Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint issues on 2010 flstse  (Read 2089 times)

ambro

• CVO1: 2010 soft tail convertible
    • CVO2: 2011 Flhxse2
Paint issues on 2010 flstse
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »

Has anybody had any problems with the paint on their 2010 flstse? I have an orange&black 2010 that has what seems like small pits comming up threw the paint. It had the same thing when i purchased the bike new. Harley replaced the tank at that time and now after sitting covered in a semi heated garage all winter it seems like its comming back on the replacement tank!Now comes the best part,,,,,,,Harley now wont send a replacement,,,they want me to send them my tank to repaint!!!!!! Harley rep inspected it and told my dealer to order a new tank and harley H.Q. said no,,,send it in. Only 6 to 8 wks right at the start of riding season here!!! Thats what I call costomer service!!!!!!! Spend 30000 dollars on a bike and then let it sit while I make PAYMENTS! Its not even a year old yet. What do you think I should do?

paconico1992

• Senior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015/16/17/18 CVO Street Glides
    • CVO2: 2010 Softtail Convertible
Re: Paint issues on 2010 flstse
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »

Call a custom bike painter and ask them what the problem could be, It sounds to me like they didn't let the paint set up before applying the clearcoat.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:16:29 PM »

I'd ask them to provide their response in written format - suggest you're going to seek legal advice.  Sometimes that works wonders...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

Has anybody had any problems with the paint on their 2010 flstse? I have an orange&black 2010 that has what seems like small pits comming up threw the paint. It had the same thing when i purchased the bike new. Harley replaced the tank at that time and now after sitting covered in a semi heated garage all winter it seems like its comming back on the replacement tank!Now comes the best part,,,,,,,Harley now wont send a replacement,,,they want me to send them my tank to repaint!!!!!! Harley rep inspected it and told my dealer to order a new tank and harley H.Q. said no,,,send it in. Only 6 to 8 wks right at the start of riding season here!!! Thats what I call costomer service!!!!!!! Spend 30000 dollars on a bike and then let it sit while I make PAYMENTS! Its not even a year old yet. What do you think I should do?

You need to contact H-D directly, and ask to speak to either a manager in Customer Service or CVO itself.  If they still try to jerk you around, consult an attorney experienced in warranty law.  Illinois doesn't have a Lemon Law for motorcycles, but I'd still file a complaint with the Attorney General's office anyway.  I seriously doubt an auto company would get away with taking your vehicle out of service for 6 to 8 weeks to fix a defect, and there's no reason why you should have to accept that kind of shoddy treatment with a motorcycle either.

Someone please remind me why anyone would want to buy anything from a company that treats customers like this. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Volski

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »

Could you possibly post some pics of what you are saying that your paint is doing? I've noticed that H-D does a metal grind and clears over it (sometimes tinted or candied over) for one of the effects on a CVO paintjob. In my opinion, it's a terrible idea. If at any time moisture gets trapped under the clear, be it from the hands of the person painting/handling the job, moisture in the air lines, humidity in the area the part(s) are painted in or from the part drawing moisture, there is going to be problems with the finish. Besides, paint/clear will not adhere to bare metal anyway without a chemical to seal the metal(i.e. primers, sealers, ect.). They even put a sticker on the bike telling the particulars of the custom effect used on the bike, only to be removed by the buyer. That is why I don't understand why a manufacturer would produce a vehicle with that kind of finish. It would probably be fine for a custom show bike; something that never sees the weather and is stored in a climate controlled area. If any of my customers ask for that particular effect (bare metal grind), I give them ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE or WARRANTY! How could you without the proper steps needed to prepare and seal the metal for refinishing. But anyway, that's just my "two cents" and I've been custom painting/refinishing for over 25 years.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:46:41 AM by Volski »

ambro

• CVO1: 2010 soft tail convertible
    • CVO2: 2011 Flhxse2
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:03:41 AM »

UPDATE,,,,,,after I raised 10 kinds of hell,,,,,H-D and I came to a deal. Now I dont have to send it right away. They said that I could wait until November to send it in.Not really what I want to do,,,,,but at least I wont be without my bike for a big bite of the summer! Thanks to all replies and to Volski for your phone advice. Gut feeling is that this wont be the end of my paint problems,,,if not ,,Ill be in touch with you at a later date about repainting. Thanks again all !!!!!!           Bob

Smoker1

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

Sorry to hear about your troubles man!
I have a blue 2010 and have had no paint issues whatsoever!

n2mycvo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »

The 2010 CVO was custom painted in Colorado by a very reputable company.  Not only did my husband use them to custom paint his bagger but several of my friends have done so.  Because of the grinding of the metal if your bike has any type of rock chips and is then exposed to the elements you will experience problems.  The grinding looks cool but comes at a cost.  I am glad you were able to reach a compromised with your dealership.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.