Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide  (Read 45208 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Tie down points for trailering 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »

Taking delivery of a 2012 SG this weekend and going to trailer it home on a 3 hour journey.

I plan on tying the front end down using the crash bars and not sure on the rear end, anybody trailered there street glide got some tips?
Do not use the crash bars as they bend! If you are using an enclosed trailer use extra tie downs as you can't see the bike while towing. Make sure the ratcheting mechanisms of the straps will not bang on any surfaces. If the trailer has no wheel chocks, bolt 2 4x4's to the floor along either side of the front wheel to hold it in place. (not the best method, but I've done it in a pinch)

mark

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »

No one could be more picky than me regarding their paint and chrome...here's my setup..

Bike-Pro wheel chock

2 sets of HD straps (4 straps total)

2 sets of soft strap covers (fuzzy covers for straps so they don't saw into paint or chrome).

Put two straps on each handlebar and cinch down, but not gorilla tight

The soft strap will protect any paint and chrome.  Transported this way many times...never a bad trip.  There's really no good place on the rear of a SG to hook any straps.

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »

Here are the Kuryakyn teardrops on my SESG
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

Here are the Kuryakyn teardrops on my SESG
Where do you tie the rear of the bike to stop it from moving side ways.

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »

From the front.
I havent had trouble with the rear moving around. I used to put a strap through the rear tire, or over the seat with a pad between the strap and seat.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 10:37:25 PM »

I simply use 2 soft HD hog ties to the front forks just above where the fender is attached. I then use 2 pull straps around the rear tire. One goes to the left and one to the right frame of the trailer. The rear ties are just there to keep the rear tire from bouncing left and right. I've gone many miles tied like this. Bike's front tire has to be resting tightly in a wheel chock to be secure with this approach.

Agreed, I own a towing company and we've hauled many harleys for road america. We use our enclosed and tie them down like you mentioned for years and never had a problem or a single scratch. Plus the bike rides on it's own suspension. Much better than pulling the shocks down tight.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:05:34 PM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

Been using a Condor chock for 12 years.......never pull my forks down. Soft ties off the bag guards at frame with ratchets pulling to the front. Have trailered 1000's of miles over good and bad roads, never a problem or scratch. I know many won't agree with no front ties, but not compressing forks is important to me.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 01:56:01 PM »

Partial compressing the forks will not hurt anything. Not sure why anyone thinks it would. Just don't pull them  down  to end of travel, leave a little room for them to move. Rear bag guards on the other hand are a very bad idea, regardless of how far you've already gone, or how long you been doing it. Just not safe, you can bend them a strong kick, the only reason you haven't experienced damage is you have not had a bad incident. I pull down on front using a KIWI Indian frt bike mounted bracket (google it) and from frame forwad adjacent to rear foot peg bracket and also use a Condor mount.
The next time you tie to those rear bag guards just think "are these strong enough to hold the bike if bike/trailer were on its side"? and the answer is no, they are not. You are correct in pulling forward, but there are other factors beside just holding it upright going down the road.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

WOW!! You are probably right. I had never looked at it from a worst case.....don''t know why I never thought about a wreck. Will revisit my tiedown methods before next haul. Thanks for an eyeopener!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »

Been using a Condor chock for 12 years.......never pull my forks down. Soft ties off the bag guards at frame with ratchets pulling to the front. Have trailered 1000's of miles over good and bad roads, never a problem or scratch. I know many won't agree with no front ties, but not compressing forks is important to me.

There's really no need to compress the forks, at least on heavier bikes. I've trailered many many miles and I've always used HD hog ties around each front fork where the fender attaches with a front chock. The rear is simply fastened through the wheel on each side to the frame of the trailer. That's it for trailering straps for my CVO Ultra.

For my dirt bikes I also use a chock but I do strap to the handlebars and compress the front forks because these bikes are much lighter. I then use the same tie down approach for the rear tires that I use on my Harley.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »

the only thing i do additional to the wheel chock and tie downs   is  for my convertible  i have a 4x4  block of wood i screwed a thick piece of rubber splash mat like the one you see off semi's
i place the block of wood rubber side facing up under the frame when i tighten the straps it will tighted against  the block of wood your bike is now 1 with your trailer
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »

A few years ago I waved a guy over that was hauling a Wing on an open trailer.....the front tie downs had come un-hooked. He was using a wheel chock and the open style hooks all around and had the rear tire tied to each side of the trailer frame. He said he had to brake extremely hard to avoid a collision. The front suspension had compressed enough under the hard braking that the open hooks had drooped and come un-hooked.

Since then I have been using carribeaners or "add-a-links" screw on links to ensure that this cant happen. 

One of my next purchases will be a new set of tiedowns with "safety" hooks .

http://powertye.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=2
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »

I have a set of the Power Ties and they are more than worth the money.  They come with the soft ties attached so don't have to add any and provide another potential weak spot. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »

A few years ago I waved a guy over that was hauling a Wing on an open trailer.....the front tie downs had come un-hooked. He was using a wheel chock and the open style hooks all around and had the rear tire tied to each side of the trailer frame. He said he had to brake extremely hard to avoid a collision. The front suspension had compressed enough under the hard braking that the open hooks had drooped and come un-hooked.

Since then I have been using carribeaners or "add-a-links" screw on links to ensure that this cant happen. 

One of my next purchases will be a new set of tiedowns with "safety" hooks .

http://powertye.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=2

Another good reason to fasten straps to the front forks at the fender bracket. From this point there will never be any slack due to hard braking since it’s below the point where the shocks compress.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »

Another good reason to fasten straps to the front forks at the fender bracket. From this point there will never be any slack due to hard braking since it’s below the point where the shocks compress.

When I bought my first Harley, this is how the dealership told me to tie down the bike.  They explained to me that if forks could compress if tied somewhere else and the front tire slip.  Also, it prevents over compression of the forks as there is no compression when tied this way.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.