Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Demo Ride 2014 CVO Limited  (Read 8342 times)

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
Demo Ride 2014 CVO Limited
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »

We got a chance to do a 25 minute demo ride of a new CVO Limited yesterday and I thought I would share our observations as I know we all search tirelessly for some thread of info on the new bikes when they come out, well at least I did! The Harley Demo Fleet was at a dealer not to far from us so we decided to make a day of it and go visit to see if we could get a chance to ride one of the bikes. There was quite a few folks there, band playing and great BBQ even a guy with a bad ass looking  trike powered buy a 327.
So we put our name on the list to ride a New CVO Limited, had to wait about and hour before our turn came around, the skies were turning dark but we jumped on, and off we went (as soon as I located the new starter buttons)!
First impressions: Handlebar controls are much different and will take a read of the manual, the cluster on the right above the starter button also houses the 4way flasher control, actually a good place for it.. But the controls will take a bit to get used too. The turn signal switches are positioned much more naturally, and had a good feel to them.I didn't really play around with all the other switches and joysticks too much(besides figuring out how to get the intercom and radio playing). The front end feels stalkier maybe smoother, more solid feeling, we really didn't get to highway speeds so hard to tell, but it didn't feel quite as loose as mine (2013 CVO  Ultra). Brakes; Wow!! big improvement, their actually very solid, smooth and quick to stop, big plus in my book. Seating position for me was a good inch higher, passenger height was maybe a little more than that..The seat was night and day difference from mine on the 2013, much more padding in the areas you need it most and not so much in the places you don't. My lady said that the rear seat was really comfortable and felt so much better that our current ride. It's about an inch wider for rider and 2" for pax and a bit more front to back length also. The driver backrest is also more padded a little wider and curved,  and the pax backrest was redesigned and more comfortable, they also moved the intercom plug for the pax so that it comes thru the side of the backrest, better solid mount, very nice. I want to see if there is some way to get that seat on my 2013. Huge Plus!!! The 110 engine seemed to pull just fine, sounded like a stock 110, not as much engine noise as mine, exhaust note was pretty good with the stock pipes. Heat; yup the heat seemed the same to me; I really didn't notice much difference in the amount of heat on my right thigh, but I didn't notice any additional heat from the radiator ports which was good. lets see what else; the windscreen is taller than the 13's by a good couple of inches, didn't get to notice any change in buffeting from the vent as we didn't get going past 55. I did notice that the positioning of the 4 gauges in the dash is a problem! They're positioned at such an angle that you can't see them well at all, too much reflected glare from whats above you, whether it be sky or trees, very mirror like effect. The fact that the dash panel is also painted a gloss black is no help either. The size of the gauges are bigger, but poorly angled, not a fan! As I said, I didn't have much of an opportunity to play with the 6.5 "infotainment center" but it was quickly responsive to the controls or a gloved hand and the screen was easy to read(it is positioned well!!!) and the colour, brightness and contrast were easy to see in any light. As we were riding the back roads we had the opportunity to hit some dips and bumps and uneven road surfaces, the front end seemed to navigate the uneven surfaces well but at times the bike felt bouncy and not as smooth as our "13", I wonder if this particular demo bike had a bad shock or something, it was very pogo like at times.
To sum it up I would say I like some of the new features, Brakes, Bigger front end, Seat comfort, 6.5 "Infotainment Sys".
What didn't Wow me was the fairing lower glove boxes, door and latch felt cheap and like they wouldn't last long, the dash and gauge reflection, the rear tourpak lighting strip, not painted to match, I think the front vent should be painted as well, on the CVO's. The paint scheme didn't really do anything for me, I was hoping to like the blue but after seeing the Daytona blue combo on a Street Glide and ultra Limited, the CVO paled in comparison (to each his own, just my opinion)I would like to see custom colour options for the CVO, The 103's have more that the CVO. No dash pad (I know they would have to work around the vent), it seemed to me that they didn't spend much time trying to make the CVO Limited special this year, it's got the 110, but besides a lot of chrome etc, its missing the extra WOW factor that I would expect from a new CVO. Nice bike; it's a CVO, but left me with the feeling that I'll wait a year and see what 2015 brings...again apologize for the run on commentary...And keep in mind my views are only from a 25 minute ride...Hope to get a chance to take a longer ride sometime in the future.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:53:35 AM by flyguy »

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

Re: Demo Ride 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »

Thanks for your input  :2vrolijk_21:

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »

x2
Thanks for your honest unbiased input.
I am def going to wait at least a year before considering one of these.

