not sell a 2 ohm saddlebag speaker option. They said they are probably still a year out from those. The second they are available, I will be ordering. Their fairing speakers were a nice improvement even using the stock amp. You really tell the difference at higher volumes as the instruments don't get muddled together. The nice thing is these speakers can handle higher wattage so if you ever did want to upgrade your amp, they can stay put.

Ya, I think I might look into that. So this is what I've looked into so far. I can have a local company do a complete Rockford Fasgate Amp/Speaker upgrade... $2000. I contacted J&M, their system Amp/Speaker upgrade is $3000. I also contacted Biketronics. They have two options and they range from $1700 - $2400. Both the J&M and Biketronics I'd have to install myself. They said they are both plug-n-play.  $2000 is kind of pushing what I'd want to spend on a system. $3000 the J&M system i'm not even going to touch. I'd just like something that makes my currently setup sound "better". The bass is flat. I can't even Fade the Boom II to the center or all you hear is duff duff duff from the rear saddle bags. I replaced the Boom II saddle bag speakers thinking they were blown, but they are not. I'm going to return the ones I just put in.

If I could hear the RF system the local shop installs, I'd be up for that. That is $2000 installed... Oh, the J&M system, I'd have to take my HU out and send to them to flash. The Biketronics system they send you a unit out so you can do it yourself $200 deposit returned to you once the unit is returned to them.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »

Good morning guys. I called a local shop by me who does bike audio. They have a direct plug & play Rockford Fasgate system to replace the amps/speakers on my bike. $2000 and they do the install. My question is, are you guys familiar with what they'd be putting in it and if it's worth the $$. Or if I would be better off getting different amp/speakers. I'm just bummed you pay this kind of coin for a CVO and the audio is crap. I already replaced the rear saddle bag speakers thinking they were blown, but they just sound that bad, because the new ones were no different. I need to do something with the audio on this bike, but I don't want to splice into a lot of wires and such. I'm pretty mechanical and did replace the audio on my last bike. Just wondering if you guys have some suggestions.  Thx!

Congrat's on your new bike.... I have the 18 CVO Road Glide with Boom II and I have found that if you don't overdrive the system (which is really easy to do) it really isn't that awful, but it's VERY easy to do, so be mindful of your settings. Keep your bass and treble as flat as possible, turning them up will only cause distortion. The same with your Automatic Volume Control, turn it OFF! And plug your audio source (thumb drive, iPod, phone etc.) in to your usb plug for the best audio clarity as opposed to using Bluetooth.
Now with that said, as soon as someone comes out with a quality speaker replacement for this system I will be right there with you, but in the meantime see how this works out.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »

Congrat's on your new bike.... I have the 18 CVO Road Glide with Boom II and I have found that if you don't overdrive the system (which is really easy to do) it really isn't that awful, but it's VERY easy to do, so be mindful of your settings. Keep your bass and treble as flat as possible, turning them up will only cause distortion. The same with your Automatic Volume Control, turn it OFF! And plug your audio source (thumb drive, iPod, phone etc.) in to your usb plug for the best audio clarity as opposed to using Bluetooth.
Now with that said, as soon as someone comes out with a quality speaker replacement for this system I will be right there with you, but in the meantime see how this works out.

Hey rayson... So I was playing with the treble & bass and right now have them at mid level. I have the fade a bit toward the front. I do have the speed control volume on... I'll try to turn that completely off. I do use bluetooth though as that  is the best way to connect my phone. The little cubby isn't big enough to even  fit my phone in it and close the door. I could try a ride though with the door open and phone connected and see if it's different. Thanks for the replies..  I'll give it a try... yep, nobody makes a direct replacement. $3000 to replace the system is just more then I'm willing to spend

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 10:40:13 PM »

And just wait till you look into the faaaar superior GTS head unit for $1600 plus like I did!!  :bananarock:
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 09:20:27 PM »

if your going to spend 2k on audio go with SOUNDZ, Inc. .... you will NOT be sorry!!  it was a big pill to swallow but worth every penny
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 06:23:42 AM »

if your going to spend 2k on audio go with SOUNDZ, Inc. .... you will NOT be sorry!!  it was a big pill to swallow but worth every penny

Thx, I'll check them out.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 07:25:26 AM »

I have heard this from several people.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »

Well I did check into SOUNDZ. You most certainly can not get a system from them for $2k. I got a quote and it was just over $3200. That was until I got an email that they raised their prices last night due to costs and material of making their systems. Now that same system is just over $3500. I did talk to Bill the owner. He said you could put their very base system in the bike for just over $2k, but he said it wouldn't really be worth it. Seems the cost due to supply shortages is effecting everything. Not sure what I'm going to do. I wasn't looking at dumping $3500 into amps/speakers.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 12:15:52 AM »

Well I did check into SOUNDZ. You most certainly can not get a system from them for $2k. I got a quote and it was just over $3200. That was until I got an email that they raised their prices last night due to costs and material of making their systems. Now that same system is just over $3500. I did talk to Bill the owner. He said you could put their very base system in the bike for just over $2k, but he said it wouldn't really be worth it. Seems the cost due to supply shortages is effecting everything. Not sure what I'm going to do. I wasn't looking at dumping $3500 into amps/speakers.
wow! didnt see that coming... bought mine a couple of years ago,  2300.00

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 06:30:30 AM »

Ya, if I could get a good upgraded system for around $2000 (for amps/speakers) that would be worth it, I'd do that. But $3500 and it doesn't even include a new HU, just amps/speakers. I don't know. The RF system is $2000 and everyone says don't even bother. I am waiting for a quote from American HardBags

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 08:32:22 AM »

. I'm a big Soundz guy as well. They have several options.  Great stuff.  I have 2 bikes with their systems.  Very happy.  Stuart 👌

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 08:34:24 AM »

The owner at soundz is Pete.  I would call him.  They are located now in Daytona. 

