CVO Technical > EVO

Bike Just Died While Riding. Need some Help

(1/6) > >>

JayKael87:
I have a 1996 Heritage Softail, I recently bought it from my father in law who took great care of it. The only issue it's ever really had was with the stock pushrods which I replaced with the adjustable quickies that solved that issue
Recently I've changed my stock bars with 18" apes. I did the replacement myself 100% correct, Harley brand extension, shrink wrap and all that and have had no issues with it.

Two days ago I was riding into work going about 50mph and without any warning or signs of anything going wrong it just died on me. I thought maybe one of my rods was maybe loose and feel on me but they were all in place at the correct position. I tried to restart the bike and it sounded like it wasn't getting spark. I replaced the spark plugs and still nothing. I thought it might be the starter solenoid or whatever but did a spark test and power test and everything is functioning properly. I have an aftermarket starter solenoid on it so I replaced it with the stock one and still nothing. I've pretty much troubleshot everything but am starting to think that it may be the fuses. Does this sound like a fuse blowing to you guys? Almost everything else on the bike is brand new and in great shape. What do you guys think? Please help, I've spent more time wrenching and troubleshooting the bike than I have riding it and it's driving me nuts. I love my bike and never want to get rid of it, but keep having dumb chit like this happen and am starting to get pissed.

JayKael87:
Also when I first replaced the pushrods I had them too tight and when I tried to start it up the rods being too tight wouldn't allow the cam to spin, this not allowing the bike to start. When I try to start it now it's kind of making the same sound it did when that happened. I did check out my pushrods and they all look good. I don't think that riding with the adjustable pushrods tightened to the correct length, would allow them to loosen up AND then tighten too tight, Right? Doesn't make sense

rayson56:
Sounds like an electrical issue, coils or ignition maybe. A good tech with the proper tools would probably have it diagnosed in a matter of minutes. Maybe some of the techs here can shed some light.

bbrown:
Give us a report once you figure it out....Good luck.

grc:
Does the engine turn over with the starter?  How about the lights and instruments when you turn the ignition switch on?  If all of that still works, you can eliminate something like the main circuit breaker (bikes back then had a circuit breaker rather than the main fuse used these days, and they were problematic).  Check the kill switch, those have also been problematic on older models.  Check for proper spark output, you can get a simple spark tester at auto parts stores.  You need to verify not just a spark, but a strong enough spark to ignite the mixture under compression.  If the engine was running fine without any abnormal noises and just quit running instantaneously, odds are it is an electrical problem and not mechanical.

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version