Big Dave

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »

Very detailed report Flyguy.

I too found that really blew it with the inner fairing dash...  Way too much glare making it quite difficult to read them and with so many finger prints all over the touch screen I had trouble reading it as well.  I have since discovered that you don't have to touch the screen at all because everything is able to be controlled by the switches on the bars.

I loved the ride and comfort without a doubt and the new bags and TourPac are a great improvement.  I do wonder what all those spare buttons are for though... The ones on either side of the ignition switch.  :nixweiss:  Six bottons and only 3 used on the CVO and only 1 used on the Limited... Must be something coming in the future.

Great report and thanks for sharing your thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:17:00 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:28 AM »

Thanks for your great  and unbiased write-up!
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »

Thanks for the very thorough report! It's always good to hear from people with no axe to grind, who have actually ridden the bikes.

They can fix a lot of things next year... but the new gauge position they really can't. Non-glare coatings on the gauge faces might help with the glare though.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

Sounds like you were at St Charles HD with the mention of the BBQ. There's at least 3 of us on here that rode the same bike on Sat  :2vrolijk_21: A couple of things We (the better half and I) observed,,, When at a stop and the fans were running, there was a LOT OF HEAT getting pushed out of the vents in the lowers from the fans. I'm just wondering if there will be any issues with the paint or maybe warping of the plastic over time because of this. My wife also stated that when we were at idle the back end of this particular bike was vibrating so bad her teeth were chattering almost (we also rode the 103 Limited and she didn't have that issue). She said the new seat area gave some extra room and the seat was comfy for the short ride that we were on. I did like the stiffer front suspension and makes me rethink the idea of leaving mine stock on my 11.

and another note..... for those of you riding Demo Day bikes,,,,, be prepared to have a helluva time with that shifter set up. They've got the damn things about 6" above the floor boards (or so it seems) making it a PITA to shift without having to move your foot all over the place.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:33:04 AM »

Our Demo was actually out of Appalachian Harley in Mechanicsburg PA, my better half also noticed the vibration when we were slow or stopped. Other thing she noticed when she got off was that right at the back of the seat there were a bunch of wiring just kind of hanging out across the back fender. Guessing that it being a "demo bike" some things might not have been tucked up as well as a production model. Dunknow!
Did you notice an suspension bounce?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »

Maybe that vibration is the excessive pinion runout  :o

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

Re: Re: Re: Demo Ride 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »

Our Demo was actually out of Appalachian Harley in Mechanicsburg PA, my better half also noticed the vibration when we were slow or stopped. Other thing she noticed when she got off was that right at the back of the seat there were a bunch of wiring just kind of hanging out across the back fender. Guessing that it being a "demo bike" some things might not have been tucked up as well as a production model. Dunknow!
Did you notice an suspension bounce?
I didn't really notice a suspension "bounce" on the one we rode. It did seem like the front handled a lot better than my 11. Then again I am comparing an RGU to an ECU so the weight on the steering does feel different.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:43:49 PM by Ohiobellboy »

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »

I'm guessing that what we felt was either poorly adjusted rear shocks or something faulty in the demo's suspension.. I think they get quite a workout without a lot of service in a short period. No problems with the shifter position on ours. Loved the brakes and the seat..Want the seat!!!!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to post all of your thoughts. Helps me a lot. Probably be hanging on to my 2011 for at least another year unless I see/feel things much different when (If) I get to ride one.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »

Really appreciate all the feedback from you guys that have had the opportunity to ride the new models. This info is invaluable and doesn't get printed in the magazines.  Keep it coming.   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »

Would you consider keeping the stock exhaust on the bike instead of an aftermarket version?