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 08:37:06 AM »

. I'm a big Soundz guy as well. They have several options.  Great stuff.  I have 2 bikes with their systems.  Very happy.  Stuart 👌

It by far seems to be the highest recommend system. I'm not going to rule it out, but I'm going to exhaust all options. It's $3500 for the Carbon and $3100 for the Iron...

You guys that did upgrade a 6 speaker system like mine, did you keep the 5.7's or did you upgrade to 6x9's? I do want to retain storage as the wife and I do still tour. I need the storage. Some guys say that the 5x7's even if upgraded are not going to perform because they won't give you the bass.

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »

The owner at soundz is Pete.  I would call him.  They are located now in Daytona.

Gotcha. I thought I talked to the owner... Bill "Gorilla"... I probably just thought that, as that is the contact on their site.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 08:41:41 AM by jamala00 »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »

On my mako. I went with carbons in the fairing.  5x7 iron in the bags.    I was OK with it. I didn't want to give up more space.   The bass is still very good.   Their 5x7s still take up more room than the stock junk.  Just saying.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »

Gotcha. I thought I talked to the owner... Bill "Gorilla"... I probably just thought that, as that is the contact on their site.

I know Pete for many years.  I would still give him a call.   

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2021, 08:44:22 AM »

On my mako. I went with carbons in the fairing.  5x7 iron in the bags.    I was OK with it. I didn't want to give up more space.   The bass is still very good.   Their 5x7s still take up more room than the stock junk.  Just saying.

That's good to know. When I look at the Saddlebag lids, there is the plastic cage behind the speaker. It doesn't look  like there is much room in there for much else. Does that need to be cut out I'd assume?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2021, 08:46:04 AM »

Mention my name to Pete.  He knows me very well. Might help some.  Stuart

Chucker57

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2021, 08:10:22 PM »

SoundZ all the way. 6 speaker, Carbon setup on my bike. Couldn't be happier. Harley has a lot to learn when it comes to audio.

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2021, 08:18:01 PM »

SoundZ all the way. 6 speaker, Carbon setup on my bike. Couldn't be happier. Harley has a lot to learn when it comes to audio.

Did you install it yourself? Did you keep 5x7's in the rears and did you have to cut the plastic cage out to fit the speaker? If you don't mind me asking when  did you do it and how much did it cost you. For a 6 speaker system for my street glide installed they are quoting me $3500

ParadigmGuy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »

Where are the six? Two in fairing, two on the tour pack, and two in the bags?

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2021, 08:29:14 PM »

Where are the six? Two in fairing, two on the tour pack, and two in the bags?

Mine are 2 in the fairing, 2 in the front lowers, 2 in the rear saddlebags

ParadigmGuy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2021, 09:00:54 PM »

Mine are 2 in the fairing, 2 in the front lowers, 2 in the rear saddlebags
Ah, OK. I can't go that route, I need my storage on the bags.

Chucker57

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »

Had them install, 2 in fairing, 2 in lowers, 2 in bags. they cut the basket cage in the bags. Went with the 5X7's.  Cost was $3400.00. Also got the DSR.

Chucker57

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 12:38:28 PM »

Also had them install because you get the 3 year warranty. I have installed systems on many previous bikes. It very simple with SoundZ all plug and play. Be ready they are coming out with A Titanium series in the fall.

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 09:05:01 PM »

Had them install, 2 in fairing, 2 in lowers, 2 in bags. they cut the basket cage in the bags. Went with the 5X7's.  Cost was $3400.00. Also got the DSR.

Pretty much what they quoted me for 6 speaker system. Well worth the $3400 or would you do something different if you did it over? $3400 is a lot of money to have buyers remorse.

Chucker57

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »

I would say well worth it. I follow a lot of bike audio sites. You could get a system for less or more. But there are so many different opinions on what's good. Seems like they're doing a lot of experimenting and modifications to their bikes. They are doing lot's with subwoofers and high wattage. Which are great for the parking lot's and competition, but you won't hear sub's at highway speeds. What is very important is tuning the DSP. The SoundZ DSP is tune correctly. I can hear my system clear at 100 plus mph. Also the SoundZ system is built for Harley's, total plug and play. System is waterproof, looks stock, no major modifications or lost of bag storage. I have to say it would be fun to build a competition audio bike.   

jamala00

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »

I would say well worth it. I follow a lot of bike audio sites. You could get a system for less or more. But there are so many different opinions on what's good. Seems like they're doing a lot of experimenting and modifications to their bikes. They are doing lot's with subwoofers and high wattage. Which are great for the parking lot's and competition, but you won't hear sub's at highway speeds. What is very important is tuning the DSP. The SoundZ DSP is tune correctly. I can hear my system clear at 100 plus mph. Also the SoundZ system is built for Harley's, total plug and play. System is waterproof, looks stock, no major modifications or lost of bag storage. I have to say it would be fun to build a competition audio bike.

thx for the feedback. I think I'm going to take my bike into the Soundz install guy up the road from me. Not sure on when, but this will be the route I go. I agree, there is definitely a lot of opinions, but most of  them are for the equipment to buy. Nothing really telling you how to hook it all up tune it.. etc. I do not want to splice into any wires or connectors, etc. I want a CLEAN install, don't want to lose storage and be able to put it back to stock if I sell the bike. Soundz fits all the bills.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:38:28 PM by jamala00 »

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 08:13:07 PM »

..... have to add this... my bike is an RGU, so i only have 4 speakers. two in fairing and two on the tour pac. that is the reason for the lower cost  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 21 queries.