Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Brake Light Switch on 95 Heritage.  (Read 4005 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Rear Brake Light Switch on 95 Heritage.
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »

Here is a good one. My original rear brake light switch ( I know you all know this, but it screws into the rear brake line and works by the pressure of the brake fluid). Well anyways my original one lasted from brand new June 1995 until June of 2007. I paid to have a new one  installed because I realized it had gone bad the day before I was leaving for a long trip.(parts and labor $63.95 at my local HD Dealer). They did not bother to bleed the line and the pedal felt good until I got about 300 miles from home then got to the point I had to bleed the brake line in my motel parking lot. That one lasted until November of 2007 and I had another one installed and  told them to make sure they bled the brakes. (another $63.25). I should mention that this part no. 72023-51D. The original one that lasted from 1995 until 2007 was much larger and the part no was 72023-51B. Then in may of 2009 I noticed that it went out again. (very easy to check just cross the wires and push on the brake pedal if light come on then it is the switch). I had my bike in there for a new charging system replacement so I told them to put another new brake light switch This time they charged me $56.35 for parts and remove and replace switch, plus another $11.95 for brake fluid and $46.25 to bleed the brakes. Are you laughing yet? This is the 3rd new switch not counting the original. I called HD and told them my story and they sent me a store credit for $63.25. Okay I was happy and that was a nice thing. Well guess what it went out again last week. So I got on the phone and called HD customer service, talked the same girl as last year and she is going to send me a $50.00 Store credit. I told her that was nice and everything, but asked her why I was getting all these faulty switches. She said she will pass my situation to their engineering dept. So when I install the latest one (which I will do myself ) it will make a total of five switches counting the original. It is not really funny, and I apologize for the lenghty post, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. Also the first switch lasted 55,000 miles. These last four only lasted up until 64,460.(got a new 09 so the Heritage sit more then it used to) CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: Rear Brake Light Switch on 95 Heritage.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »

Wow what a story, it really sucks doesnt it when the replacement parts get more expensive but are of inferior quality and design to the original robust equipment

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:19:16 PM »

Can't find it handy but somewhere around have an automotive cross reference for that switch.  Accel makes one with a Harley fitment in its description in the aftermarket also. 

Those screw in brake light switches use to be relatively common.  The old car applications did begin to have problems with modern brake fluids though (they'd leak).  That got sorted out years ago though.  Repetitive electrical failure is just cheap parts.  The automotive cross reference part's price I do remember though.  Got one a year or so ago for about $5.00.  Just looked on eBay and saw several of the Accel brand switches for around $10.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »

Replaced one on my 95 Fatboy last week it was the original one.... cost me 12.00 bucks from Drag....

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.