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »

I want to also thank you guys for these reports -
BryantH

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:45:38 PM »

Would you consider keeping the stock exhaust on the bike instead of an aftermarket version?
nope. But then again, my first HD had some nice sounding SE slipons and the one I have now has a D&D Fat Cat on it. I'm not sure how a stock HD is supposed to sound :D

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »

By exhaust do you mean "header pipes" or "mufflers"? The "demo" with the stock exhaust system sounded good, I like having the CAT removed so the heat is less and the exhaust flows better . I know I picked up about 12-15 HP with a Power commander V and a good Dyno tune. With what i've done I still feel it's a bit hotter than I would like still, so I'll keep looking for solutions.
 So yes I would replace the header pipe, leave the stock mufflers and I would go for a tuning module that you can use your stock or wide band sensors with (auto tune). I think thats a better solution than without them. The Jackpot 2-1-2 headers come with ports (bungs, sorry) for both wide and narrow band sensors if I'm correct. I'm going to try going back to 02's the next round and see what I think; it's a process.:)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:16:38 PM by flyguy »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 08:40:30 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I personally saw the blue CVO Limited Ultra at my local dealer fresh off the trailer and it did nothing for me  :nixweiss: I found the paint scheme boring, rear light bar on the tour pak meh, rear render setup left something to be desired. I thought the 6.5" infotainment system was cool because I love technology, however my understanding is the controls can be cumbersome and the GPS system leaves some features to be desired. Only 4 speakers on the bike and the tour pak doesn't come off which really sucks if you want to transform your Ultra into a SG when doing local rides.

All in all I am glad I have a '12 CVO SG and didn't see anything in this years line up I like over my own bike. Looks like I get to keep my mistress at least another year  :bananarock:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I personally saw the blue CVO Limited Ultra at my local dealer fresh off the trailer and it did nothing for me  :nixweiss: I found the paint scheme boring, rear light bar on the tour pak meh, rear render setup left something to be desired. I thought the 6.5" infotainment system was cool because I love technology, however my understanding is the controls can be cumbersome and the GPS system leaves some features to be desired. Only 4 speakers on the bike and the tour pak doesn't come off which really sucks if you want to transform your Ultra into a SG when doing local rides.

All in all I am glad I have a '12 CVO SG and didn't see anything in this years line up I like over my own bike. Looks like I get to keep my mistress at least another year  :bananarock:
Gotta agree with you on that one. The 12 SESGs are some of the best looking Batwings I've seen colorwise.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »

Gotta agree with you on that one. The 12 SESGs are some of the best looking Batwings I've seen colorwise.

Thanks Ohio, they really have their hands full trying to please us '12 CVO SG owners. They just did too good of a job and it's gonna be hard to beat IMO!

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »

Yep Agree; seems like they rushed it a little this time out. Shoulda waited 6 months to roll out something really special, using comments from the 103 limited to make the CVO the Marque it should be..

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

Thanks Ohio, they really have their hands full trying to please us '12 CVO SG owners. They just did too good of a job  :2vrolijk_21:and it's gonna be hard to beat IMO!

Couldn't agree more with you Jesse  :2vrolijk_21:  I love my RED SG  :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

Couldn't agree more with you Jesse  :2vrolijk_21:  I love my RED SG  :P
Hell yeah Judy!  8)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 11:24:01 PM »

Thanks Ohio, they really have their hands full trying to please us '12 CVO SG owners. They just did too good of a job and it's gonna be hard to beat IMO!
Impossible.......Ruby's damn near perfect!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »

Couldn't agree more with you Jesse  :2vrolijk_21:  I love my RED SG  :P

Impossible.......Ruby's damn near perfect!

Yeah, what you guys said!  :2vrolijk_21:

But the ORANGE ones are the FASTEST!!!   :orange: :carrot: :orange: :carrot: :orange:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

rcamp2009

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 05:28:50 AM »

X2
2019 FLHXSE
Ghost
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.