Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: 6.5 GT Radio Issues .... anybody experience any ?  (Read 23888 times)

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
6.5 GT Radio Issues .... anybody experience any ?
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »

Have a 2014 FLHTKSE.  Just got back from Ocean City Bike week ... bike ran great !   The twin cooling really works well !  The splitstream vent in the fairing seems to do its job as well.   Brakes are very SOLID ....  did not notice anything negative with the linked brakes.  Bike handles like a dream.   Overall, impressed with all of the upgrades.

I do have one minor issue with the bike ... the radio.   When you turn the bike on, the radio boots and only the rear speakers work.  I need to go to the fader and move it slightly for the front speakers to come on.  It does this, I'd say, 3 times out of 5.   I did upgrade the firmware on the radio to 1.17.1.1 prior to going on my trip.    Does anyone else out there have any radio issues similar to this ?

Bike is only 200 miles away from the 1K service so, I can have the dealership take a look at it as well.  

Bike gets TONS of looks and it runs like a champ !!  I really like everything the MoCo did with it.   I'm thankful to report I have no coolant leakage at all.   Only thing the bike needs is ... a little more sound.  I'll be taking care of that soon !   (Thanks for the advice Yellowbird !!   Good meeting you at Seaford H-D)

-Tim
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:32:28 AM by tpcrawford »
2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
Re: 6.5 GT Radio Issues .... anybody experience any ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »

Tim,

Good looking Rig you have there my Friend!

Enjoyed meeting and talking w/ you.

:2vrolijk_21:

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:57:19 PM »

Yes, as you know from the other thread my bike does the exact same thing.  I'll let you know if I figure out a solution, and please let me know if you do as well. :) 
I agree, everything else about the bike is totally awesome!  Tonight, I even used the heated grips and seat.  My Wife was loving the heated seat big time. :)

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

KE8LW

• 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »

I had the same problem with mine.  H-D has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out that can correct this by Flashing the boom audio amp system.  Takes about 1/2 hour.

I did mine today and it has worked great ever since.  BTW to get by for now you can go hit the fade button and it will activate the front until you can to the dealer.
2014 FLHTKSE - 110" 96HP / 112 TQ
2008 FLHTCU - 121 HP / 127 TQ 120R
1999 FLHTCUI - 88" slight cam
2004 FXDLI - 88" Bone Stock :(

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »

I had the same problem with mine.  H-D has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out that can correct this by Flashing the boom audio amp system.  Takes about 1/2 hour.

I did mine today and it has worked great ever since.  BTW to get by for now you can go hit the fade button and it will activate the front until you can to the dealer.
So do I have to take to the dealer to do the flash the system?  I've done the firmware update I downloaded from HD site.

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:48:42 PM »

So do I have to take to the dealer to do the flash the system?  I've done the firmware update I downloaded from HD site.

Sweet !!!   Did you flash it or did the dealer ?   Do you know what the TSB number is ?

Thanks !!!!

-Tim
2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »

Picking mine up in a few weeks.

I do not want linked ABS brakes. That's for people that can't ride!

ABS is bad enough but linking them is almost criminal. Good thing it's electronic so I can get rid of both.

Can't wait to get mine

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 12:35:44 AM »

I had the same issue, too.  Flashed and it seemed to go away.  Unfortunately, I think I have a bad speaker in the front.  Technician thought it may be a bad sub.  Sound was weak.  The new speaker is in - I may be able to get it installed in the morning, but if it's going to take too long I'll just let it ride till later.  We have a rally going on in the Hill Country and I am not going to let a speaker prevent me from riding.... :cucumber:

Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:50 AM »

I had the same issue, too.  Flashed and it seemed to go away.  Unfortunately, I think I have a bad speaker in the front.  Technician thought it may be a bad sub.  Sound was weak.  The new speaker is in - I may be able to get it installed in the morning, but if it's going to take too long I'll just let it ride till later.  We have a rally going on in the Hill Country and I am not going to let a speaker prevent me from riding.... :cucumber:

Regards,

Mark

Does the dealer have to flash it?

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »

Does the dealer have to flash it?

