Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Very disappointed in HD Led headlight  (Read 20760 times)

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
Re: Very disappointed in HD Led headlight
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »

I installed the Truck Lite Phase 7 headlights and passing lamps... Had to adjust my headlight because it was shining 1' higher than the stock bulb..... I also installed the HD passing lamp switch so I can have my high beams and passing lamps on at the same time which made a big difference for my side lighting.
When I adjusted the headlight I had someone sitting on the bike so it was aimed correctly.
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

I found a solution last night to the light cutoff in the curves. Get a fat chick on back, it raises the light up some and you have to go slower in the curves.

Seriously though, the adjustment is critical on these LED's. I had to tweak mine several times before I was happy with them, passing lamps and headlight. After the installation and set-up according to instructions I could have been scanning for incoming aircraft with the headlamp. Had to lower them considerably from the "correct" setting in the instructions. Happy with them now but, you are right, they do leave a bit of a dark spot in the curves.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »

I have the Truck Lite Phase 7 also and love it.  it is a huge improvement over the 2 bulb stock head lamp.  I also have the passing lamps too.  As everyone here has stated there is some adjustments that need to be made.  I raised mine because I felt the low beam was not out far enough.  Now When I use the high beams, I own the roadway.  I can see a long long way and love it especially on the back roads.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

O4SEGlide

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:23:54 AM »

Can anyone chime in on the LED passing lamps with condensation showin up inside the lens? After my lights are on for period of riding they get condensation that shows up behind the lens. The lens appears to be sealed so I can't figure this one out. I have my Harley shop checking to see if this is a defect with the product. Thanks

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

I remember reading about this when they first came out ( I believe you are referring to the H-D L.E.D. lights)  They said that they seem to have a haze on the lens after being on for a short time.  I also remember hearing by my dealership that they did infact have a problem with them and that they must have made a change to othem because the product number changed....  :nixweiss:

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »

For the turns, the cutoff is so sharp that I cannot see into the curve.  The lenses are so good at concentrating the light, that there is no "scatter" to light up the areas that the beams are not pointed at.  I love the lights otherwise.  My next step is to put on a set of Moto-Lights in addition to the LEDs.
Spada84
NoSofa!

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »

Install the hd harness so you can run your passing lamps when your high beams are on... $25 and works great!
Just don't follow hd instructions .. They tell you to remove the outer fairing when you can just remove two screws on your ignition switch house and reach under the cover to plug it in.
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »

I remember reading about this when they first came out ( I believe you are referring to the H-D L.E.D. lights)  They said that they seem to have a haze on the lens after being on for a short time.  I also remember hearing by my dealership that they did infact have a problem with them and that they must have made a change to othem because the product number changed

+1

I have a set that are doing the same thing,must be old stock,they are getting replaced
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »

I remember reading about this when they first came out ( I believe you are referring to the H-D L.E.D. lights)  They said that they seem to have a haze on the lens after being on for a short time.  I also remember hearing by my dealership that they did infact have a problem with them and that they must have made a change to othem because the product number changed

+1

I have a set that are doing the same thing,must be old stock,they are getting replaced

I am not sure if they are or not but they have a one year warranty

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »

I have the Kuryakyn (Trucklite) Phase 6 Led headlamp and passing lamps.  My friend has the Phase 7.  We took both bikes to a local cemetary where there are no lights at all on a very dark night.  We parked side by side and went back and forth with his lights on then mine.  My Phase 6's were undeniably brighter.  His Phase 7's stretched further to each side, although quite dim in the areas where his extended further.  There was some question as to whose gave the longest distance lighting.  Since that date, we have both added the harness to allow the passing lamps to stay on the with high beams and we are both amazed at the additional lighting this provides.

I am extremely pleased with the Phase 6 lights.  He had just replaced his Phase 6's with the Phase 7's that day and decided on keeping the Phase 7's, but I think he did so more because he likes the looks of the Phase 7's on the bike and felt that either route was a huge improvement over the stock lamps.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I had HID's on mine before replacing them with the Phase 6's and the LED's are literally a night and day improvement over the HID's also.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 07:09:55 AM »

I adjusted mine following the instructions, and wasn't happy. Moved it a bit lower, and it's much better now. For me it's now a clear improvement to the stock lights.
Next improvement would be lights that turn in curves (like BMW has in the new 1600 GTL and GT) - but I guess we'll have to wait a few years before this becomes available for HD.

With counter steering, wouldnt lights that turn in the curves be worse?

Big Red

• 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

on some twisties and the light cuts off quick in the curves leaving where you are going dark.

im glad im not the only one who has this $800 problem. the lights throw a flat beam even when aimed correctly. The lights have no glare to see around the curves. My best headlight setup was using the LED spots and puting HID conversion kit into the factory headlight housing.

lnadler

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »

I have the LED headlight and passing lamps and added the connector that keeps the passing lamps on when the high beam is on.  I find the LED passing lamps keeps the road lit on turns.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 08:32:54 AM »

I have the Kuryakyn (Trucklite) Phase 6 Led headlamp and passing lamps.  My friend has the Phase 7.  We took both bikes to a local cemetary where there are no lights at all on a very dark night.  We parked side by side and went back and forth with his lights on then mine.  My Phase 6's were undeniably brighter.  His Phase 7's stretched further to each side, although quite dim in the areas where his extended further.  There was some question as to whose gave the longest distance lighting.  Since that date, we have both added the harness to allow the passing lamps to stay on the with high beams and we are both amazed at the additional lighting this provides.

I am extremely pleased with the Phase 6 lights.  He had just replaced his Phase 6's with the Phase 7's that day and decided on keeping the Phase 7's, but I think he did so more because he likes the looks of the Phase 7's on the bike and felt that either route was a huge improvement over the stock lamps.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I had HID's on mine before replacing them with the Phase 6's and the LED's are literally a night and day improvement over the HID's also.

Gotta agree with your buddy. The Phase 7's look much cleaner. Can't get my head around them 6's
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »

Either of you decide to sell, let me know.  I'm thinking about getting the trucklite.

I have the Trucklite and I love it.  :2vrolijk_21:  Ditches and signs I never saw before are now lit up.   ;D
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.