Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air shocks. How well do they hold air?  (Read 5855 times)

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
Air shocks. How well do they hold air?
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »

Are my shocks defective.  Will slowly bleed out air (50psi to 36 psi) within a couple of days time?

Joe

Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Air shocks. How well do they hold air?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »

Never known a pair of OEM air shocks that didn't leak down... are yours defective?? My guess if you were to try to make a warranty claim on them you would be told "that is normal" and that's why "we" sell an air pump so you can inflate them. :nixweiss: You could check all the connections with some soapy water to see if you have any leaks which might be your problem.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »

That's not terrible air loss/pressure change given that the shocks hold a very small amount of air under a relatively high pressure.  By having such a small volume of air, the ambient air temps can also cause some pressure change.  It's pretty easy to check for air leaks at the fill valve and tubing connections...just use some gas leak detector solution (very soapy water) and apply to the connection points to see if air bubbles show up...if all that checks out, then the only thing left to do is take off each shock and submerge it in a bucket of water with the air line attached and see if any bubbles rise from the shock itself.

The HD "Air" shocks leave a LOT to be desired in every respect...they are one of the first things I changed on my bike.  There are 100% better alternatives for rear suspension.  In the long run, you'd be better off to change to a different shock, IMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »

Are my shocks defective.  Will slowly bleed out air (50psi to 36 psi) within a couple of days time?

Joe

Can't say whether H-D would call that defective, but I certainly would.  All I can tell you is that mine never lost more than 5-10 psi over the entire winter storage period, and maybe 5 psi a month max during riding season. 

Often the leaks aren't in the actual shocks, but instead are in the fittings and lines.  Do the test Fired00d mentioned on all the fittings; if you find a leak you can remove the line from the fitting and carefully trim the end of the line with a razor blade (must be a square and clean cut), then reinstall the line and retest.  Don't forget to check the schrader valve also, as those can also leak.  If you find a leak at the valve, tighten the core or replace it, you can buy replacements and the wrench at any auto supply store.

btw, what are you using to check the pressure?  The shocks are a low volume system, so any air lost while you're removing the gauge from the fitting can really affect the reading.  Check the pressure several times in a row and see if you get a noticeable and significant drop each time.  I recommend the hand pump and gauge Harley sells, it has a double seal where it screws onto the schrader valve to reduce pressure loss when you remove the fitting.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »

Can't say whether H-D would call that defective, but I certainly would.  All I can tell you is that mine never lost more than 5-10 psi over the entire winter storage period, and maybe 5 psi a month max during riding season. 

Often the leaks aren't in the actual shocks, but instead are in the fittings and lines.  Do the test Fired00d mentioned on all the fittings; if you find a leak you can remove the line from the fitting and carefully trim the end of the line with a razor blade (must be a square and clean cut), then reinstall the line and retest.  Don't forget to check the schrader valve also, as those can also leak.  If you find a leak at the valve, tighten the core or replace it, you can buy replacements and the wrench at any auto supply store.

btw, what are you using to check the pressure?  The shocks are a low volume system, so any air lost while you're removing the gauge from the fitting can really affect the reading.  Check the pressure several times in a row and see if you get a noticeable and significant drop each time.  I recommend the hand pump and gauge Harley sells, it has a double seal where it screws onto the schrader valve to reduce pressure loss when you remove the fitting.

Jerry

Thanks all for the input.  I am using the Harley pump and guage to fill them up.  Guess now, I need to research the threads on suspension replacements.

:-\

Joe
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

I addressed this same concern when I took mine if for it's 5k service. I was told that MoCo's acceptable loss is 5-7 lbs PER DAY :o
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »

I fixed my air shock leak, replaced them with 13" WORKS Performance shocks, don't have to worry no more. :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »

I addressed this same concern when I took mine if for it's 5k service. I was told that MoCo's acceptable loss is 5-7 lbs PER DAY :o
They probably updated that spec about the time they did the crank runout, lol.   :'(

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »

I have Chromed Progressive 416 that are 12.5" long. They bleed down after a week, A couple of strokes of the hand pump and it OK for an other week. I could have sent them to progressive  but I would be unable to ride it during that time so I live with it. I checked the lines and fitting but it is so small and slow it does not show up. I put a guage up by the handle bar to monitor the pressure. Alot of people mistake it for a oil pressure guage.
Ltank

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »

Jerry

X2  Same here... :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

clegg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG, Black & Orange. 106 stroker, 585 S&S gear driven cams, SE billet cam plate w/ SE oil pump, 52mm S&S throttle body with closed loop VFI system, Vance & Hines 2 into 1. Headwork by Leo Hess at Full Blast Engineering.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »

My 2000 SERG will go all through winter storage without any loss, front or rear. Amazing actually..... (I even let the air out to make sure it was in there because I could not believe it...)
Semper Fidelis

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »

They probably updated that spec about the time they did the crank runout, lol.   :'(
Good one Jerry, I was thinking the same thing :huepfenlol2:

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.