No, you can do it yourself in a few minutes.  The release notes mention a "display" issue with the fader, so I think that may be the fix.

here is a link to the download page.  There are versions for each of the stereo types.   http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

You just need a flash drive.  You may have received one with your CVO that will work.  If not any standard thumb drive with enough free space will work.

If it looks like something you are uncomfortable doing, your dealer can do it for you.  I was talking  to our service manager and he now keeps the latests updates on a thumb drive and checks all the bikes when they come in.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 08:47:15 AM »

No, you can do it yourself in a few minutes.  The release notes mention a "display" issue with the fader, so I think that may be the fix.

here is a link to the download page.  There are versions for each of the stereo types.   http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/infotainment/software-downloads.html

You just need a flash drive.  You may have received one with your CVO that will work.  If not any standard thumb drive with enough free space will work.

If it looks like something you are uncomfortable doing, your dealer can do it for you.  I was talking  to our service manager and he now keeps the latests updates on a thumb drive and checks all the bikes when they come in.

Best Regards,

Mark

Thanks, yes, I updated my firmware to the latest version the day right after getting the bike.  I do remember seeing something about the fader, but it didn't fix my problem with the fader.  Maybe I'll try to flash it again.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »

ABS Criminal?? Could be the #1 safety improvement ever made on bikes, if not #1 it is close to top. Have not tried one with the linked brakes but they only work above 20MPH which should make them a very good addition for any rider.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »

Braking distance with ABS is longer than braking distance with "standard" brakes and a proficient rider.

ABS is only good for people that don't care to learn how to ride properly. (Or in this case stop properly)

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »

No issues with the radio works really well.......on my 2014 FLHTK.....Cant find Neutral......
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »

Braking distance with ABS is longer than braking distance with "standard" brakes and a proficient rider.

I would agree with that statement with one caveat: That the test be performed under ideal conditions, on dry flat level ground, clean and free of debris, dirt, sand, leaves, pebbles, grass cuttings, an other lose material, and that the ABS equipped bike has the ABS deployed the whole time.

When I went though police motor school the instructors did a braking demo that impressed me.

On the training grounds, under those above described conditions, the instructors demonstrated a comparison between an old Kawasaki Police bike, and MY service BMW RT with ABS. At 40mph, the KZP using good threshold combination braking stopped shorter and quicker than the BMW WITH the ABS deployed. This happened every time they ran the test under the above conditions. and it was a marked difference in stopping distance. Now, under the SAME conditions, with the BMW brought to the threshold of ABS deployment,....where the ABS did NOT kick in, the BMW stopped better than or equal to the KZP.

Then they wet the surface to imitate a light rain or sprinkler run off. WITH the ABS deployed the BMW stopped quicker than the KZP. Then they went to sand on the road. Same thing, with ABS deployed, the BMW stopped quicker and shorter. Next gravel and then dirt. If the KZP over braked, the wheels would lock inducing a skid. Time and again the KZP was NOT able to modulate the brakes enough to out perform the BMW with ABS deployed.

The whole reason for this demos was two fold.

First, to let the motor officer candidates know that a rider with good braking skills, on a non ABS equipped bike, is capable of stopping as well as or better than an ABS bike,...(and here's the caveat),...under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions (like most folks experience every day) and in the hands of good rider, the ABS bike has an advantage.

The second reason, (and my favorite one by the way), was to impress upon the motor officer the Importance Of Regular Practice.  If your bike does not have ABS it's important to practice good threshold combination braking. If your bike does have ABS, it's MORE important that you practice good threshold combination braking.

ABS is NOT meant to deploy every time the brakes are applied. If that happens, the rider is probably over braking and causing the ABS to kick in unnecessarily. ABS is meant to deploy when the brakes are used under less than ideal conditions, wet roads, bumpy or buckled pavement, sand, dirt, leaves,...all that stuff we find on the road everyday.

Speaking for only myself, as a veteran and experienced rider, I like ABS. I think it's one of the best improvements in the world of motorcycling. As one of the instructors said, it takes that human "Oh $hit" factor out that sometimes comes under adverse circumstances. I can only hope that those with ABS equipped bikes go out at least once a month and practice braking. I hope those without ABS practice as well.

Practice can only make you a better and safer rider.

But I could be wrong.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.