CVO Technical > EVO

engine noise

(1/3) > >>

Striker:
Anyone got a suggestion?  Built an EVO up for performance.  Getting a noise from the engine like the revlimiter is kicking in, but can accelerate thru it, but the noise continues.

This is the build.  KB 9.5-1 pistons, ported heads, Leineweber E5S cam, Screamin' Eagle Series II adjustable curve ignition, super trap slip ons or Basinni 2-1 Ceramic system, (doesn't make a difference) performance mods on the carb, excel petcock.

The limiter is set for 7k rpms, the noise will start in any gear at 6k.  It has a sound like the lifter springs are collapsing, but it still has power.  Put is S&S springs just in case.  The noise is very loud, high speed rattle.  The mechanic can't figure it out.  Says it probably is external, but the sound goes hand in hand with a momentary power loss, then takes off again if I hold it.  

The bike is very fast, is running 95" twin cams in the ground, so I am stumped.  Anyone ever had this kind of problem?  Been messing with it for the past 8 months.

sailordb:
Can you verify that the rev limiter is good? I had one that would sputter like that. And, once had a carb with a leakey accelerator pump that would act very simular.

Striker:
started with a police module, then went to the screamin' eagle, then replaced the screamin' eagle, all with the same problem.  The performance is there, so I don't think it is the carb.  But the noise is like a loud lifter spring is rattling, but only happens when I hit 3k revs.  The rev limiter is adjustable, and does it at all settings.

sailordb:
It is just possible that you are floating a vavle at 6k.

DCFIREMANN:
What is the lift on the cam? Is it possible you have a valve or a valve spring problem? Maybe even a broken spring. Also what type of lifters and carb?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version