Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble?  (Read 23066 times)

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
Re: High Speed Wobble?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 08:52:47 PM »

I had absolutely no wobble in a straight line at a registered 120+ mph on the way back from the Dragon on Saturday afternoon, but had some serious doubts about making it through more than one 85 - 95 mph sweeper (that's a turn, there, Hub) during my time in the Valley this past week.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 08:53:52 PM »

103ThunDer,

I talked with a Harley tech today about the wobble problem that we are having.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:55:09 PM by 04hd103 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 09:01:17 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, reo, that's what I say!

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2005, 10:12:10 PM »

Hub, the girls... ALL THREE OF THEM.  Were not prepared to go non-stop with reo and Jack.  It took us a little longer to get back.  I've spent the day trying to re-size pics for posting.  Was great meeting you guys.  Was all that off-topic?  oooops

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 10:35:43 PM »

103ThunDer,

I talked with a Harley tech today about the wobble problem that we are having.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2005, 10:39:20 PM »

try 85 mph over Red Mountain pass, rated one of the 10 most challenging in the world by American Rider.  It is all relative.  I've run my Indian up over 130, only time I had a wobble was low tire pressure or incorrect tension on the neck bearing.  I have to get my seeg broken in, then we can see if you guys know what you are talking about.  I have over 80k on my bagger, and can tell you that they can be set up to handle like a dream.  Don't talk all the tech talk, get your hands dirty and see what makes your ride click.  I am seeing an awful lot of discussion about what "you shop" says, and not alot about your personal expermentation.  I love the part about, "since when was 85 mph high speed?"  Try it on a 35 mph curve, that has a 2000 ft drop if you high side, and it is plenty high speed.  I hope I didn't buy a bike that a bunch of snobs ride, and are hung up about the price of the ride, and forget why we are in the wind in the first place.  Got too many fallen brothers to get caught up in that crap.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2005, 11:03:21 PM »

try 85 mph over Red Mountain pass, rated one of the 10 most challenging in the world by American Rider.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 01:39:31 AM »

Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 06:29:33 AM »

Hi Striker,  I hope to meet you some day in person, you will most assuredly know then that I am not a snob.  It seems you have not formed a nice assessment of the personalities of the folks here, perhaps for you, meeting folks on a forum and not in person does not work well.  I could not wrench anything on my own bike, so must rely on the shop folks.  Sucks, but not a talent I have, but I love my front end wobbling SEEG, and could use to loose the wobble.  So, I listen to what everyone here has to say on this topic.  Now I have had the great fortune of just meeting Mr. Otis here this past weekend, and I will tell you, that he is truly a genius.  He tears his gorgeous, fast bike down into little pieces himself, and anything he says, I will take as gospel.  Of course, you can have your own opinions of those you are chatting here with, but before you attack anyone, I would sit back a bit and listen, there is a lot of knowledge here.  Just My very humble opinion, of course.   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2005, 09:53:53 AM »

Man what a dicussion this has turned out to be. Stryker I will admit you have SOME value in your posting.

The tire pressure and neck bearing tension is what I am talking about. Either one of these can contribute to high speed wobble. There are also other issues that can cause it. I also don't think some of the post on here are correct in that the problems others are looking at might be associated with the wobble.

I have been posting for about a month on this site.  I can tell you that the people on here are genuine. They are not SNOBS. I just met a few of them earlier this week and I have got to say about the most friendly bunch I have ever met.  Stay safe.

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 02:55:36 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2005, 11:53:42 AM »

try 85 mph over Red Mountain pass, rated one of the 10 most challenging in the world by American Rider.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2005, 01:16:20 PM »

Hub, the girls... ALL THREE OF THEM.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2005, 04:40:28 PM »

Hmmm....  I just read through this forum again, due to a real eye opener last night on the northwest expressway...  about 95 or a 100 I developed a lazy wobble. hmmmm... says I, goose it real good and it will go away...  Not!  at a 120/125 the damn thing just lit my arse up and damn near threw me...    Got out of that and readusted my shorts and went home to think about it...    Said to myself " It ain't me, dammit, must be the bike..."  ('cause nuthin is EVER my fault).  Checked the tires, checked the shocks, both looked about where they ought to be, and went back out.  Same road, same speed, no wobble at all, all the way through about 130...   Hmmm...  Ridin' back to the house and said, "self?, where's the tourpak?" (had to take it off to check the shock pressure and never put it back on) hmmm...   went home, put the tourpak back on, and back out to the expressway...    At about 95, I got a  lazy wobble again, hmmm.  (THIS is where the brain pan failed, 'cause I'm thinkin' what a nice place to strectch the bike out a ways, and I goosed it, hard, to see if it wobbled hard again, just in time to have the bike try to turn itself inside out at around 115 while watching the state motor cop trying to get out of my way....  what a dip $#)^!  ( he saw me coming way too fast and pulled up onto the road to, what,  slow me down?) [smiley=oops.gif]

I managed to talk my way out it by telling him every time I got off the gas it got worse, so I kept speeding up to make it go away, but I think he just let me slide cause my knees were knockin', and he thought it was the ride the bike gave me.  (It was flopping hard enough he could see it in his mirrors!)  

There's a couple of lessons for me to learn here,  [smiley=shocked2.gif] but in regards to the wobble...I'm convinced that the wobble thing is because our tourpaks set up a wind buffet where the air comes back together behind the windshield which hits the sides of the tourpak, and then unsettles the front/rear balance of the bike, which in turn increases the wobble due to the shallow fork/neck rake on the dressers, which is trying to correct, but is mechanically unable to do so...  

I have a buddy whose SEEG1 wobbles too, but only when he has a bag loaded up on top of the tourpak, (which gives him even more wind buffeting...)  It all seems to fit in my opinion...
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2005, 04:49:25 PM »

Hmmm....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2005, 05:08:08 PM »

Well, the extra weight/wind drag would go with the theory that Reo surmised on the Castor causing the wobble.  I like the up-draft of the wind on the back-side of the batwing fairing theory also.  It may just be a aerodynamics deal, after all.  You guys know more than me, 'cause you spend more time up there in the top of the blue light  [smiley=policeman.gif]area.   Har! [smiley=angel.gif]  Figger it out  and post it! [smiley=whip.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] .............Spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.