Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EVO Carb Problem  (Read 3958 times)

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
EVO Carb Problem
« on: March 02, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a carb issue.  I've got a couple bikes and with my SEEG, My '97 Springer has been a little neglected.  Last fall it just flat out wouldn't run.  Couldn't get it to idle.  This winter I pulled the carb off and went over it real well.  It was a bit gunked up inside.  the price I pay for having a few bikes and wanting to do the work myself, is you pay the price when you get lazy and forget to use fuel stabilizer and winterize properly. 

At any rate, clean the carb good.  Full disassemble.  Replaced the right gaskets and rubber, etc. Put a new enrichner cable on and replaced the VOES for good measure as these are known to go.  .

Now, it idles beautifully ba-boom, ba-boom. Just like old times.  However, that's about all it does.  Won't roll on the throttle at all.  And after removing and going over the whole thing to make sure I got it all back together right, same thing.  And here's the puzzling thing - Nothing comes out of the accelerator pump nozzle - Nothing.  I see gas come from around the neelde which I don't remember before, but I know I should get a mist from the accelerator pump.  When I disassembled, I went over everything to try to find a blockage and couldn't.  Backfires but won't accelerate up. 

I'd sure appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this.  I'd hate to have to take it to the stealer.  I generally figure most things out but this one's got me baffled and I'm kind of at my limit on carb know-how.  Any comments or suggestions will be welcome.  Thanks.

Baddaddy
My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'03 FLHTCUI w/BigBore, V&H, Thunderstars
'05 FLHTCSE2 Two Tone Cherry
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: EVO Carb Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »

Baddaddy,

When you tore the carb down, did you remove the accel pump discharge tube (nozzle) from the float bowl cover?  If you did, make sure you reinstalled the check valve under the tube.  Without the check valve, fuel will just flow back into the bowl rather than out the nozzle.  If you didn't remove the nozzle, you may need to do so to clean out the tiny passages in the nozzle and in the cover.  You definitely should see and hear a spritz from the nozzle when you open the throttle.

Also, make sure the float level is still correct.  If you readjusted it, it is quite easy to set it wrong if you don't follow the instructions to the letter, due to the spring-loaded needle.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »

Thanks Jerry,

I did remove the tube and made sure it was clear.  Check valve ball and weight are in correctly (ball first and then weight). Removed and blew air through with no problem.  I'm beginning to think it's the diaphram in the accel pump or as you said, the float is sticking up.  The float assembly was the one thing I didn't disassemble and it appeared to be working freely. 
My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'03 FLHTCUI w/BigBore, V&H, Thunderstars
'05 FLHTCSE2 Two Tone Cherry
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

m.i.a.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »

Check to make sure that the rod is in as they fall out of the linkage and get lost, and make sure that you did not put the accellerator pump diaphragm in upside down. Another thing that will make a CV run like #$%^ is the needle jet. It is the little silver jet that goes on top of the main jet holder and the needle sticks in it. There is a top and a bottom on this, if you put it in upside down it makes the bike run terrible. The top is beveled on the inside slightly, the bottom that goes against the main jet tube/holder is square.
Hope this helps
Marines may guard the gates of heaven
A job they may do well!!!
But it takes a paratrooper
To guard the gates of Hell!!!

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.