Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Milling for clearance?  (Read 6188 times)

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
Milling for clearance?
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »

I have read about milling the '07 & '08 rocker covers for clearance. Although not part of the recall, dealers are doing this. I have an '07 and I've had the recall done. I never had the ticking sound, and I'm wondering why some bikes need the milling, and others like mine may or may not need it. Should all of these bike have it done?  I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:29:38 AM by Air-Cooled »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Milling heads for clearance?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »

Differences in mass production.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
Re: Milling for clearance?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:34:02 AM »

I considered that, but I don't buy it. I've seen the pics, and these things are precision milled. If it is that close, that some need it and some don't then I would think that all should have it done. Perhaps there is a Harley mechanic here that has worked on these things and can help clarify the situation.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »

I considered that, but I don't buy it. I've seen the pics, and these things are precision milled. If it is that close, that some need it and some don't then I would think that all should have it done. Perhaps there is a Harley mechanic here that has worked on these things and can help clarify the situation.

I agree that it's the design, not the manufacturing process. In the later 110's this was supposedly corrected. '07's & earlier '08's have the issue. Supposedly! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

AZSSE

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:53:58 AM »

I've got an 07 and it clicks since I had the upgrade done. Maybe I'll ask my HD mechanic about it. Thanks.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »

I've got an 07 and it clicks since I had the upgrade done. Maybe I'll ask my HD mechanic about it. Thanks.

They wouldn't normally do it as part of the upgrade. Only if you complain about it. Then they hem and haw and say it's normal, until you complain so much they finally take care of it! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »

For those of us that had the interference, the witness marks indicate just slight contact - enough to create the clatter noise - but slight none the less.  It is likely the tolerance stack of the various components.  Every machined part involved in whether or not there is contact - has a manufacturing tolerance.  The assemblies that result with contact likely have a combination of parts using the extremes of the manufacturing tolerances.  Of course, this would be an engineering error - because even using the extreme of the allowable engineered tolerances, there should be no contact.  It could be that they improperly allowed for heat, or improperly allowed for an assembly tolerance - or they just made a mistake when stacking tolerances.  End result is some assemblies have contact and others don't have contact.  All of the individual parts, if inspected, could measure within tolerance - but the stack of these combined parts are not within tolerance.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »

Is this just a mild ticking sound?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »

One reason for the issue, other than manufacturing tolerances, is the amount of "slop" designed into the mounting holes.  That is why a part that didn't touch originally can now be touching after the dealer removed and reinstalled it.

IMHO, rather than mess around grinding the original I would just get the latest design which has much more clearance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »

I feel stupid now. I should have asked for it when they did my upgrade recall. I don't want to risk them taking it apart now since it's not  ticking.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »

Thanks for posting the pic. Is this a pic of what happens when the contact is made, or is it a pic after the milling?  If it is the former, then this is considerably more than "witness marks" showing "slight contact." If it is the latter, I don't want that guy milling my parts! ;D

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »

Thanks for posting the pic. Is this a pic of what happens when the contact is made, or is it a pic after the milling?  If it is the former, then this is considerably more than "witness marks" showing "slight contact." If it is the latter, I don't want that guy milling my parts! ;D

I looks like some dremel work...  clearance is clearance...   :nixweiss:   

The 'witness' mark is small enough it is easy to overlook unless you are looking specifically for it.  If you search the site, you will find some pictures of witness marks that others have posted.   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

OK, thanks. I searched but didn't find pics. I did find a post that said to check for it, fire up a cold engine and put your hand on the rocker cover to feel it. I did that—no tapping feeling. But when I put my ear within 3 inches of the head, I could hear a faint ticking from the left rear side, rear cylinder. Any farther away, and I can't even detect it (I have stock exhaust system). On any other bike, I would normally attribute that to a normal tappet sound. In fact on some bikes (Guzzis), if you don't hear some tapping, it is said that your tappet-valve clearance is too tight.

I don't want to beat this topic to death, but I'm hoping we'll all be a little clearer as to what constitutes a normal tapping sound vs. abnormal, and whether any tapping sound should warrant a rocker frame upgrade/replacement. After seeing the dremel job above, that is not going to be an option for me. Yes, I know it is functionally fine, but it's a hack-job from an engineering point of view. I would only accept a mod that was done with a jig. That's what Harley sells for reboring cases for larger piston, even though a hand grinder and a file would yield the same functional result.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 07:26:10 PM »

OK, thanks. I searched but didn't find pics. I did find a post that said to check for it, fire up a cold engine and put your hand on the rocker cover to feel it. I did that—no tapping feeling. But when I put my ear within 3 inches of the head, I could hear a faint ticking from the left rear side, rear cylinder. Any farther away, and I can't even detect it (I have stock exhaust system). On any other bike, I would normally attribute that to a normal tappet sound. In fact on some bikes (Guzzis), if you don't hear some tapping, it is said that your tappet-valve clearance is too tight.

I don't want to beat this topic to death, but I'm hoping we'll all be a little clearer as to what constitutes a normal tapping sound vs. abnormal, and whether any tapping sound should warrant a rocker frame upgrade/replacement. After seeing the dremel job above, that is not going to be an option for me. Yes, I know it is functionally fine, but it's a hack-job from an engineering point of view. I would only accept a mod that was done with a jig. That's what Harley sells for reboring cases for larger piston, even though a hand grinder and a file would yield the same functional result.

Check this thread for pictures...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20687.msg330150#msg330150
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.