Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Added switch to disconnet headlight ground when starting.  (Read 4213 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Added switch to disconnet headlight ground when starting.
« on: June 18, 2011, 07:36:56 PM »

Hi, I have an 1995 FLSTN. I added an S&S 107.(several earlier posts on all the problems with this engine, but all is okay now) S0 I now have 107 inches with auto compression release, but I still have a stock(new) starter and charging system. On occassion I would have to hit the starter button a couple of times to get the starter to kick the motor over and start (always on battery tender). So I decided add a switch so I could shut off the headlight when hitting the starter button and give more juice to the starter. This works fine. All this switch does is break the continuity of the headlight ground. It has no connection to any other wires. Basically routed from the ground wire to the switch and from the switch back the the 3 prong headlight plug. Here is a wierd thing that happens: When I have the ignition on and the headlight switch  shut off my high beam indicator comes on whether the headlight is on high beam or low beam. As soon as I flip the switch to turn the headlight on the highbeam indicator shuts off and all is normal and when I switch to high beam the indicator comes on  like it is suppose to. The switch is a typical toggle switch you would purchase at any auto parts store metal with two connections. The swtich is rated up to 240 watts, the package sayes it has a low voltage capacity and to use in circuts of 20 amps and 12 volts or less.Maybe a need a more powerfull switch. Any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Added switch to disconnet headlight ground when starting.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »

Does the same thing happen when you have the ground wire physically dosconnected...or only when breaking the circuit with the switch?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »

Cutting the ground as described will cause the indicator to ghost on.  The little indicator light has its own ground.  So it's powered normally when the high beam lights are switched on (regardless of ground at the headlight).  If there's no ground at the headlight and the low beams are selected 12v will walk across the elements in the headlight to ghost the indicator light on also.

Anyone ever have an older vintage car with bad grounds at one of the corner turn signal housings?  When that happened the indicators on the dash would ghost on.  Same thing that's happening here.  Juice is going to do its best to go somewhere.

You can either live with it as you've created or route the high beam indicator light's separate ground through your switch also.  That is if that indicator light actually has a separate ground.  I think I remember those all being two wire plugs to those little lights.  But if it grounds through its housing you're screwed and won't (easily) change it.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »

dayne66, I will try that when I get a chance. However, as soon as I turn the headlight on and complete the ground circuit everything goes back to normal. I kind of figured that some juice was working its way back to the high beam indicator as Twolanerider suggested, but since everything goes back to normal when I flip the switch to turn the headlight on I think I will leave it the way it is. However, I will check my voltage at idle to make sure it is not affecting anyting in my charging system. Thanks again for your input. CAHDBIKER

Does the same thing happen when you have the ground wire physically dosconnected...or only when breaking the circuit with the switch?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »

Twolane is spott on on the ghost.  

We used to cut the wire that powered the light on when starting.  All you then had to do was turn the switch one more click for the headlight.  Has been over ten years since I have done it to a Softtail and I am not 100% sure the wire color, I believe it was yellow.  
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:48:08 AM »

Chains, cutting the low beam wire is a good idea. I do believe it is yellow.I wish I would have thought of that. For some reason when I want to control a light I automatically think "cut and put a switch on ground " I recently did the same thing to my Honda CRF450X with no issues. However, since I already cut the ground, soldered everything all up and covered it with shrink wrap and electrical tape it will have to do. Thank you for your input. It is nice to know that this site has so many people that are willing to pass along some good information. CAHDBIKER

We used to cut the wire that powered the light on when starting.  All you then had to do was turn the switch one more click for the headlight.  Has been over ten years since I have done it to a Softtail and I am not 100% sure the wire color, I believe it was yellow.  

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »

Chains, so far everything is working fine as is. With the headlight off the stock starter kicks over  my 107 S&S(which has ACR ) on the first hit and as soon as it fires I flip the headlight on with the switch I installed and the ghost light disappears. So I will leave it alone. Thanks again for everyone's imput. CAHDBIKER

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 24 queries.