Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio  (Read 84513 times)

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »

Thank you that makes it very clear.  You can contact me at paulsframes@roadrunner.com if you like.

Much appreciated, Framemaker

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2008, 05:01:23 AM »

Wanted to give you an update.  Took the faring apart and removed the radio and the attached xm and cb modules.  Printed all your info and took it to a local electronics repair shop after several discussions with the tech.  Used all new shielded cables, he left me about 3' feet of excess out the back.  Added a 3 way splitter and used electrical tape to make sure the connection was secure.  Rerouted all wires from gps, radar detector, and Ipod.  Used cable ties to keep them from possible harm by the steering head.
The result was amazing,  absolutely no engine noise or interference.  The stereo seperation is the best it has ever been and volume is clearer and louder. 
If anyone can solder well or knows a good electronic tech, I highly recommend the modification.  Clipping the trace works exactly as reccommended and both ports work fine.  However the front stock port is too weak to use for long periods of time and will create static and engine noise. Not sure if you want to attempt to replace it as well.

Thanks, Framemaker

RYANCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 O/B SE ROADGLIDE
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2009, 05:53:20 PM »

has anyone tried this on an 09? is everything the same?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »

has anyone tried this on an 09? is everything the same?

I have not done and 09 but the radio part # is the same as 06 and up models.

olli

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »

TANK;

You will still have to have the radio set to the "aux" setting to hear the GPS. You will not be able to hear it with the radio in any other position (CD/XM/FM etc).
[/quote]

TANK: Are you looking for these features :nervous:? (sorry my poor english :()
For my Ultra 2008 I purchased from Kennedy Tech (www.cellset.com) an Amp Module Kit (www.cellset.com/95436.html) and harness (www.cellset.com/GPSHarnesses.html) to connect my Garmin 2820 into HK system. I paired my cell phone via bluetooth into Garmin. All works good (except a just hearable buzz from Garmin while screen light isn't at minimum). I am able to hear Garmin prompts and take and receive phone calls with the radio in any  position (CD,FM etc) via HD headset. Phonebook is visible in the touch screen of Garmin and I can make and get calls by touching the Garmin.
My fellow have Zumo 550 installed into same kit and there is no buzz at all!
And Garmin bluetooth accepts any cellphone with BT 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2009, 01:51:08 PM »

I have not done and 09 but the radio part # is the same as 06 and up models.

If you strip one of the radio mounting screws out (on the clutch side of the radio opposite the heat sink) can the nutsert be replaced by taking the top cover off?  Is the nutsert available from Harley for the HK radios as they are different than the Radio sound radios?

Thanks Bob

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »

Is the audio cable a standard Radio Shack cable is there a specific one that folks use. I was wondering about the color coded wires to the left and right speakers used in HD-Dudes pix's.

Thanks
    Don S

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:36 AM »

If you strip one of the radio mounting screws out (on the clutch side of the radio opposite the heat sink) can the nutsert be replaced by taking the top cover off?  Is the nutsert available from Harley for the HK radios as they are different than the Radio sound radios?

Thanks Bob

Bob, did you ever make any headway with either info or product for the radio nutsert?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2009, 10:14:07 AM »

Is the audio cable a standard Radio Shack cable is there a specific one that folks use. I was wondering about the color coded wires to the left and right speakers used in HD-Dudes pix's.

Thanks
    Don S

Don;
The wire color is diffferent on different cables. I use a meter to verify which color goes to which segment on the connector.

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »

OK, thanks.

Don S

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »

Bob, did you ever make any headway with either info or product for the radio nutsert?

Just saw this Don.  It ticked me off as I was a dumbarse.  If I ever take the radio out again, I will have to use a hacksaw blade to cut the screw (between the bracket and the radio).  I will remove the  radio lid and see if I can use a locally attained nutsert.  Otherwise, the radio will go back in with 3 screws.  The nutserts were easily replaced for the old Radio Sounds.

Thanks, bob

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »

Just saw this Don.  It ticked me off as I was a dumbarse.  If I ever take the radio out again, I will have to use a hacksaw blade to cut the screw (between the bracket and the radio).  I will remove the  radio lid and see if I can use a locally attained nutsert.  Otherwise, the radio will go back in with 3 screws.  The nutserts were easily replaced for the old Radio Sounds.

Thanks, bob

Ouch, that sucks.  Hopefully the sert spun before the bolt got too tight so you'll have a little wiggle room to get a blade in there once the other three bolts are removed.  Don't remember the mftr's name.  But somewhere before I've had some much thinner than normal sawzall blades.  They don't hold up long.  But for a specific need they're very effective.  Will see if I still have any and if so put something in the mail to you.

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »

Usually you can get the nutsert at a local autobody supply.  The collision industry uses them in repairs since the auto mfrs use them in  a lot of places.

I'd make a few calls to verify.  If you take the cover off the radio, you can hold it from spinning and re-tap it, I had to do that once.  Learned to be very careful after that.

You can try to wedge and twist a small screw driver between the bracket and the nutsert to hold it while you try to remove the bolt, don't mangle the radio case.  lol...   :nixweiss:

Good luck.

Brad

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »

Thanks for the ideas Don and Brad.

Relaxin

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »

I'm new to the forum and to riding a Harley. I am, however, a bit of an adventure seeker and so this mod was a "challenge" I couldn't refuse.  I love my Zumo and I hate loose wires hanging off the dash so I attempted this mod on my 08 105th Anniversary UC. It was extremely easy (with all of the above instructions) up UNTIL.... the cutting of the trace. I didn't have an exacto knife and my eyes are a bit "aged" so I broke out the JUMBO magnifying glass and a razor blade. I just wasn't feeling it so I stopped and thought about it. I decided if I left the trace in tact and used a "dummy plug" in the front then all should be well. So I cut the male end off of a plug, left about 1/4 inch of the rubber on the male insert and coated the cut end with "liquid" electrical tape and let it dry. It works like a champ as far as the radio recognizing "aux" and the Zumo MP3's, directions, etc. are clear as a bell. I would like to get a small rubber washer to fit between the plug and the aux port so it will be water tight and I can just leave the plug in.

NOW, from all the "experts" out there let me know if I'm about to fry something by doing this. I feel like it's OK because the "dummy plug" isn't powered by anything but then again I'm no electronic guru... I have a pic but am not familiar enough with the site to get it to attach. UNLESS it attaches automatically when I post this. I guess I'm truly electronically "challenged"!

Anywho, be safe and keep those ideas coming!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.